Track pumps

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
timdownieuk

Track pumps

Post by timdownieuk »

Maybe too well known generally to be worth a mention but for anyone who *hasn't* got a track pump (and if you're at all serious about cycling you should get one), this one from Wiggle is a fantastic bargain.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-track-pump/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360530834

The quality is fantastic and at the price (£12.99 with free postage) almost unbelievable.

No connection with wiggle, just so pleased with mine I bought another for the motorhome. ;-)

Tim
ANTONISH

Re: Track pumps

Post by ANTONISH »

I use a Zefal HPX frame fit pump. Inflates to 130 psi so not being a track rider I don't need a track pump for pressure.
Also I have the pump with me when I need it :)
timdownieuk

Post by timdownieuk »

ANTONISH wrote:I use a Zefal HPX frame fit pump. Inflates to 130 psi so not being a track rider I don't need a track pump for pressure.
Also I have the pump with me when I need it :)

I have a good frame pump too but for quickly and easily topping your tyres up, a good track pump way out performs a frame pump and makes keeping tyres topped up a pleasure rather than a chore.

Tim
HaroldBriercliffe

Post by HaroldBriercliffe »

I bought the track pump that had the most recommendations on Amazon as the pressure gauge on my car foot pump isn't to be trusted
Cost about £11 plus postage.
Absolutely brilliant it is effortless to operate and does the job nicely.
" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen)
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

timdownieuk wrote: just so pleased with mine I bought another for the motorhome. ;-)

Tim
Yes, agreed, they are also good for topping up car tyres etc :) IIRC old cars were supplied with track pumps rather than foot pumps. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
niggle

Post by niggle »

MikeF wrote:Yes, agreed, they are also good for topping up car tyres etc :) IIRC old cars were supplied with track pumps rather than foot pumps. :wink:

My dad bought a Moskvitch new in the early 1970s which came with a 'track' style pump with a screw on connector. The car was sold a couple of years later and no doubt scrapped before the decade was out, but the pump lives on in his garage giving dependable service to this day.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

timdownieuk wrote:
I have a good frame pump too but for quickly and easily topping your tyres up, a good track pump way out performs a frame pump and makes keeping tyres topped up a pleasure rather than a chore.

Tim

Yep,agreed.
Topeak JoeBlow Sport(on recommendation from Gaz of this parish,Thanks Gaz :) )the absolute bees knees,for £20,I've had it for about five years now,it never fails to impress :)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... -prod39688
They've gone up in price a bit,now £28 :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I have had my Topeak JoeBlow track pump for about five years also, and it has pumped up an awful lot of tyres effortlessly in that time. I replaced the innards with their head rebuild kit this week, and at £1.70 something, I’m not complaining.
Beauty will save the world.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

+1 form the joeBlow. The longevity of mine has made it worth every penny.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
HaroldBriercliffe

Post by HaroldBriercliffe »

niggle wrote:
MikeF wrote:Yes, agreed, they are also good for topping up car tyres etc :) IIRC old cars were supplied with track pumps rather than foot pumps. :wink:

My dad bought a Moskvitch new in the early 1970s which came with a 'track' style pump with a screw on connector. The car was sold a couple of years later and no doubt scrapped before the decade was out, but the pump lives on in his garage giving dependable service to this day.

I had a series of Ladas up to the last Riva( cheapskate masochist), each model came with a massive toolkit as standard including a bombproof 'stirrup' track pump plus a separate pressure gauge.
" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen)
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

track pump V Zefal hpx.....hmm. I have both, and use both. Cheap and cheerful Decathlon one. If I'm on a ride and I get a flat, yes I use the HPX, but more often than not , a tyre deflates over night, due to a....visitation, and then its so much easier to swap tube and pump up with the track pump, espescially as mine has a gauge with a moveable bright orange marker, that I can set to 90psi, so when I have forgotten my glasses, I can pump up easily to the right pressure, without squinting. :D
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

What do we think of the SKS Rennkompressor? Looks like the Rolls-Royce of pumps. Claimed to go up to 230 PSI. I’ve seen these around for as long as I can remember but never quite got around to buying one. Pricey.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

OnYourRight wrote:What do we think of the SKS Rennkompressor? Looks like the Rolls-Royce of pumps. Claimed to go up to 230 PSI. I’ve seen these around for as long as I can remember but never quite got around to buying one. Pricey.

A bit overpriced at 50 odd quid when you can get one of these for 70 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COBRA-AIR-TOO ... 4ad52ca1c7
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
timdownieuk

Post by timdownieuk »

OnYourRight wrote:What do we think of the SKS Rennkompressor? Looks like the Rolls-Royce of pumps. Claimed to go up to 230 PSI. I’ve seen these around for as long as I can remember but never quite got around to buying one. Pricey.

Who uses 230 psi? Surely a gauge calibrated up to that level is going to be less clear than one calibrated up to 120 say.

I note that the Manchester velodrome stipulates 119 psi (which seems a very odd number unless regulation forbid pressures over 120).

http://www2.nationalcyclingcentre.com/documents/Track%20bike%20specification.pdf
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Renn compressor, yes but surely you mean only up to 230psi, my SKS base camp goes up to 260psi (well, the dial does at least). Good for air suspension forks I suspect. Agree about less clear dial down in the lowely sub 100psi world I live in.
FYI. SKS hose heads not always the best (washer wise), I speak as when used for commercial use. Twin hole heads end up as unreliable as all the others (the switching ball inside the head gets stiff/sticky, so doesn't switch from 1 hole to the other I think). At work, given up and use 1 pump for presta, and 1 for shreader.
At home, the twin hole head on my airbase works fine.