Shwalbe Lugano tyres?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
andrewjoseph

Re: Shwalbe Lugano tyres?

Postby andrewjoseph » 7 Jan 2015, 1:30pm

Try cleaning the tyres with vinegar, supposed to help. A few lb less may also help.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.

Vetus Ossa

Postby Vetus Ossa » 13 Jan 2015, 11:25am

As some sort of follow up to my experience with these tyres, I thought I would share my thoughts here.
I decided to give them another try, and went for a 25 mile or so ride. The conditions were similar to my last aborted short ride, dry, but damp in places. I didn’t have any twitchy incidents on the way, partly due to the fact that I rode very slowly and cornered even slower, but it was a very nervous ride, and one I won’t be repeating, they just don’t inspire confidence, at least, not in me.
Now here’s the funny part (but true,) as I approached some traffic lights after about 5 miles, a young lady on what looked like a new Cannondale, with her boyfriend walked past. I noticed that she had identical tyres on her bike, so asked her what she though on them…to which she answered, they’re slippery. I don’t know if that was the reason she was walking, and wish now I had ask.
Anyway, I will not be using them again, and expect they will see out their life hung in the garage.

Richard A Thackeray

Postby Richard A Thackeray » 16 Jan 2015, 10:53am

Had a pair of '20' Luganos on my work bike ('94 Dyna-Tech 755Ti) for a few years, they wore well, reasonably resistant to punctures, cornered adequately (then again, after 18 years, I was very used to the bikes handling) - enough so, to let me scrape the pedals through corners!

For the price, they were brilliant

Now, I have Vittoria Rubino on the (replacement) Ribble (one of the blue aluminium framed) 'winter'/'commuter' bikes
Yorkshire Born & Bred. And, Proud Of It

Generally to be found plodding along; with www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk

The 'Wheels go round & round' with; http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/

Vetus Ossa

Postby Vetus Ossa » 16 Jan 2015, 7:48pm

Richard A Thackeray wrote:I was very used to the bikes handling) - enough so, to let me scrape the pedals through corners!

For the price, they were brilliant

Now, I have Vittoria Rubino on the (replacement) Ribble (one of the blue aluminium framed) 'winter'/'commuter' bikes

To be honest, I’m wondering why you would want to do that?
BTW, I have fitted Vittoria Rubino’s on my rims tonight, I have yet to ride them, but they do seem more rubbery than the Schwalby tyres, don’t you think? I am expecting to be much happier with them.

Richard A Thackeray

Postby Richard A Thackeray » 17 Jan 2015, 3:45pm

Vetus Ossa wrote:
Richard A Thackeray wrote:I was very used to the bikes handling) - enough so, to let me scrape the pedals through corners!

To be honest, I’m wondering why you would want to do that?
BTW, I have fitted Vittoria Rubino’s on my rims tonight, I have yet to ride them, but they do seem more rubbery than the Schwalby tyres, don’t you think? I am expecting to be much happier with them.

I'll guess that you are referring to the 'scraping the pedals'

It wasn't a regular occurance, but it happened a few times when pedalling whilst negotiating roundabouts, & having to alter lines, due to traffic close-by

Re; the Rubinos, I have a pair of the (Planet X supplied) 'Vision Team 30' on my Ribble (bought early December, at a very good price, at their Barnsley store), & the Rubinos were a bit of a swine to fit, when I swapped them over from the previous (as supplied - but jiggered) Rodi Airline wheels
Yorkshire Born & Bred. And, Proud Of It

Generally to be found plodding along; with www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk

The 'Wheels go round & round' with; http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/

Vetus Ossa

Postby Vetus Ossa » 17 Jan 2015, 3:59pm

Yes, I found them it a bit fiddly to fit as the first bead kept popping off the rim when I tried to fit the second one but not too much of a problem. It’s one of the few tyres I have fitted recently that I have been able to fit with just my thumbs, though they ache a bit today.

ossie

Postby ossie » 17 Jan 2015, 9:13pm

I had Luganos on both road bikes from new, 1000 miles was probably the max I did on them but replaced with Vittoria Rubino pros...a nice improvement

sreten

Postby sreten » 21 Jan 2015, 1:05am

Hi,

Proper tyre pressure for 23/25mm tyres are about your weight in Kg
in psi, with a bit more rear and a bit less less front moreorless.
e.g. if 70Kg, 75 to 85 psi rear and 65 to 75 psi front.
Obviously higher for 23mm than 25mm.

rgds, sreten.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 21 Jan 2015, 6:27am

^ recipe for pinch flats?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~