135mm fixed hub

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
seph

135mm fixed hub

Post by seph »

I'd like to convert a steel frame to fixed, to have a go at fixed audax riding. The frame is 135mm spaced. I may well want to use 135mm hubs in it again one day, so I dont want to cold set it. There are few 135mm fixed hubs around, but they arent that common, (or that cheap!). Could I use spacers to widen the oln of a 120mm hub, if the axle was long enough, or is there some reason why this isnt a good idea?

Any cheap workarounds (or sources of 135 fixed hubs!) gratefully received!
Brucey

Re: 135mm fixed hub

Post by Brucey »

you can respace hubs with long axles easily enough. It does make life a lot easier to convert to fixed if you have slotted dropouts in your frame, of course.

Spa sell a Zenith fixed hub which (check with them to be sure before buying) IIRC can be respaced out to 135mm if your dropouts are not too thick. Having said this if the axle in this particular hub is wrong, I'm not sure it is very easy to get another one that fits perfectly.

Just get the chainline right and don't overtension the chain when you are setting the bike up.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Theres Surly, too
recordacefromnew

Post by recordacefromnew »

Velosolo e.g. sells sprockets that bolt on the bosses of any 6 bolt disc hub/wheel, resulting in a 135mm fixed wheel. I think the rear chainline will end up being circa 53mm, which is ok for the outer ring of many mtb chainset.
Dean

Post by Dean »

I've got a Goldtec 135 mm hub which I'm going to replace shortly (my frame's 120 mm). PM if interested - Goldtec hubs are very good, in my experience.
seph

Post by seph »

Thanks for the replies, after I'd posted i did come across the disc brake mod. Will bear it in mind
Frame dropouts are indeed horizontal.

Had a rummage in the loft tonight and dug out an old fixed wheel with a normandy hub. The axle is too short though. I wonder if I could just replace it with a longer axle?, They're cheap enough on ebay. I expect normandy axles had french threads or something, so the cones wont thread on... :?: anybody know?
It would certainly be the cheapest option.

Would love a goldtec hub, but even seconhand it is prob out of my price range.

If the normandy hub wont work, I'll give spa a call
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Normandy hubs with solid axles usually had 3/8" BSC threading (the QR ones were different). IIRC you can make a shimano axle and cones work in these hubs but in one (I can't remember which, front or rear) you need to change the ball bearings for a different size in order to get a functional bearing.

Later models of Maillard MTB hubs had slightly thicker solid axles with different threading; if you can get one of these it may be just the job, because the cones will work perfectly in other maillard/Normandy hubs, and the axle will be long enough.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dean

Post by Dean »

seph wrote:Thanks for the replies, after I'd posted i did come across the disc brake mod. Will bear it in mind
Frame dropouts are indeed horizontal.

Had a rummage in the loft tonight and dug out an old fixed wheel with a normandy hub. The axle is too short though. I wonder if I could just replace it with a longer axle?, They're cheap enough on ebay. I expect normandy axles had french threads or something, so the cones wont thread on... :?: anybody know?
It would certainly be the cheapest option.

Would love a goldtec hub, but even seconhand it is prob out of my price range.

If the normandy hub wont work, I'll give spa a call

Hey, make me an offer. You never know, and it'd save me heading to ebay. It's pewter FWIW (kind of a gunbarrel grey).

The cheapest fixed rear wheel I made was an old freewheel hub, with a longer axle through to get the correct length. Obviously I couldn't fit a lockring, but it's never proven an issue in use, and I never did get around to fixing the dishing, so it was about an inch off centre in the drame...