Please convince me to buy the Garmin Edge touring GPS

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Psamathe

Re: Please convince me to buy the Garmin Edge touring GPS

Post by Psamathe »

Article in this months Bicycle Traveller Magazine from somebody whose GPS went wrong and they sort of had to switch to a smartphone and ... they wont be switching back. Worth reading (it's actually reviewing a case for smartphones.

Ian
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Mick F wrote:Try not to let a Garmin do any navigating for you.
Instead, construct your own route where YOU want to go by using any of the online mapping sites.
I like BikeHikeUk.

Yes, if you do that its fine. I have one and the hardware is good. Battery life is about 10h. The mapping it comes with is ok and you can add free osm maps. It's ok for following a route but navigation can be exciting. Software is not very intuitive. Good instruction and discussion on cycle chat under garmin edge touring.
Heltor Chasca

Please convince me to buy the Garmin Edge touring GPS

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm a recent Edge Touring owner and very pleased with it having owned various GPS devices over the years. I'm near the Mendips and Bath so it definitely works in the West Country!

I went for the Halford's deal too as it's not bad. Better looking when the silicone case is on.

I'll agree that Garmin's navigation site is rubbish. I upload GPX files from Cycle Travel into 'New Files' which work a treat with the mapping software on the device. Shout if you get stuck on this process.

Enjoy...hc
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

bainbridge wrote:In April we're cycling from Bristol across to Harwich, then down from Amsterdam onto the Rhine and probably as far as Bonn, then back.

It's £160 in Halfords with the out front mount and case, money buring a hole in my pocket and I needs that nudge to justify the outlay.

Please help!
If you want an 'pilot' to get you from Bath to Devizes let me know. It'll be a pleasure...hc
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ok. Buy the Garmin Edge touring GPS and you will win the Euromillions lottery roll over jackpot and also develop the cycling strength of Eddie Merckx when he was 26......... :D
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
RonK

Post by RonK »

bainbridge wrote:
RonK wrote:Poor choice. Search the forums and you'll discover the Edge Touring is lousy at navigation.

I've read mixed reviews and from what I infer the most derogatory ones are from people who don't appear to know the ins and out of how to use it.

Most people who advise it takes a while to get to grips with are very happy with it.

Navigation is exactly why I intend to buy it, care to advise what is bad about it?

Can you recommend an alternative?

Don't pay too much attention to the reviews - most don't test them for long enough for a real world experience. Read the forums.

Just Google 'Garmin Touring poor routing'. You can read the comments for yourself and decide if they matter to you.

An alternative - Mio (Magellan) Cyclo 500 - 505. The computer Garmin rushed out the Edge Touring in response to. Make sure you get the version with EU mapping.

Google 'garmin edge touring vs mio cyclo' to continue your research.

It's worth point out that both Garmin and Mio devices have their share of bugs and idiosyncrasies, so be prepared for a certain amount of frustration whichever you choose.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Why not go for the 800 with maps? or the 810 if you want live tracking.
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

I don't want to convince you. I bought one but it kept on freezing. All the time....
So, I sent it back, got a full refund and bought a Edge 800 instead for £252, with European maps. I then ebayed the cadence bit (£30) and heart rate monitor (£32) so I now have all the bits I actually need for basically the same price as a Touring but it works perfectly ... and doesn't freeze...
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Thanks everyone for your input on this - just bought the Garmin Touring :D

Hopefully I don't get the freezing issue (obviously will return it if I do), I intend to plan routes on google maps then convert them to GPX files.

All my riding up to now has been done by planning the route in advance, then checking for main towns/villages along to way.

To be honest just knowing I'm heading in the right direction after negotiating a load of country lanes which often seemingly double back on themselves will be great!

Thanks again to everyone who posted, I appreciate your honest advice based on your own experiences.

Gareth

PS Pete75 your advice swung it for me :D

PPS HC thanks for your kind offer, we'll certainly be in touch if we're going via your neck of the woods :D
vsmith1

Post by vsmith1 »

I have a Edge Touring Plus. I have used it to do NCN Route 7 South - Carlisle to Glasgow last year. I preplanned all the routes separately and then transferred them across to the Edge. I wanted to ride and not have to keep stopping to look at maps etc. It worked well - gave me turn by turn.

I used it for some unprepared riding in France. Worked OK. Gave me some pointers and I could zoom in and out the map to see where I needed to turn.

I have only used the "give me a loop" once more as a trial. Its not a valuable addition IMHO.