Shimano 105 front brake & steel fork

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MartinGT

Shimano 105 front brake & steel fork

Post by MartinGT »

Hi Guys

I have a steel fork that was with my Giant Defy 4 when I bought it back on 2009. I have just had the frame & fork resprayed ready to be built into a commuter.

last year when I was using it as a winter trainer and replaced the factory brakes to 105s. The front brake never really sat well on the front and didnt need the rear nut. I thought this was because of a build up of rust and dirt.

Now I have got it back from it being resprayed and cleaned, the front brake is no better, the bolt is not long enough for a nut to get on the back. Do I need a specific brake?
Valbrona

Re: Shimano 105 front brake & steel fork

Post by Valbrona »

It is not the case that the fixing bolts of brakes come in different length. Instead, it is the nuts that come in different lengths, and usually it is the case of finding one that best suits whatever type of fork you are using. The aim is to get a good engagement of threads.
I should coco.
Pandaz

Post by Pandaz »

You can buy 20-25 mm Allen nuts in ebay for a pound or so.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

MartinGT wrote:......last year when I was using it as a winter trainer and replaced the factory brakes to 105s. The front brake never really sat well on the front and didnt need the rear nut. I thought this was because of a build up of rust and dirt.

You should never (and I mean NEVER) run a brake without a rear nut. Not unless you have a death wish.

Now I have got it back from it being resprayed and cleaned, the front brake is no better, the bolt is not long enough for a nut to get on the back. Do I need a specific brake?

long allen key brake nuts in three lengths(also a long brake bolt for conversion of most dual pivot brakes to a nutted fixing)

here;

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s100p0

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: DO NOT RIDE UNTIL SORTED :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Personally I would call into a local quality bike shop, they will probably have a box full of them, as many brakes are supplied with a variety of lengths and no doubt they should quickly be able to work out what length is the most suitable. If successful I dare say they will not charge much, if they do it there and then there fee and a packet of hobnobs normally has all feeling satisfied.

The hobnobs will be required for several reasons, if you actually have been riding a bike with no fixing bolt it will probably make the mechanic all unnecessary and they will then need reviving :lol:. I think it's fair to say you will be told off in the same way that a mother tells off a child a lost child after she's discovered they've been in the toy department all along; the hobnobs will help rebuild what is either an existing or soon to be new long term fulfilling relationship with your local store; they will not forget you that's for sure :roll:

You will not be the first to have scared your local shop, I have many stories, "my brakes squeaked, very proud to say I've cured the problem with some oil on the rims, but now there seems...."

Paul
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
MartinGT

Post by MartinGT »

Thanks for the help.

I shall take the fork and brake to my LBS on Tuesday, the bike isnt built up yet so dont worry :D

Thanks again