Ceramic chainrings

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mountainman531

Ceramic chainrings

Post by mountainman531 »

I have noticed that Stronglight do some ceramic chainrings, has anyone tried these? Are there any problems with them and are the worth the difference in price? I presume that there is no problem mixing them with, say, Zicral chainrings on a triple chainset and that they fit a standard alloy spider.
Valbrona

Re: Ceramic chainrings

Post by Valbrona »

Can't think why there would be a problem with them. The ceramic is only a coating - a bit like a frying pan - and after having used these I have never noticed any improvement in shifting over the regular Stronglight 7075 Zircal chainrings in black which I also use.
I should coco.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Valbrona wrote:Can't think why there would be a problem with them. The ceramic is only a coating - a bit like a frying pan - and after having used these I have never noticed any improvement in shifting over the regular Stronglight 7075 Zircal chainrings in black which I also use.

I would have thought that like ceramic coated rims, they would be very prone to cracking and pitting of the coating at the contact points but more so.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I've not used these chainrings so I can't comment on these particularly.

However any thin coating will spall off if the contact stresses are high enough to deform the underlying material. I would say that this is exactly what happens with most aluminium chainrings, if not at first then after a little use.

If you use big chainrings and don't push that hard on the pedals (both of which lower the chain tension) then maybe there is a gain to be had. But if you do otherwise, and/or there are any signs of plastic deformation of teeth on your old chainrings, then I'd suggest that a hard ceramic coating won't be guaranteed to do that much good.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mountainman531

Post by mountainman531 »

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I will stick with Zicral, sometimes you just have to pedal hard!