Chain Length Conundrum

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
User avatar
Heltor Chasca
Posts: 3016
Joined: 30 Aug 2014, 8:18pm
Location: Near Bath & The Mendips in Somerset

Chain Length Conundrum

Postby Heltor Chasca » 31 Jan 2015, 12:21pm

Amazing isn't it? You do something in the hope of making life easier and you seem to end up making it more difficult.

I'm revamping my tool kit for longer trips and related to another thread though putting a spare chain in the kit would be a good idea. Hmm. I run a SRAM PC971 on my bike. Good chain. Good value. Loads for sale online. They have 114 links. Trouble is MY chain has 116!

I'm struggling to find a perfect match online for the 2 extra links. Surely I'm not going to have to resort to buying a whole extra chain to nick extra links off when I need it? Suppose I could make a chain whip out of some of the chain? If I ran the chain with only 114 links instead of 116 I'm sure it may not change up to the largest cog.

What dya recon wizards and witches?

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 45785
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Postby Mick F » 31 Jan 2015, 1:00pm

Can I ask why you have 116 links?
I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just asking why?

There are simple ways of finding out the optimum length of chain, or you can just input the info into this site:
(sorry about the adverts)
http://www.epicidiot.com/sports/chain_l ... ulator.htm
All you need to know is the length of your chainstay, the biggest ring size and the biggest sprocket size.
Just hit "Calculate".

The answer comes out as "double links", so just double the number to get a normal number.

Mine comes out as 112links.
Mick F. Cornwall

rjb
Posts: 3278
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Postby rjb » 31 Jan 2015, 1:19pm

See if you can " squeeze" your existing chain together to remove 2 links when on the largest sprocket and chain wheel. If you can then 114 links should be ok. :wink:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

andrewjoseph
Posts: 1420
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 10:48am
Location: near Afan

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Postby andrewjoseph » 31 Jan 2015, 1:44pm

Heltor Chasca wrote:Amazing isn't it? You do something in the hope of making life easier and you seem to end up making it more difficult.

I'm revamping my tool kit for longer trips and related to another thread though putting a spare chain in the kit would be a good idea. Hmm. I run a SRAM PC971 on my bike. Good chain. Good value. Loads for sale online. They have 114 links. Trouble is MY chain has 116!

I'm struggling to find a perfect match online for the 2 extra links. Surely I'm not going to have to resort to buying a whole extra chain to nick extra links off when I need it? Suppose I could make a chain whip out of some of the chain? If I ran the chain with only 114 links instead of 116 I'm sure it may not change up to the largest cog.

What dya recon wizards and witches?


what sort of long trips need a whole new chain? I just take a few spare power/quick links on every ride.

The main problem i can see with taking a whole new chain is that if you need it mid trip then it might start skipping on worn cassette/ chain rings.

I did twist my chain badly during my first camping trip, i limped along the first bike shop and bought a new chain.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.

User avatar
Heltor Chasca
Posts: 3016
Joined: 30 Aug 2014, 8:18pm
Location: Near Bath & The Mendips in Somerset

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Postby Heltor Chasca » 31 Jan 2015, 1:50pm

Mick F wrote:Can I ask why you have 116 links?
I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just asking why?

There are simple ways of finding out the optimum length of chain, or you can just input the info into this site:
(sorry about the adverts)
http://www.epicidiot.com/sports/chain_l ... ulator.htm
All you need to know is the length of your chainstay, the biggest ring size and the biggest sprocket size.
Just hit "Calculate".

The answer comes out as "double links", so just double the number to get a normal number.

Thanks for this Mick. I am at a loss to why there are 116. That's how it came supplied on the bike which I bought new. I'll try your calculator...hc

Mine comes out as 112links.

The fat commuter
Posts: 292
Joined: 12 May 2014, 7:54pm
Location: The hilly side of Sheffield

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Postby The fat commuter » 31 Jan 2015, 1:50pm

Did you buy the chain from a shop where they also repair bikes? If so, you could ask there as they may have to chop some chains down and I bet they just throw the spare links out.

That said, if you bought an extra chain just to get the extra two links - you could use that chain for extra links for the next 56 new chains.

