Domane 2.3 frame failure

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Paulatic

Domane 2.3 frame failure

Postby Paulatic » 29 Nov 2014, 4:38pm

I've just cycled 20mls home standing up on the pedals

I changed from a very happy bike owner to a very unhappy one in the instant of loud cracking sound. Got to admit I have always wondered how the aluminium seat tube can flex in the Isospeed system. Now have the answer it can't.

Will contact my dealer on Monday and discuss how to proceed with this but at the moment I have zero confidence in another aluminium frame of this type. What do others think?Image

If you say I should have bought steel I'll let your tyres down!
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Malaconotus

Re: Domane 2.3 frame failure

Postby Malaconotus » 29 Nov 2014, 4:50pm

Is that where the bottom of the seatpost is inside the seat tube?

Valbrona

Postby Valbrona » 29 Nov 2014, 5:08pm

Bet the UK Trek dealer has seen that loads of times.
I should coco.

Paulatic

Domane 2.3 frame failure

Postby Paulatic » 29 Nov 2014, 5:19pm

Yes it does appear to be about the bottom of the seat post area. The seat post is not out above its line.

I sent picture to dealer and he says "never seen a frame break there in 20yrs"
I have to take it in ASAP and they will send it to Trek.

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 29 Nov 2014, 5:59pm

AFAIK Trek frames have a lifetime guarantee so you should be ok.

Brian73

Postby Brian73 » 29 Nov 2014, 6:14pm

markfh

Postby markfh » 29 Nov 2014, 6:42pm

A bit of googling shows that it is not a totally unheard of failure:-

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk/domane_2_3.html - see "An Unexpected Failure…." about 2/3rd of the way down the page. In the paragraph below the picture is the comment "Treks analysis of the defect was that it had occurred due to an error in the reaming of the seat tubes during the manufacturing process."

I also found this page http://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/2aajy6/new_2014_trek_domane_20_aluminum_seat_tube_cracks/ which has links to pictures of another similar looking failure.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 29 Nov 2014, 6:55pm

oh dear!

I guess if that frame design were a really good idea, you might find more other things that are made in thin-walled aluminium that are designed to be springy and flexy.

Aluminium; no fatigue limit. Paint it black so you can't see any cracks in it...hmmmm... :roll:

Having said that it doesn't look like it has done that many miles... how much use has it seen?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

willcee

Postby willcee » 29 Nov 2014, 7:01pm

A hard riding friend of mine took one of these on his police ride to work scheme, he has had issues with it in that there was a knocking noise from the coupler after some time,[coupler is adjustable, he told me after it was sorted]... a couple of summer months this year if i remember correctly, and his supplier dealt with that tout de suit, that said your contract in law is with the dealer, not Trek..
Trek they will offer a new frame ime and by the sound of it that's not what you'd be happy with, so depending on the length of time you have had this machine i would go down the route of looking for a total refund from the dealer, if there is doubt that the dealer may baulk , bring the local council Trading Standards in on the position..reject it under the sale of goods act as not fit for purpose, however, ring the Tr.Stds. for correct up to date advice before you go face to face with the dealer.. will

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 29 Nov 2014, 8:08pm

Ask if upgrading to the 4 series carbon frame is an option?

Brian73

Postby Brian73 » 29 Nov 2014, 8:13pm

Manufacturers like to know what caused the failure so offer a warranty, if they have a design defect that's likely to lead to expensive US legal action (punitive damages and the like) they need to know.

That's why most recalls are issued by the manufacturers not the retailers.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 29 Nov 2014, 8:33pm

Thanks for all the info it's a great help.
Thanks Mark for the waffle link, I hadn't found that one.

Brucey the bike is only 14mths old, I've taken one set of tyres down to the canvas and now on 2nd set so I would say no more than 4000mls. I have always been wary of aluminum and recall in my Audax days that the high milage riders bought cheap frames and threw them away after 12mths. You see so many old Cannondale frames still on the go and I was assuming Trek would be of an equal quality.

Willcee you are right I don't want a replacement frame and was thinking along the lines of trying to upgrade to a 4.0 frame as Mark suggests. But I do wonder if after this ammount of time I have a case regarding goods not fit for purpose. As I live in Scotland but bought it in England do you know if you go to the trading standards where you bought or where you live?

Paulatic

Domane 2.3 frame failure

Postby Paulatic » 29 Nov 2014, 9:25pm

Trading standards direct you to CAB site where I've gleaned the following knowledge.

You bought the goods more than six months ago

If you received the goods more than six months ago, you can ask for a replacement or a repair as long as it's reasonable for the goods to have lasted this long. But you will have to be able to show there was something wrong with the goods at the time of sale.

You can ask for a repair or replacement at any time up to six years after you bought the goods as long as it is reasonable for them to have lasted this long. If the goods go wrong after six years, you no longer have the right to ask for a repair or replacement.

Reading that do you think my best avenue will be to negotiate up to a 4.0 carbon frame?

Malaconotus

Postby Malaconotus » 29 Nov 2014, 9:43pm

While they would be within their rights to just replace the frame, a sympathetic dealer may well be willing to let you choose an upgraded frame and pay the difference. Tell them up front that's what you want and they will very likely be accommodating.

Bench

Postby Bench » 29 Nov 2014, 10:08pm

My domaine 2.3 failed today 29/11/14 in exactly the same place.... Must be the time of year I guess....I bought mine in august 2014
I've tried to upload the picture it is identical to yours ( frame colour and tare) I took mine back to the shop they said they will photo graph it send pictures to trek and should get replacement frame.... I must admit I'm put of the isospeed system now
Last edited by Bench on 30 Nov 2014, 5:16am, edited 1 time in total.