Brompton lower-pressure tyre

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rmurphy195

Brompton lower-pressure tyre

Post by rmurphy195 »

My fairly new brommie is fitted with Schwalbe Marathon tyres.

I use the bike mainly on trails/towpaths such as the Tissington/High Peak trails, family trails in the forest of dean etc. the surfaces of which can be a bit rough in parts.

With the tyres pumped up to 100psi the ride at the rear is uncomfortable over some of the less-than smooth surfaces, dropping the pressure a tad makes the bike much more comfortable, but it seems very hard work!

Is there a tyre I can put on this bike that will run a bit better at these lower pressures?

(PS I've considerable reduced discomfort by fitting a softer suspension block, and a well-fitted B17 saddle, it's just the rougher surfaces that set up a bit of an uncomfortable vibration)

Thanks for your advice - Richard.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
sreten

Re: Brompton lower-pressure tyre

Post by sreten »

Hi,

A bike with 16" wheels is never going to be good on the rough stuff, ever.
Still if you never use it on the road fitting fatter tyres might help.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-16-(305)-dept339_pg1/#page=1&page=1&order=PRICE ASCENDING

Run the front significantly lower pressure than the rear.

rgds, sreten.
AM7

Post by AM7 »

sreten wrote:Hi,

A bike with 16" wheels is never going to be good on the rough stuff, ever.
Still if you never use it on the road fitting fatter tyres might help.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-16-(305)-dept339_pg1/#page=1&page=1&order=PRICE ASCENDING

Run the front significantly lower pressure than the rear.

rgds, sreten.

Unfortunately none of the tyres on that page will fit a Brompton as they're ETRO 305 rather than ETRO 349.

There's not a huge selection of tyres available in the 349 size. I think the widest tyre you can get in this size is the Greenspeed Scorcher at 40mm wide. I've read some reports which say the Brompton rear triangle doesn't have enough clearance for these, while other people appear to have squeezed them in. At £30 a pop, it could be an expensive mistake...
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Wrong sort of bike for those surfaces. If it must be a folder one with large wheels that take MTB tyres would be my choice.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

Those are the maximum pressures! I use my Brompton on trails like you, and run the tyres on pressures appropriate to my weight, at about 3.25 bar (45) front and 4.25 bar (60) rear, with a bit more when fully laden. Recently I rode along the Camel Trail with the camping gear loaded with no problem, currently on Brompton tyres, although I have also used Marathons on the rear, at similar pressures.
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

the first thing I wold try is a softer suspension bung. They come in three levels of hardness: soft, hard and medium. That will make more difference to the ride of a brompton than the tyre. Tyre squidge is a bigger issue on small wheel tyres so they need to be run at higher pressure to reduce rolling resistance.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

MLJ wrote:Those are the maximum pressures! I use my Brompton on trails like you, and run the tyres on pressures appropriate to my weight, at about 3.25 bar (45) front and 4.25 bar (60) rear, with a bit more when fully laden. Recently I rode along the Camel Trail with the camping gear loaded with no problem, currently on Brompton tyres, although I have also used Marathons on the rear, at similar pressures.

Thanks MLJ, looks as if I already have the right compromise, just need to experiment a tad more with measured pressures to reach an optimum, which might vary from trail to trail.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I have Marathon tyres in my Brompton and the max pressure stated on the sidewalk is 85psi. The max for the Brompton tyres is 100 or 110 psi from memory. I have used my Brompton on trails in UK and abroad and tend to have tyres at 60 psi or above