Chain Cleaner Degreaser

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Chain Cleaner Degreaser

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote:..One worry I have with those chain scrubber gizmos is that they often strip the lube out of the jockey pulleys.
That is only one of the reasons I don't want a chain scrubber gizmo.

Far better to remove the chain. It takes seconds to do, and perhaps have another chain clean and ready, a fresh chain can be on your bike is seconds too, and then you can clean the one you've just taken off at your leisure.

White spirit, Gunk, paraffin, petrol, diesel, citrus degreaser .................. etc etc etc ............. all work well ......... but the main thing is ..................

Just do it! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
I used Trichloroethane aerosol for a while on my chains. Excellent degreaser, we used it for cleaning electronic equipment.
I purloined it from work, they never missed a single can (or two). :oops:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1-Trichloroethane
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

reohn2 wrote:
Brucey wrote:..One worry I have with those chain scrubber gizmos is that they often strip the lube out of the jockey pulleys.

Really?
I haven't found that to be the case though I do lube them regularly with a squirt of TF2 and a stripdown/regrease annually.

well I guess you are relubing them then! But with only solvent in those bushes, they just don't like it, oh no!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Really?
I haven't found that to be the case though I do lube them regularly with a squirt of TF2 and a stripdown/regrease annually.

well I guess you are relubing them then! But with only solvent in those bushes, they just don't like it, oh no!

cheers

Agreed,bushes or bearings running in solvent ain't a good idea at all.
That's why I lube them,but more because they're low down and in the muck rather than full of solvent .
It just makes sense to me to lube anything that's subject to the elements,like lubing the chain or giving the pivot points and adjusters on brakes,mechs,etc,a squirt of GT85 to chase out any water that may sit and corrode stuff after a mucky/wet ride,or after a hose down/clean.
It's a two minute job that saves a rake of trouble down the line if I don't.
-----------------------------------------------------------
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Mick F wrote:PS:
I used Trichloroethane aerosol for a while on my chains. Excellent degreaser, we used it for cleaning electronic equipment.
I purloined it from work, they never missed a single can (or two). :oops:

Get the kettle on! There's already a man on his way over to cut off your buttons...

Gunk is good stuff, but I don't like the smell.
I seem to have settled on Fenwicks cleaner and oils. I take the chain off when stating a clean, get it in the kitchen sink with a good brush, scrub it clean, rinse with boiling water from a kettle, wipe over with a paper towel and hang up to "air". By the time the rest of the bike is clean the chain is just about dry enough to replace, relube and ride.
As noted above, what works is partly determined by what you have used. I did experiment a while back with an industrial aerosol chain lubricant. When the solvent dried it left a nice even film of very high performance oil on all surfaces and, I imagine, inside too. Brilliant lube - and an even better way to collect crud. Very difficult to wash off.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
LisaCycles

Post by LisaCycles »

I use Agent Apple, is quite cheap and smells nicer than white spirit..
Des49

Post by Des49 »

My degreaser is a mix of half petrol, half diesel. Application is by paint brush or occasionally in a chain scrubber. Can leave a mess so don't do it on your patio if you drip or spill it around. Sometimes I do take it off if fitted with a reuseable quick link and swill it around in a jar. I then use a sponge with washing up liquid to wash the chain until it doesn't feel gritty anymore, wipe dry, blow dry then relube.

Petrol by itself needs care, volatilty asides, it is pretty corrosive. I remember ages ago when I first was getting into cycling leaving a very dirty chain in a jar of petrol overnight, it was a corroded stiff linked mess.

Sometimes I feel tempted to go to Gunk which I have tried before, cleaner than my normal mix but needs hot water ideally for the final wash and I mostly just use cold.