Has anyone tried fitting a Minoura Space Grip to a Brompton?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Derbian

Has anyone tried fitting a Minoura Space Grip to a Brompton?

Post by Derbian »

Hi guys, I am looking at ways of fitting front lights to my Brompton, an was wondering if anyone has tried fitting a Minoura Space Grip to a Brompton?

Thanks for looking.
using hovercraft full of eels.
RickH

Re: Has anyone tried fitting a Minoura Space Grip to a Bromp

Post by RickH »

Derbian wrote:Hi guys, I am looking at ways of fitting front lights to my Brompton, an was wondering if anyone has tried fitting a Minoura Space Grip to a Brompton?

No but I have a Swing Grip (old style with the band clamp - although that bit has been removed) currently on the block (2 M5 holes 3cm apart - I think that is the same as a Brompton?) on the front of my Circe tandem. I'm not sure whether you can do this with the new ones or the new space Grips which have a new (probably better) clamp design but the old designs seem to be still available from Spa - Space Grip/Swing Grip.

IMGP0326 (Small).JPG

I've used it because I had one knocking around. And, in case anyone is wondering, it has ended up like that - with the lamp underneath - so the lamp is below the bar bag but the whole caboodle doesn't stick out forwards enough to cause problems with gear & brake cables snagging on the bracket when the bars are turned.

A possible alternative might be something this. Probably cheaper too.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Have you considered the Brompton extension mount instead? Mounts on the vertical bit of the M bars.

Derbian

Post by Derbian »

Good suggestions. But I have just realised that I didn't mention that I have type P handlebars.
using hovercraft full of eels.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

the Brompton Extension mount will mount on the vertical part of the P bars too. Its only the S bars it won't work with..
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

Thanks for pointing out the Brompton extension bars from SJS. I got one of these with a pretty useless Brompton battery light years ago and have used it with Cateye lights ever since it's great on the traditional Brompton handlebar. I enquired from Dorchester cycles whether they were available separately and they said no. I'll now get one for the right hand side as I always like to have two lights when commuting.