Deep drop calliper brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Rustydog

Deep drop calliper brakes

Post by Rustydog »

I'm going to need some deep drop caliper brakes (700c in a trad roadie frame situation). Tektro seem to produce some, look okay but are they any good in practice? Or are there any other quality makes available that are tried and tested. Centre to centre drop measurement is 65mm.

I would appreciate any advice or experience available out there. As with all previous posts all advice and info is always gratefully received and has proved to be invaluable so far, many thanks.
JVB

Re: Deep drop calliper brakes

Post by JVB »

I have the deep drop Tektros on my tourer - they work just fine, even when using the interupter levers. I did notice a (marginal) improvement when I replaced the oem pads with Koolstop dual compound. Been all over using them - long haul, fully loaded, high mountain descents. They work fine.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

If it's a traditional roadie, will you need to have a nut fitting (better if fitting guards?) or the more readily available contemporary recessed nut?
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

Rustydog wrote:I'm going to need some deep drop caliper brakes (700c in a trad roadie frame situation). Tektro seem to produce some, look okay but are they any good in practice? Or are there any other quality makes available that are tried and tested. Centre to centre drop measurement is 65mm.

I would appreciate any advice or experience available out there. As with all previous posts all advice and info is always gratefully received and has proved to be invaluable so far, many thanks.

I have a set of Tecktro long drop brakes on one bike and Shimano 650 long drops on the other and they are worlds apart. I wouldn't buy Tecktro brakes again. The Shimano 650 compare quite well with modern 105 and Ultegra brakes.
ardeidae

Post by ardeidae »

Last edited by ardeidae on 12 Jun 2020, 4:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I have Tektro deep drop double-pivot callipers and in my experience (2+ years and 10,000ish miles) and opinion they are fine - I would buy the same again - indeed I'm probably going to have to for another frame. Have a look on their web-site - they are model R559. I use them with Shimano RX 100 type levers - i.e. not STIs.

The frame was built for 27" wheels and up to 1¼" tyres.

fastpeddaler's comment about getting the correct fitting is worth taking note of.......I've had my older frames drilled out for allen key pivot bolts, but I'd get the brakeset first - my R559s were traditional nut fitting.

These brakes are not the cheapest Tektros - don't go for cheapo stuff.

The only problem was the brake-blocks...........I've find them to be effective enough but I think that they are worse for collecting shards out of Mavic rims than my usual Fibrax blocks.
willcee

Post by willcee »

plus one on Tektro 559 dual P deeps, ime if set up correctly and pads changed they are as good as one needs unless they are doing col descending..daily.. will
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

willcee wrote:plus one on Tektro 559 dual P deeps, ime if set up correctly and pads changed they are as good as one needs unless they are doing col descending..daily.. will

Plus 2 to that ⇧ I use the nutted version on a 27" to 700C converted bike. Pads are at 65mm on the front - find them more than adequate. I don't carry heavy loads on that bike though.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
honesty

Post by honesty »

did not realise you could still get brakes with a long drop like that, so thanks for pointing out the R559s! I need something to replace the Weinmanns on my dads old bike and was despairing!
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I have a Tektro 559 deep drop front brake on one of my bikes. It is fine, but not quite as good as the smaller drop brakes I have on other bikes.

It takes more effort from my hand to get the same amount of braking. Given that the brake blocks are on longer arms I suppose that's unavoidable.
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Have a look at the Dia-Compe calipers from billys.co.uk Would also recommend Aztec v-brake blocks or any v-brake blocks as the caliper blocks do not stop you!
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Bikefayre wrote:Have a look at the Dia-Compe calipers from billys.co.uk Would also recommend Aztec v-brake blocks or any v-brake blocks as the caliper blocks do not stop you!

:?: I find the standard Tektro R559 blocks stop my bike fine and dandy - mind you hardly ride that particular bike in the wet (its a special sunny only Sunday bike :D ). However as previously mentioned, they are a bit hard on rims, so it might pay to fit different/softer compounds from the alternative manufacturers.

Life is full of polar opposite experiences and expectations. Adds to the richness :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

These: http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Brakes/Road/TRP-RG957 appear to be a step up in quality from the others mentioned. Or rather they're 2 steps up in price. Well reviewed, have thought of getting some, but not yet tried.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

ChrisButch wrote:These: http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Brakes/Road/TRP-RG957 appear to be a step up in quality from the others mentioned. Or rather they're 2 steps up in price. Well reviewed, have thought of getting some, but not yet tried.

OP wanted 65mm drop capability :(
Current pedalable joys

honesty

Post by honesty »

Yep the TRP RG957 is an equivalent (or slightly better than) to the Shimano R650.