631 framed Dawes Sardar-is it up to it?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Dave855

631 framed Dawes Sardar-is it up to it?

Post by Dave855 »

My factory fitted rear rack just failed (snapped) on my Sardar so I've decided to replace both front and rear racks. The rear rack looks pretty straightforward-I'm intending to fit either a Tubus Logo or Thorn Expedition. The front rack is more problematic. I would like a heavy duty steel one (I don't trust the factory fitted aluminium one now). Apparently the Tubus Tara doesn't fit properly or I would go for that. The forks on the Sardar are too thick.

Do any Sardar owners have experience fitting any of the Tubus racks (particularly the Duo model) or even A Surly Nice front rack?

Thanks, David
Last edited by Dave855 on 14 Nov 2014, 6:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
CREPELLO

Re: Front rack for a Steel 631 framed Dawes Sardar

Post by CREPELLO »

I notice that you enquired about the fitting of a Tara to your Sardar 2 years ago viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61818&start=45 :wink:
Why do you think that it won't fit satisfactorily?
Dave855

Post by Dave855 »

That is indeed the thread that put me off the Tara-I don't like the idea of using a lot of spacers. Surely it will put excessive strain on the fixing screw......
horizon

Post by horizon »

My Sardar's in the Nigel Farage at the moment so I can't look at it ... but

from memory I did use spacers. I use Blackburn Lowriders, no problems whatsoever, loads of heavy usage. Yes, the Sardar forks are disc forks so you will have to take into account their width. AIUI, there is no problem with the bolt being spaced.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

It should be possible to use the upper dropout eyelet (which is actually the one designated for the rack mounting). The picture in that thread above shows the rack trying to be attached to the mudguard eyelet. The obstruction should be negated by using the upper eyelet, in theory.

If it was me, I'd buy a Tara and figure it out - it's so close to fitting. The conclusion from the OP was that filing a chamfer on the rack bracket would do it - and it would I reckon.
LowPlainsDrifter

Post by LowPlainsDrifter »

CREPELLO wrote:If it was me, I'd buy a Tara and figure it out - it's so close to fitting. The conclusion from the OP was that filing a chamfer on the rack bracket would do it - and it would I reckon.

It did and perhaps another of the same (tara lowrider) may just be tad different and not need any "tweaking." :P Unfortunately due to a myriad of matters I haven't been able to go touring on mine as plans were scuppered so haven't tested it out properly.
I'm just trying to get on my feet etc.
I never did get the rear rack I was going to get but if things don't go tits up again I'm getting a Tubus Cosmo on the rear next and hopefully this year be able to do a bit of swanning around loaded up :) .
zero population growth.
no to the rat race thanks.
Dave855

Post by Dave855 »

Thanks-I may try and find a local bike shop that has a few options in stock and take the bike in to have a proper look. I hadn't considered anything other than a low rider rack but the Surly Nice rack looks a reasonable option too. Anybody use this rack?

I had also thought about swapping the forks for some Long Hall Trucker forks as that would eliminate the rack mounting problem and also allow me to raise the handlebars as the steerer tube on the Sardar forks has been cut too short. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the Sardar has a 1" steerer and there doesn't seem to be any decent forks on the market in that size.
rich.hr6

Post by rich.hr6 »

Hi David,
I've got a Blackburn MTN Front rack, as seen on the SJS site, on my Sardar. Fits a treat, no spacers, bags are up high a bit, but they are out of the way, plus shelf for extras. As for short 1 inch steerer, I sent my fork off to Argos in Bristol, a few years ago now, cost £50'ish I think. Came back with more steerer tube than a Thorn bike. Helps with my bad back and you can admire the view from your nice upright position.
Rich.
Dave855

Post by Dave855 »

Thanks Rich-that's some great advice regarding the forks and something I hadn't considered.

I wonder what peoples thoughts are regarding the Sardar as a true expedition bike? I have only used it for short tours up to a couple of weeks. So far the rear rack has broken as I mentioned and also the rim cracked on my rear wheel. Having had the wheel rebuilt using a downhill mountain bike rim I now intend to do the same with the front wheel. So with new wheels/racks could this bike be relied upon on a proper round the world adventure? The 631 tubing seems of good quality according to the Reynolds website and it certainly looks sturdy.

I know of at least one person (www.davestravelpages.com) who has used this bike on a long journey (from Alaska to Argentina) but he used it in conjunction with a trailer which I assume would take considerable strain off the bike itself. He also opted to replace it with another bike in preparation for his next trip.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

631 is quite a lightweight tubeset really. I'd worry a bit about dinging the main tubes, they are often pretty thin-walled.

I think if you really want a tough expedition bike, it is worth seeing how the gauge of the sardar frame tubes compares with load-lugging frames made for the purpose. You may find that the main triangle is comparable in stiffness but that the stays and forks are built lighter or something.

If so, you might be OK on good roads with a moderate load but on rougher trails with a heavier load, maybe not.

Wheel-wise I don't think you can expect a lightweight machine built wheelset to compare with a heavy-duty one meant for touring. DH MTB rims can be strong enough for touring, but I wouldn't assume this is automatically the case; the loads and the acceptable service life are rather different between DH and touring.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

on the matter of real expedition bikes frames, would the Long Hall Trucker frame be such? or is that another cosmetic expedition bike ( incl the Dawes 1-Down I suppose ) I know from experience how thin 531 tubes are( not so differnt to 631) - a would be thief tried to steal my Dawes Horizon and gave up so smashed the frame using a super market trolly ( I assume )

damaged  frame
damaged frame
Dave855

Post by Dave855 »

I would imagine the Long Haul Trucker could be one of the most popular expedition bikes out there? It might not be top of the range but surely it's up to the job? I suppose to put my query a different way......would the Sardar be of a similar grade to the Long Haul Trucker (particularly if you replace the wheels and racks)?
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

It should be, especially if you replace the wheels. 631 steel is a grade up from the LHT cro-mo, although it's only the main tubes that are 631.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

CREPELLO wrote:It should be, especially if you replace the wheels. 631 steel is a grade up from the LHT cro-mo, although it's only the main tubes that are 631.

I dont think its the quality of steel thats the issue but how thick the tubes are, to take abuse. I was shocked when I saw my 531 frame crumpled