User avatar
Heltor Chasca
Posts: 3016
Joined: 30 Aug 2014, 8:18pm
Location: Near Bath & The Mendips in Somerset

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Postby Heltor Chasca » 31 Jan 2015, 1:56pm

The fat commuter wrote:That said, if you bought an extra chain just to get the extra two links - you could use that chain for extra links for the next 56 new chains.


Very good. I make that a lot of mileage!

User avatar
Heltor Chasca
Posts: 3016
Joined: 30 Aug 2014, 8:18pm
Location: Near Bath & The Mendips in Somerset

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Postby Heltor Chasca » 31 Jan 2015, 2:47pm

Mick F wrote:Can I ask why you have 116 links?
I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just asking why?

There are simple ways of finding out the optimum length of chain, or you can just input the info into this site:
(sorry about the adverts)
http://www.epicidiot.com/sports/chain_l ... ulator.htm
All you need to know is the length of your chainstay, the biggest ring size and the biggest sprocket size.
Just hit "Calculate".

The answer comes out as "double links", so just double the number to get a normal number.

Mine comes out as 112links.


Hi Mick. What are the chances? I used your calculator and it came out bang on 116 links. Clever Surly but they've still left me with 2 missing links.

I think an extra spare chain to cut down and make into a homemade chain whip is looking likely...hc

rjb
Posts: 3278
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Postby rjb » 31 Jan 2015, 4:35pm

I'd be tempted make it up with 2 links from your old chain. I am about to don my Helmet before the flack arrives. :shock:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

User avatar
hondated
Posts: 2342
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 7:59am
Location: Eastbourne

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Postby hondated » 31 Jan 2015, 7:25pm

rjb wrote:I'd be tempted make it up with 2 links from your old chain. I am about to don my Helmet before the flack arrives. :shock:

+1
But if its a 9 speed and compatible with Shimano PM me and I will send you a couple of links from a new chain I have just fitted.

User avatar
Heltor Chasca
Posts: 3016
Joined: 30 Aug 2014, 8:18pm
Location: Near Bath & The Mendips in Somerset

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Postby Heltor Chasca » 31 Jan 2015, 7:41pm

hondated wrote:
rjb wrote:I'd be tempted make it up with 2 links from your old chain. I am about to don my Helmet before the flack arrives. :shock:

+1
But if its a 9 speed and compatible with Shimano PM me and I will send you a couple of links from a new chain I have just fitted.


PM sent. Thank you for a kind offer. Let me know if there is anything you are after as a swap. How do I post fresh, organic chicken eggs? :roll:

User avatar
hondated
Posts: 2342
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 7:59am
Location: Eastbourne

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Postby hondated » 31 Jan 2015, 8:38pm

HC I am not worried about receiving anything in exchange as posting costs will not be a lot.
I will post on Monday unless our forum colleagues tell us it is not compatible.

User avatar
CREPELLO
Posts: 5558
Joined: 29 Nov 2008, 12:55am

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Postby CREPELLO » 31 Jan 2015, 9:01pm

If it's a 9 speed chain you really need to be careful rejoining the chain with existing rivets, as they lose their strength from re riveting. (I discovered this whilst cycling out of London fully loaded) It might just be possible to flatten the ends enough, but the pins are very hard steel.

I think I would use another quick link with an inner link to make up the length.

There is a letter in the comic this month about such an issue and CJ said that Sram make a 120 link 10 speed chains for 29er's. I don't suppose Sram would do a 9 speed version would they. Still at £10 a pop, even two chains at £20 ain't so bad.

User avatar
iow
Posts: 395
Joined: 27 Jul 2010, 11:01am
Location: isle of wight

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Postby iow » 1 Feb 2015, 8:24am

don't wish to detract from hondated's offer, but I'm happy to put some unused 971 links in the post if you're worried about joining shimano and sram, or want matching links.
mark

User avatar
Heltor Chasca
Posts: 3016
Joined: 30 Aug 2014, 8:18pm
Location: Near Bath & The Mendips in Somerset

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Postby Heltor Chasca » 1 Feb 2015, 9:13am

iow wrote:don't wish to detract from hondated's offer, but I'm happy to put some unused 971 links in the post if you're worried about joining shimano and sram, or want matching links.


Thank you iow. PM sent. A good match makes sense I guess. hondated, does that save you the hassle of sending out your links? Many thanks all. What a bunch of nice people!