Power Output of a Cyclist

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Power Output of a Cyclist

Post by Mick F »

Just been reading that a pro cyclist around a velodrome can put out about 700watts, whereas a decent "normal" cyclist can only manage about 300watts.

I'm sure they know this because of measurement and using rolling roads and dynamometers etc.

How can a mere mortal without any measuring equipment calculate the power he/she develops?

Surely Bike+Person (A), cycling a distance (B), in time (T) will require power (W).

Is there a formula?
Mick F. Cornwall
byegad

Re: Power Output of a Cyclist

Post by byegad »

Mick F wrote:Just been reading that a pro cyclist around a velodrome can put out about 700watts, whereas a decent "normal" cyclist can only manage about 300watts.

Ahh now I know why I'm slow up hill. 300watts! I might manage this for 100yds no more.
hubgearfreak

Re: Power Output of a Cyclist

Post by hubgearfreak »

Mick F wrote:Surely Bike+Person (A), cycling a distance (B), in time (T) will require power (W).

Is there a formula?

yes...but i don't know it i'm afraid :lol:

there would be such a huge amount of variables, such as
tyre width, pressure, quality
bearing smoothness
wind speed
road surface
air density, depending upon altitude and weather conditions

giving the amount of inaccuracies in the formula, you'd be better off taking the 300W as true.

however, i have seen at interactive educational places a cycle linked to a generator, and i could easily power a 100w lamp, but a KW heater defeated me :oops:

perhaps there's a science museum type school trip place near you??
the ones i've tried were at university (UWE bristol, 1994) and a alternative technology centre in hebden bridge 2007
sloe

Post by sloe »

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brilliant!!!

It works!
And I come in at about 300watts as expected .....

Thank you!!
Mick F. Cornwall
sloe

Post by sloe »

Excellent, glad to help!
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

They have power cranks fitted to measure power output.
nigel_s

Post by nigel_s »

Google for a little piece of software called "Cyclistats" and see if this suits you. I and my family use it to record our cycling. It has built-in power calculations. Adds to the interest and sibling rivalry. Unusual family banter on the lines of "I've gone further than you this year..."

Mind you, the program shows the average watts on my last ride was... 91.

Fit? Moi?
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

What speed does that relate to Mike F and how long can you keep it up for. ( pardon the pun) :wink:
I've not looked at the website as for some reason my computer won't let it load yet so I don't know how it works.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Basically, it's how I said. Bike and Person, along a road on a particular bike at a certain speed requires an amount of effort plus or minus wind and wind resistance and plus or minus gravity.

I hope you can load the website, coz the answer is there.
Mick F. Cornwall
Stonehead

Post by Stonehead »

Last edited by Stonehead on 14 Dec 2007, 10:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

There are lot of variables that you input there. How do I get the right data for the 40 mile ride I did yesterday, with sidewinds, headwinds,tailwinds hills and such. I don't know the temp but it was bl**** cold.
I get a 64 watt difference in power output just by changing the slope by 1%.
pigman

Post by pigman »

now I'm confused. surely the cyclist's output is the same irrespective of the bike and weather conditions. With the latter, there is some effect (eg cyclist might have trouble inhaling/processing cold air v warm air or humid conditions might provide for better oxygen uptake), but tailwind/headwind/climb/descent or roadbike/mtb, the cyclists power output is the same, ie the cyclist is the engine.
As a basic example consider a 100bhp ford motor engine. Put it into a fiesta, focus, mondeo and its still 100bhp. The fiesta might be quicker because of weight and aerodynamics, but the 100bhp remains static.
Am I right, or am I confusing the 300/700 watts cyclists' output with another, less pure measurment?
Stonehead

Post by Stonehead »

Last edited by Stonehead on 14 Dec 2007, 10:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've yet to study in depth my "favorite ride". Lots of hills and even some levelish bits.

My 300watts was just a quick guess on our local hill. I'll have to check time and distance and speed sometime. Our hill is long and steep in places, and I think I go up there at a steady 6mph, but as I say, I'll have to check.

By playing around with the parameters, a wide variation is apparent! I can be superhuman at 650watts or puny at 250!
Mick F. Cornwall