DIY rollers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
aljohn

DIY rollers

Postby aljohn » 11 Jan 2015, 4:57pm

I've been looking at ~Youtube diy rollers. I'm not interested in how to build, just how to get cheap, quiet rollers to fit. I built a set years ago, using some steel rollers off a scrapped conveyor system and frame built of electrical conduit. It worked fine - unfortunately we didn't have a garage where we lived and I intended to use the rollers in the lounge - or kitchen if forced. The first time I used them my wife, in another room, freaked out 'cos she thought a Boeing 747 was trying to land in our lounge....
Sadly, the rollers never lived much longer. The best (cheapest) idea I could come up with was to use a plastic (drain) pipe with bearings stuck in the ends. I don't know how feasible this would be, whether the pipe would be strong enough or not. But the main problem is to find cheap nylon bearings, then think about the rest of the roller. I did buy a turbo trainer, before anyone suggests it - what a mind blowingly boring way to spend the odd hour! It was sold shortly after. At least rollers concentrate the mind, you don't want to fall off, or worse find yourself travelling at warp speed towards the garage door as you ride off the front.
If anyone has any experience, or thoughts, of diy rollers please let me know.
I know I'm a tight old git (TOG), but back in the day I was an IE (impecunious enthusiast)
I saw one diy kit using 3 rolling pins, I don't think I want to go there....

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: DIY rollers

Postby Mick F » 11 Jan 2015, 6:04pm

Can't help in the DIY roller department, but my Elite rollers are brilliant. :D
http://www.ctcshop.org.uk/elite-ghibli- ... c-rollers/
Mick F. Cornwall

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 11 Jan 2015, 6:28pm

NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 11 Jan 2015, 6:44pm

I think if you scour e-bay you will find something and that it might be a load better than what you could make easily. If you do build something I would suggest that you avoid using rollers that are too small in diameter; this may seem appealing but it is a sure-fire way of knackering your tyres in short order. Rollers of 4" diameter are good, but 6" is better.

I've thought long and hard about building my own rollers, mainly because the set I use most look like they are about to fall apart, and I've not seen a set in the flesh that I like the look of for a long while.

Some suggestions;

1) How about cutting up some old steel bicycle hubs, and welding those to 'new flanges' (cut from sheet steel, ground true/to size once welded in position) and thence welded to lengths of steel tube to make rollers? If you can't find large steel tube then you can extend the hub centre barrels using smaller diameter tube, then use plastic tube over the top, perhaps supported by additional steel flanges, or something.

or;

2) If you can snaffle three old cylinder-type lawn mowers, they may yield nice large rollers that can be made to work with some welding and maybe some plumber's block bearings etc.

The latter route has the benefit that you can easily engineer a front roller drive (external to the frame) using the mower sprockets. That said, you can do that (inside the frame) using bicycle hubs too; if you use rear hubs they can be geared together using some fixed gear sprockets and bicycle chain.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

aljohn

Postby aljohn » 11 Jan 2015, 7:56pm

I have to admit I was thinking of something really simple :? Just 3 rollers and a rubber band. I had meant to ask which was best, small or large rollers but you've answered that for me. ~The one I made only had rollers 3 or 4 inches diameter. As I said they worked fine - except for the noise. In fact one guy on youtube had made something similar and that was very noisy too.
I'll continue my search for cheap nylon rollers.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 11 Jan 2015, 9:16pm

Hi,
Not sure exactely when (year 96-2000 but I invested almost two hundred notes in a turbo trainer with built in magnetic resistance adjustable, also a mini computer, so you could dial in distance or time and it would give watts real time and kcals and time / distance at the finish of sesson.
Timed input up to 99 hrs 99 mins and distance up to 99 miles probably.

What it did give you were comparable figures.
So you dial in 2% gradient and say 60 minutes.
Real time is speed / watts, distance / time, selectable during ride.

Ideal for just sitting on a speed on a gradient OR power in watts, selectable on ride.
At the end readout is given in kcals on your desired distance / time.

I have found it ideal for specific training, just add your personal HR monitor and you have all you need.

You will spend a lot of time making up a reliable system, I made one about twenty five years ago with the aid of a machine shop, not rollers but a turbo trainer, lots of time and you still have to get it to give a meaningful resistance.

I realise that rollers are more realistic on riding style than a turbo trainer, resistance and readouts :?:

Anyway best money I ever spent as it still works today.

At my local recycling centre are numerous exercise machines and plenty cycling machines of the old style gym type.

But a stepper machine I got the other day had a flywheel and dial in mag resistance has pedal cranks too...................

This could be a base for a lash up.........flywheel devices are very expensive and are meant to be very realistic on actual feal.

I always like projects like this but I've had numerous training on machining welding and building process machines over the last 40 years and without the specific skills even with a very keen interest in such you have your work cut out.

Like to see how you get on with a project........plenty of idea's posted here to help.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

aljohn

Postby aljohn » 12 Jan 2015, 2:09pm

I have seen plenty of plastic rollers for around £8 or so, but they're all 50 or 60mm diameter. I think that a much larger diameter is going to be a tad more expensive. I do prefer a 6" diameter roller but, out of curiosity, why would tyres wear out more quickly on the 2" diameter rollers? I can see that a smaller roller would wear out more quickly than a larger roller. Having said all that I doubt if I'll be spending hours riding the rollers.....

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 12 Jan 2015, 2:33pm

the small rollers simply deform the tyre much more than the larger ones, and this is a lot like riding the tyre overloaded or underinflated (i.e. 'bad' if you do it very much). You generally run a lower gear on smaller rollers, because there is more work going into the tyre.

For a given roller size, the effect is worse on rollers (even though there are two under the rear wheel) than with a turbo trainer, because the bike's full weight is on the rollers where it isn't with a turbo trainer. Even so, if you do a lot of miles on a turbo, you are well advised to buy tyres meant for that purpose.

Having ruined a few good tyres, I generally use old tyres on the rollers now; I don't expect them to last, and they don't....

BTW at the track, some riders warm up on rollers which have a small diameter. I think the small rollers are chosen deliberately here because they provide a good resistance for a warm-up even on 'race gearing/race tyres'. I would suggest that this warm-up would always be better done on a spare/warm-up bike, because of the risk of damage to race tyres on small rollers. Whenever I've seen a track tyre blow out, I've wondered if it might have been weakened on the rollers first.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bikefayre

Postby Bikefayre » 12 Jan 2015, 4:08pm

Jet Black Cycle Training Rollers from inmotionproducts.co.uk
Code: JB15
The Jet Black training rollers are highly technical, offering various advantages over other trainers.
JetBlack Training Rollers are completely pre-assembled and ready to ride following adjustment for your bike! Ideal for warming up, training and improving your balance.
The rollers are perfectly suited to both road and MTB bikes and have aluminium rollers for a smooth and quiet ride.
The aluminium rollers provide no chance of distortion from heat or sunlight and the high grade sealed bearings provide completely maintenance free service.
Anti-slip feet ensure that the frame is rock-solid on the floor and the frame folds up flat for easy storage and transport.
Tips for learning to ride on rollers (courtesy of Cycling Plus)
Price: £149.99
Retail Price : £169.99
Triple Roller to Twin Roller Conversion Kit
click to see more
Code: TRCK
Easily converts our ROTO Triple rollers into Twin Rollers.
(note; Not applicable tor free overseas delivery - please ask for latest shipping prices)
Price: £35.99

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 12 Jan 2015, 4:50pm

I bought these when I was flushed with cash in 2008.

Elite have the UK licence to produce their version.
Warning: Contains cheesy music.