Frame size vs wheelbase

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Dunnroamin

Re: Frame size vs wheelbase

Post by Dunnroamin »

sreten wrote:
Dunnroamin wrote:I'm an elderly man, and I have an inside leg measurement of about 27", for which the frame size charts indicate the need for a frame size of around 17". My knees don't bend as well as they used either, so I have been looking at "step-through" (women's) bikes. It seems, however, that as the frame size decreases, so does the wheelbase (the distance, as I understand it, between the front wheel axle and the rear wheel axle). Unfortunately, the wheelbase, or frame length are measurements not usually shown in bike specifications. I think I may have mentioned this problem before in this forum, but with no satisfactory conclusion. Basically, what I am looking for is a bike that has the wheelbase of 21" frame, coupled with a frame height of 17" (so I can reach the ground). This would, hopefully, enable me to raise the seat and, together with maximum setback, get the necessary leg stretch. I don't know if there are any 17" bikes for men on the market, but if there are, would they be likely to have a longer wheelbase than a 17" ladies frame. Finally, does anyone know whether there are makes and models that answer my requirements, I would be so grateful for any suggestions. D :?

Hi,

What your saying doesn't make a lot of sense.

What is it that doesn't make a lot of sense? :?

rgds, sreten.
Dunnroamin

Post by Dunnroamin »

sreten wrote:
Dunnroamin wrote:I'm an elderly man, and I have an inside leg measurement of about 27", for which the frame size charts indicate the need for a frame size of around 17". My knees don't bend as well as they used either, so I have been looking at "step-through" (women's) bikes. It seems, however, that as the frame size decreases, so does the wheelbase (the distance, as I understand it, between the front wheel axle and the rear wheel axle). Unfortunately, the wheelbase, or frame length are measurements not usually shown in bike specifications. I think I may have mentioned this problem before in this forum, but with no satisfactory conclusion. Basically, what I am looking for is a bike that has the wheelbase of 21" frame, coupled with a frame height of 17" (so I can reach the ground). This would, hopefully, enable me to raise the seat and, together with maximum setback, get the necessary leg stretch. I don't know if there are any 17" bikes for men on the market, but if there are, would they be likely to have a longer wheelbase than a 17" ladies frame. Finally, does anyone know whether there are makes and models that answer my requirements, I would be so grateful for any suggestions. D :?

Hi,

What your saying doesn't make a lot of sense.

What is it that doesn't make a lot of sense? :?

rgds, sreten.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Valbrona wrote:Bikes with 26" wheels, as opposed to the more regular 700c wheel size, are perhaps a better choice for smaller riders. They can result in a better proportioned frame with more wheel clearance.

I do wonder about 700c (622mm) wheels now and whether they are just common because they're fashionable, as another author suggested above, and most people accept them unquestioningly because they're common.

I'm enjoying a road bike with imperial 26x1⅜ (590mm) wheels much more than I ever did my 27x1¼ (630mm) and that's a 23" frame because I'm not exactly short. The slight reduction in toe overlap is especially fun, making it much easier to swing the bike around when useful. So why is 700c almost everywhere now?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
GuyBoden

Post by GuyBoden »

I've been comparing some Spa Cycles frame size and wheelbase.

(In descending order.)

Sabbath Silk Route, Wheelbase 1045 for 54
Spa Elan, Wheelbase 1047 for 54
Spa Tourer, Wheelbase 1071 for 54
Spa D'Tour 54 for 1086
Spa Wayfarer (Long), Wheelbase 1088 for 54
Spa Roughstuff, Wheelbase 1093 for *53*

Edit: added D'Tour
Last edited by GuyBoden on 26 May 2021, 1:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

GuyBoden wrote: 24 May 2021, 4:59pm I've been comparing some Spa Cycles frame size and wheelbase.

(In descending order.)

Sabbath Silk Route, Wheelbase 1045 for 54
Spa Elan, Wheelbase 1047 for 54
Spa Tourer, Wheelbase 1071 for 54
Spa Wayfarer (Long), Wheelbase 1088 for 54
Spa Roughstuff, Wheelbase 1093 for *53*
You can add to that D'Tour 54 @ 1086

Road bikes have short wheelbase for quick steering and "responsiveness" allegedly. (and also to allow a fashionable long stem)
Touring bikes have long chainstays for pannier/heel clearance, and clearance at the front for mudguards, sensible tyres and your feet.
When you are slithering down some steep and dodgy track with everything you need for a couple of weeks on board, its very comforting to have the front wheel "out in front" rather than underneath you like it is on a road bike.

