Tubus Tara hook positions

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gloomyandy

Re: Tubus Tara hook positions

Post by gloomyandy »

I'm sure the lip is fine and will prevent the panniers from moving. However I did find that even with the correct sized clip in the hook my sport packers rattled around a little. So rather than use the clips in the pannier mounting hooks with my Duo rack I got hold of some slightly soft plastic tubing that is 16mm outside diameter and put that around my rack rail I also added some old inner tube around the bottom hook. This provides a very solid and rattle free mounting system. The hooks kind of sink into the tube and grip it very tightly. See the following thread for pictures:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=105021&p=1027211&hilit=pannier#p1027211
My sport packers had the older mounting system and the bottom hook did not fit the duo very well so I also ended up getting the alternate lower clip for my panniers which works much better with the wider tube of the duo.:
https://www.ortlieb.com/en/e110/
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

robing wrote:Not too bothered about scratches - just want to make sure it's secure and not going to slide about, but sounds like tape might stop that too.
I thought given that Ortlieb and Tubus are both flagship brands and German they would be more compatible!

Unfortunately there's the commercial need to work with other less well designed racks/bags so there is bound to be some compromise. The fact that you can move the Ortlieb fittings should be looked on as a plus rather than a negative - they'll fit onto pretty much any old crap on the market!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
robing

Post by robing »

Thanks for all the tips - GloomyAndy, I did something similar in the end. I managed to get the correct Ortlieb inserts from Evans - needed the 11mm and they fitted the Tara rack much better, but I also just wrapped some electrical tape around the contact points and now it doesn't slip or rattle :D
I kept the pannier hooks in front of the fork - it felt safer!

Unfortunately I didn;t have much luck with my Altura panniers. I bought the new version of the Dryline - a pair of 16l just like the old ones, but the new ones are definitely smaller! Also, the straps don't have much slack, so you can't fill your panniers too much or you won't be able to close them. So will return them and go back to the old ones with new rubble bag liners!