Thermos flask for standard cage

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bikepacker

Re: Thermos flask for standard cage

Postby bikepacker » 22 Nov 2014, 9:14am

As most who know me will testify I am a real tea belly with a normal minimum consumption of 12 mugs a day. My method and I know it will not be everyone’s cup of tea ( :lol: :lol: ) is: Heat up the flask first with boiling water, quickly pour out drop in one tea bag and refill the flask with boiling water., quickly sealing the flask. Nothing else, as I was reliably informed when a consultant to a tea blending company, the tea will not stew unless reheated and the tea bag will juice out and stop brewing after a time. This goes against some aspects of science and chemical reactions but in practice it works. Try it before you knock it and you will find when you drink the tea it tastes fresh and very hot.

I use Punjana tea bags as I find their blend one of the best in a tea bag and unfortunately in this method a tea bag has to be used as they do on most cycle tours.

My Thermos Ult6imate flask keeps the tea hot for as long as I need although I know of others who are using the same method with cheaper flasks get good results. Milk I carry in a Nalgene 200ml wide mouth bottle because of the good seal and I can get a finger in to thoroughly clean it after use.
Previous to using a flask I would brew up on the road using a Pocket Rocket stove and Trangia kettle but this took a lot more time.

Flask now prepared, waterproofs on, off to do a day ride.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 22 Nov 2014, 9:39am

Ok,at 11.30pm filled flask with hot water from the tap to warm the inside,poured out.Then filled with boiling water from the kettle.At 9am this morning the water was still hot :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 22 Nov 2014, 10:00am

I've not used my Thermos on the bike yet but:
1. If you want to keep it hot and are going to add cold milk at some point I would have thought adding it when you fill the Thermos is best. If you are going to cool the drink, best do it sooner and thus the heat loss (from slightly cooler stored drink) will be lower until you drink it.

2. I use those coffee sachets that include coffee, milk powder, etc. That way I have a drink I like and never have to add cold milk to cool a drink that has already cooled a bit. Also, when making the drink I always add boiling water to the Thermos and swill it around and discard to pre-warm the flask. Something has to bring the internals of the flask up to drink temperature so it might as well not be cooling the drink.

Ian

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 22 Nov 2014, 2:33pm

Also- if you like tea with milk, what gets the popular vote?

a) milk in the tea in the flask
b) carrying a small bottle of milk separately to add as required
c) carrying a little powdered milk to add separately?

I never put anything other than boiling water in the flask (or insulated mug if I only want one brew) and carry teabags and milk separately. I also carry a plastic mug so that I have a drinking vessel of a civilised size.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

andygriff

Postby andygriff » 26 Nov 2014, 5:37pm

Lord knows how this went from bike bits to delia smith and how to make tea. I love my cuppa so I invested in 99p plastic bottle cage, post free from China on amazon which will expand and grip bottles, flasks, insulated mugs and litre water bottles no problem. Buy loads and it's still cheaper than a tesco flask. Low cost and nil street cred but who cares if I've got my tea.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 Nov 2014, 8:47pm

Who's Delia Smith :?
I cycle therefore I am.

rjb

Postby rjb » 26 Nov 2014, 9:57pm

I tried the flask in a bottle cage with a toe strap but always felt this was not secure enough. I now use an aluminium bottle from the £1 shop with a thermal bag meant for coke type cans and carry it in my rackbag. It will keep tea hot for about 4 hrs especially if warmed through first. I also made an insulated cover for the top out of foam packaging. The bottle and its cover then fit inside the thermal bag and the drawstring then keeps it cosy. :wink:

DSCF0162.JPG
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 27 Nov 2014, 1:19pm

All this talk of flasks reminds me of a wag at school who wrote in his Physics exam:
Most of the heat from a Thermos Flask is lost through the lid - therefore remove the lid! :lol:

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 27 Nov 2014, 3:11pm

very good! It does bring me on to a more serious point though; I'm pretty sure most of the heat is lost through the stopper in many cases. In one of my flasks the stopper is a two-piece plastic construction and I think it is hollow inside. To minimise heat loss I have thought of;

a) drilling the top of the stopper and filling it with PU foam.... and/or
b) making a polystyrene (or PU foam) liner for the cup (that normally screws over the lid).

In the latter case I'd aim to remove the foam liner before filling and drinking, obviously!

Anyone tried this?

cheers

Brucey
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mjr

Postby mjr » 27 Nov 2014, 4:41pm

reohn2 wrote:Who's Delia Smith :?

Director and joint majority owner of a football club in a fine city. Not sure what that has to do with this. Although it gets pretty cold there and you might appreciate a thermos of hot drink while watching a game, the cycle parking at their stadium isn't very good: open air racks at the shops and leisure centre on the other side of Koblenz Avenue I think.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 Nov 2014, 5:03pm

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Who's Delia Smith :?

Director and joint majority owner of a football club in a fine city. Not sure what that has to do with this. Although it gets pretty cold there and you might appreciate a thermos of hot drink while watching a game, the cycle parking at their stadium isn't very good: open air racks at the shops and leisure centre on the other side of Koblenz Avenue I think.

Does she give the canary's a roasting if they loose :wink:
I cycle therefore I am.

mjr

Postby mjr » 27 Nov 2014, 7:10pm

reohn2 wrote:Does she give the canary's a roasting if they loose :wink:

Not any longer: http://www.edp24.co.uk/what-s-on/food_a ... e_1_983499 ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Bicycler

Postby Bicycler » 27 Nov 2014, 8:43pm

Vantage wrote:silly priced products [are] just as good and in some cases better than their cheaper counterparts.

I think that's my new favourite quote from this forum :D

slogfester

Postby slogfester » 3 Dec 2014, 10:17pm

Thx for all responses. I knew CTCers would get passionate about this most important topic :)

Here is what I have discovered:

- There is a gaping massive vacuum (boom boom) hole in the market for a range of different capacity, robust, light flasks that fit in to a standard (70 mm diameter) bicycle cage. Kickstarter anyone?

- as is often the case, no 2 solutions will be the same given the (wonderful) diversity of bikes, rider needs, situation and flasks

- The makers of bikebuddy and monkii cages both offer a level of product and service that is a credit to the industry

in my particular case I've opted for the bikebuddy mk3 (c/w shorter springs and minimal end stop) + 0.5 l Thermos Ultimate flask. Sits on the bike where I want it and is held tight by the alignment of the clasps and rubber gaskets on the flask

yet to be thoroughly road tested. we will see.
Image Attachments
20141201_220754.jpg

gregoryoftours

Postby gregoryoftours » 7 Dec 2014, 2:09pm

As other people have suggested I'd go for a special cage rather than a flask of exact bottle cage proportions. I dunno if anyone else has posted about these but I wouldn't be without one now after using it for years and many trips-

http://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/shop.asp

I use it to carry 2 litre bottles of water, it's easily detachable (the mk3 version which has quick release) but totally secure, and bombproof, made of stainless steel. I can't recommend it enough.

p.s, EDIT - Heh, I jumped in halfway through this thread and didn't see your last post before I posted my bikebuddy plug! I hope you like yours as much as I rate mine.