Raleigh Pioneer Metro LX bottom bracket spec and repair?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mrsjspie

Raleigh Pioneer Metro LX bottom bracket spec and repair?

Postby mrsjspie » 8 Aug 2014, 6:11pm

Hi. I've just bought a second hand Pioneer Metro LX and the bottom bracket needs replacing. I know absolutely nothing about bikes. Does anyone know what type of bracket this bike takes and how much it might cost to get it repaired (or whether I could do it myself?)? Help very much appreciated!

gaz

Re: Raleigh Pioneer Metro LX bottom bracket spec and repair?

Postby gaz » 8 Aug 2014, 7:23pm

Welcome to the forum.

A quick look on google images and I'd be confident that it's a JIS square taper BB with British threads. There's very little chance of determining the required axle length without taking out the old one.

Shimano UN26 is a cheap potential replacement, UN55 would be better.

If you are considering DIY please be aware that there are some bike specific tools required to take out the old one and you may need different bike specific tools to put in the new one.

Guidance on how to do it can be found on ParkTool.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

cjchambers

Postby cjchambers » 8 Aug 2014, 8:27pm

Best way is to take the old one out - if you're lucky, it'll have a sticker on the inside telling you what size (see the pic on Gaz's link). If it doesn't have a sticker, you can take the bottom bracket to a decent, well-stocked bike shop and they will sort you out with a replacement. The UN26 is OK - UN55 has the advantage of having a metal left hand cup instead of the plastic one on the UN26.

It's not a difficult job if you have the right tools, but it is essential to get the correct splined tools.

Brian73

Postby Brian73 » 8 Aug 2014, 10:07pm

A basic VP bottom bracket (Halfords sell them) is £10 I've had a few of these and they're fine for a cheap fix, the UN55 is better quality, but costs more. Check the length of the spindle for correct size.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling ... om-bracket

Fitting can be £5-10 depending on how easy the old one is to remove.

So £15-20 tops

If you do it yourself, you'll need a crank puller and BB removal tool.

If the BB is shot it's worth checking the wheel bearings and headset bearings, the bike may have endured a pressure washer clean at some point.

mrsjspie

Postby mrsjspie » 8 Aug 2014, 11:35pm

Brilliant. Thanks all for your help and advice. Was worried it was going to cost me more than the bike to get fixed! Off to the local bike shop I go...