campag ergo levers for a triple chainset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
K1566

campag ergo levers for a triple chainset

Post by K1566 »

Advice please.
I've been running Campag Centaur on a compact chainset.
I'm considering building a new bike and putting a triple chainseton it and utilising most of the componets I already have.
I already have a long reach rear mech.
I know I will need to change the bottom bracket, but will I be able to use the Ergo lever for a triple that currently operates the compact chainset.?
I cant see why not unless I'm missing something?
seph

Re: campag ergo levers for a triple chainset

Post by seph »

Yes, my veloce double shifters, old and new, have enough clicks in the left lever for a triple. Newer shimano front mechs have a spring that is stronger than campag shifters like, mine kept slipping back from the big ring, so you will need an expensive campag triple mech, or maybe an older shimano mech?
stuartg

Post by stuartg »

Shouldn't be a problem. I use a set of veloce ergos on a triple and double and they are fine. The campy front isn't indexed so you can adjust accordingly.

Not sure if you will need to change the front mech?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there are several (at least four by my count) different flavours of Veloce front shifting in the LH ergo, (and that is just 10s). You need to be absolutely clear about which one you have else this conversation is lacking in real meaning.
There are similarly several different flavours of Centaur too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

I've done this:removed a double, fitted a triple using the stock Campsg 9 sp ergo's. I had to fit a new BB and bend the double front mech to get it to work, but bought a cheap triple front mech and it runs perfectly. I am no mechanic either! Easy peasy.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I have used both triple and double Campag Centaur compact chainsets with my Centaur levers without any problems, both work perfectly.
Beauty will save the world.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

How old are your Ergos? Some of the latest doubles may not work on all triple set ups but will on most. I've used them on 2 bikes without problems. One bike with a Shimano XT front dérailleur and the other with a Veloce double which shifts extremely well on a centaur 50 40 30 chain set.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Until my woes , in another thread, I ran a triple at times with a normal left hand shifter. Until recently, in my experience, they all worked with a triple if needed although some were nicer as they had more indexing if you needed it.
If yours has plenty of clicks then it should work. I use any old mech. It currently has a Comp triple that was second hand but worked happly with a Centuar double and an ancient Record. I used a elderly Suntour MTB one last year with a Shimano triple MTB chainset.

As said above there are all sorts of little hazards to catch your. Why not try it with 2nd hand parts?
RickH

Post by RickH »

AFAIK up to 2010 (that's the age of mine) they didn't do different double/triple shifters. Now they do separate double & triple LH versions. Who know? when the changeover happened? The 2013 catalogue (which I have a PDF version of) lists a separate triple shifter for Athena, Centaur & Veloce. I've not got info for 2011 & 2012.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

So, is the OP saying they currently have a double crankset fitted and a triple Centaur FD? Older Centaur Ergolevers will be both double and triple compatible - it is only the newer triple stuff, I think, that has specific double and triple Ergolevers.
I should coco.
K1566

Post by K1566 »

Thanks for all the replies my ergo levers are circa 2003
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

-in which case you should have many many clicks in the left lever, and it should work with a triple just fine.

Later ergos have 'QS/escape', powershift and ultrashift etc. All reduce you choice of front mechs etc in return for (allegedly) faster front shifting.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
stuartg

Post by stuartg »

Mine are an older 9 speed veloce, c 2003 as well. Loads of clicks to work a triple.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Our DaVinci tandem is outfitted with Compag Chorus shifters and a quadruple chain set. It works a treat (especially with my faithful stoker to let me know if I need to trim up or down a little :wink: ).
fossala

Post by fossala »

Brucey wrote:Later ergos have 'QS/escape', powershift and ultrashift etc. All reduce you choice of front mechs etc in return for (allegedly) faster front shifting.

So fast in fact that they thought it would be an unfair advantage to let race-level users have it :lol: