Chainring compatability

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Paul Smith SRCC

Re: Chainring compatability

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

The issue for me personally has always been to make sure the correct chain ring was always referenced so we knew what to order. I don't mind what anything is called as long from the information given we can then work out what needs to be obtained.

TA no longer reference BCD on their website as the distance between nearest two bolt centres, something they did back in 2007. TA and Shimano now list their chain rings as 'PCD', where as Campagnolo list the same dimensions on their website as 'BCD', note many retailers list Campagnolo as PCD!

Fortunately the majority of us have access to information online, so the necessity for asking someone to measure the distance the between nearest two bolt centres is less of a necessity; we can normally work it out!

Screen shot from TA website, PCD: specialites-ta.com/plateaux/road/zephyr-chainring.html
Screen shot from TA website, PCD: specialites-ta.com/plateaux/road/zephyr-chainring.html
Attachments
Screen shot from from Campagnolo website, BCD: www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Components/chorus_crankset
Screen shot from from Campagnolo website, BCD: www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Components/chorus_crankset
Screen shot from from Shimano website, PCD: productinfo.shimano.com/#/spec/2.8/ROAD/Crankset
Screen shot from from Shimano website, PCD: productinfo.shimano.com/#/spec/2.8/ROAD/Crankset
Picture taken from TA chainring packaging
Picture taken from TA chainring packaging
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club