Cracked head tube

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
howdenbiker

Cracked head tube

Post by howdenbiker »

Hi all,

I've just got back into cycling and bought a new Forme Calver sport that I use for work commuting and all other rides at the moment. I need the CX as my commute involves some rough track along the Trans Pennine Way.

I'm now interested in buying a road bike, I really like the one on in the picture but as you will see there is a crack in the head tube below the handlebars, I think the head tube could be replaced but am I wasting my time?

The bike is italian in origin with a Columbus steel frame and the asking price is sub £300. I;m looking for a bit of a 'project' but is this a step too far?

I would be grateful for your comments.
Attachments
crack head tube s.jpg
Brucey

Re: Cracked head tube

Post by Brucey »

if it were mine already and it went like that I'd look to fix it. But then I have welding gear, and I'm not afraid to have a go at something like that, not for my own use.

But... I'd be keeping an eye on it all the time I used it, and I wouldn't be looking to sell it on or anything. I wouldn't buy a frame in that condition, unless it was exceptionally cheap.

'Italian' and 'Columbus tubing' covers a multitude of possibilities, from something that is worth about £50 (even in good shape) upwards.

Go to a framebuilder that uses TIG welding and ask about a repair (including paint) and factor that into the price of the bike. Even then only buy it if you really like it; there are plenty of uncracked bikes out there that you can buy, I am sure.

If you want a stopgap repair, a close-fitting steel sleeve could be fitted over that and bonded into position using epoxy resin; a kind of 'ring reinforcement' I suppose. I'd be tempted to do the same thing with the lower end of the head tube too; that normally sees more force than the upper end of the head tube.

Whenever I see something like that, I can't help but think that 'lugs were not such a bad idea after all....' :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
howdenbiker

Post by howdenbiker »

Thank you for your reply, the bike is up for £299 and is by a maker/shop called Perna. I originally asked for a photo of a suspicious looking mark/crack on the lower end of the head. I really liked the bike but best to wait and find something sound.
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

From another forum

Perna, they are a custom bike manufacturer in Casal Nuovo, Naples. They custom build bikes for you in any color you want at 1\10th the price of other custom shops. they have a racing team and everyone in the shop seems to have a uci license.

the general view of some other forums is that they are a decent enough builders, but I wouldn't touch any second hand frame that was damaged.
sreten

Post by sreten »

Hi,

The assumption I presume one would make would be that bike has been ridden hard and a lot.

What you want used is the exact opposite I would also presume, for near the same price.

rgds, sreten.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

what would happen if it failed whilst you were riding it ?

ask that question
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

You have to ask your self how it got that way? I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole & I am surprised a shop is prepared to sell it like that :lol: Atleast they were "honest" - but they must have seen you coming? Happened to me on another matter...