I don't really think about "wheelbase" as such, but I do think about its component parts, front centre and chainstay.
I'm still not sure what you are looking for?
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

This is probably a bit of a side issue, but if you want an easier mount and dismount have you considered a ‘dropper post’? In case you’re unfamiliar they’re common on mtbs for a slightly different purpose but they allow you to easily lower the saddle using a control on the bars and your own body weight. As suggested by Isla Bikes.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

TheBomber wrote: 24 May 2021, 9:24pm This is probably a bit of a side issue, but if you want an easier mount and dismount have you considered a ‘dropper post’? In case you’re unfamiliar they’re common on mtbs for a slightly different purpose but they allow you to easily lower the saddle using a control on the bars and your own body weight. As suggested by Isla Bikes.
Is this in reply to posts from 2014?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Dunroamin, the OP, has probably done roaming by now (last post 2016).
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Dutch bike or a pashley princess perhaps as they come in black and dark colours, hub gears and drum brakes so low maintenance.

Pashley are nice bikes,but not attractive to thieves, I would buy one at right price secondhand if I didn’t have the selection I currently have
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

simonhill wrote: 25 May 2021, 8:19am Dunroamin, the OP, has probably done roaming by now (last post 2016).
Ha ha. So I see :D

Strange thread resurrection. I have nothing to add on it so will duck out now.
slowster

Post by slowster »

531colin wrote: 24 May 2021, 7:05pm I don't really think about "wheelbase" as such, but I do think about its component parts, front centre and chainstay.
As a matter of curiousity is there any general consensus about the handling/feel of the long vs short Wayfarer? In other words they have have the same chainstay lengths etc., but the front centres are different by 15mm or so: do people find that difference significant/noticeable per se in how the bike feels/handles. Or is it just the case that either the long or short version will tend to fit a given person better than the other, and the choice is not influenced by any difference in handling/feel?
scottg

Post by scottg »

Long wheel base, step thru, small size is a 650b, bigger are 700c

https://www.rivbike.com/products/frame-platypus-2021
2021-05-25_9-04-18.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
531colin

Post by 531colin »

slowster wrote: 25 May 2021, 1:08pm
531colin wrote: 24 May 2021, 7:05pm I don't really think about "wheelbase" as such, but I do think about its component parts, front centre and chainstay.
As a matter of curiousity is there any general consensus about the handling/feel of the long vs short Wayfarer? In other words they have have the same chainstay lengths etc., but the front centres are different by 15mm or so: do people find that difference significant/noticeable per se in how the bike feels/handles. Or is it just the case that either the long or short version will tend to fit a given person better than the other, and the choice is not influenced by any difference in handling/feel?
If I borrow a pair of bikes, fit my own pedals, get my own saddles and the handlebars, exactly where I want them, get the same tyres on at the same pressure, and ride them back to back on roads and tracks, I still can't tell the difference.
When you have got a couple of hours in the shop with unfamiliar bikes/saddles you don't have much chance of getting down to the subtle stuff.
However, I still think a test ride is worthwhile. Long ago, I had a young woman in the shop who was visibly excited after testing a Tourer. She wouldn't tell me what was going on until she had sworn me to secrecy....it transpired that her husband had bought her a road bike, and until she rode our tester she didn't know there were "drop-bar bikes" (her term) where if she looked behind her she didn't wobble all over the road.
GuyBoden

Post by GuyBoden »

Mtb, Wheelbase and Effective Top tube lengths are longer than roadbikes and tourers, but they have wider handlebars and usually a short stem 50mm.

Example for a M size.
Trek Rail 5
Wheelbase: 1221
Effective Top Tube: 613
drossall

Post by drossall »

Wheelbase is not related to frame size in a very simple way. There is a relationship, but the need to accommodate the wheels (which are usually of the same size for all sizes of a given bike model) acts as a limiting factor, meaning that small frames still need a certain wheelbase. Also, frame design and purpose has an effect - a touring bike will generally have a longer wheelbase than a racing model, even if built for the same rider.

That's why people here are emphasising top-tube length as a better measure of what bike would suit you.