Tubus Tara hook positions

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
edocaster

Tubus Tara hook positions

Post by edocaster »

I have a Tubus Tara front lowrider rack, and Vaude Aqua front panniers. Thus far I've positioned the top hooks so they are both *forward* of the bike's fork. I did this so the panniers wouldn't slide backwards (the fork prevents that - and they don't slide forwards too, thanks to the lower anti-sway hooks). It looks pretty good and stability is fine. The only issue with the current setup is the two upper hooks aren't a huge distance apart, so I don't get the full advantages of triangulation.

Do folks put both hooks forward of the fork, or one forward and one behind? I could try the later, but the Tara only has a slight 'lip' at the end of the rail to act as a stop - I would be a bit worried about the pannier hook pulling through that if stressed.
rualexander

Re: Tubus Tara hook positions

Post by rualexander »

One hook behind the fork is the way I have mine, quite confident that the stop on the end of the rack rail will prevent the pannier sliding backwards off the rail.
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

rualexander wrote:One hook behind the fork is the way I have mine, quite confident that the stop on the end of the rack rail will prevent the pannier sliding backwards off the rail.

Brilliant, thanks. Which panniers are you using?
honesty

Post by honesty »

One hook behind the fork with mine as well. Little stop in the end stops it going backwards. Pannier has fixed hooks though so I don't really have a choice!
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

edocaster wrote:
rualexander wrote:One hook behind the fork is the way I have mine, quite confident that the stop on the end of the rack rail will prevent the pannier sliding backwards off the rail.

Brilliant, thanks. Which panniers are you using?

Altura Orkney panniers, with Klickfix mounting hook system.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I've run both in front on the last tour and found no difference to previously fore and aft set up i've used for ten years. :?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

Thanks all. Maybe it's not that important, given that none of the other lowrider racks (Thorn, Salsa, Blackburn, etc) even allow a hook to be behind the fork. What's the goal here? To get the weight *on* the steering axis? Are are there benefits in stability in having it *behind* the steering axis?
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

My tara rack and Vaude panniers are set up exactly like yours with both hooks in front with no issue.
robing

Post by robing »

I found this thread which is relevant to me. SInce my bike was damaged in a crash, the bike shop upgraded my front rack to a Tubus Tara, which looks a solid piece of kit. However, I am having some problems fitting my Ortlieb Front City Rollers to it. I was using the 8mm QL1 inserts previously, but need the 11mm one for Tara. (I would have had these when I bought the Ortliebs but typically can't find them so have ordered some). Normally I place the hooks in front of the fork so they can't slip off and in to your wheel. But on the Tubus it looks like you can place the rear hook behind the fork - it has a slight lip to act as a stop. But I'd be a bit worried about how secure that was.

Also - the lower hook I can't seem to fit very well to the Tubus unless I have it pointing up. I just wondered if anyone has experience of this front rack system.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

robing wrote:I found this thread which is relevant to me. SInce my bike was damaged in a crash, the bike shop upgraded my front rack to a Tubus Tara, which looks a solid piece of kit. However, I am having some problems fitting my Ortlieb Front City Rollers to it. I was using the 8mm QL1 inserts previously, but need the 11mm one for Tara. (I would have had these when I bought the Ortliebs but typically can't find them so have ordered some). Normally I place the hooks in front of the fork so they can't slip off and in to your wheel. But on the Tubus it looks like you can place the rear hook behind the fork - it has a slight lip to act as a stop. But I'd be a bit worried about how secure that was.

Also - the lower hook I can't seem to fit very well to the Tubus unless I have it pointing up. I just wondered if anyone has experience of this front rack system.

You might need to turn the lower hook rail the other way up so the hook can slide down behind the brace.

The little lip is more than enough to stop the hooks sliding past as long as the correct inserts are used.

My rack has been through the mill, its been driven into, squashed rammed into rocks - it could do with some new paint but it's 14 years old now and not showing any signs of giving up - your 'upgrade' should see you going forward with confidence!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
robing

Post by robing »

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure it will fit better once I have the correct inserts for the hooks.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I've used mine with ortleib on the front with the right inserts and it's been scratched to crap. Down to the metal where the top hooks go, after only a weeks holiday as well. Get the protection tape tubus (I think. Could be ortleib) do for this specific reason or wrap it with electrical tape would be my suggestion.
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

shrink fit electrical insulator works very well to protect the top rail from scratching.
robing

Post by robing »

Not too bothered about scratches - just want to make sure it's secure and not going to slide about, but sounds like tape might stop that too.
I thought given that Ortlieb and Tubus are both flagship brands and German they would be more compatible!
irc

Post by irc »

I've added a cable tied tightly to each rail as an additional measure to stop the front panniers sliding backwards on the rail. Probably not needed as I've toured thousands of miles without them but I'd rather keep the panniers where I place them rather than have them move back and be stopped by the stop.