What tourer for my wife?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: What tourer for my wife?

Post by Brucey »

Eeyore wrote: My wife is in her 60s and needs a new bike after an unsuccessful flirtation with a Danish sit-up-and-beg. I would very much appreciate advice on what bikes she should consider. She is uneasy about being unable to put a foot down when stopping, so a low bottom bracket seems desirable, as does a step-through frame. Rear pannier braze-ons are needed and fronts would be helpful but not essential.....

There are 'utility bikes' with very low step through frame designs that might suit. Was there anything in particular that caused a problem with the sit-up and beg bike?

Essentially the choice for everyday utility cycling divides neatly between 'lightweight and impractical' and 'heavier but more practical'. The mythic 'lightweight and practical' bike has yet to be made at all, leave alone at a price. Fortunately it turns out that the weight of the bike is not so important; it takes a very heavy bike to slow you by more than 10% and if you ride five miles or so that adds a mere couple of minutes to your journey. More gears allows hills, shopping loads and headwinds to be dealt with, so a singlespeed bike won't suit so well as one with gears.

So anyway, some bikes worth considering would be models from Gazelle, Batavus, Koga Miyata; these would typically be lighter in weight than (say) a hoprider (which is a very good spec for the price) but far better made, usually designed to last decades. They also variously try to tread the line between weight and practicality. Unfortunately they are also somewhat more expensive, so you would be looking at a used machine rather than a new one at that price.

But in simple terms you could have a roadster with an IGH (say a Nexus 7) and a chaincase, and at the other end of the spectrum there are things that look more like a touring bike with flat bars and derailleur gears; these are 5-10lbs lighter but have more exposed transmissions.

One feature that may suit your wife is a ladies 'button saddle'. This has no saddle peak (so won't suit if someone rides out of the saddle so well) but it does allow easier riding in skirts and more importantly perhaps it allows an easier slide forward. Some riders who are a little nervous about being able to put their foot down find this a significant improvement. [BB heights do vary a bit but IME few riders are truly comfortable (or efficient) pedalling when the saddle is set at a height that allows a foot well down when in the saddle; arguably if the BB is low enough to allow this then the bike is potentially dangerous because you can't turn and pedal at the same time.]

I know of a dealer in Cambridge who regularly buys good-quality used machines in the Netherlands; he will source what you want for you, (and if it doesn't suit he'll sell it to someone else). For £200-£300 you can have a really nice used machine that would cost at least double this new.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lewisnoble

Post by lewisnoble »

I bought my wife a Ridgeback Velocity stepthrough earlier this year, from Evans - good price (£300 for bare bike, no guards or rack) and good service. It was a 15" frame, she is quite short. Nice bike, decent kit for the price, though rack not easy to fit with the mounting points very low below the saddle. I later fited an integrated seatpost clamp / rack mount collar which seems better.

She likes it. I've had good service from other Ridgeback bikes, so quite keen on them as a make.

Lewis
Eeyore

Post by Eeyore »

Thanks, Brucey and lewisnoble - v helpful.
What didn't she like about the sit-up-and-beg? Being used to a straight-bar hybrid, she feels less in control of what's going on up-front, as well as having less ability to pull on the bars when she needs to, eg on hills. I think we are now narrowing-down on to another straight-bar hybrid.
Prelim looks around local shops and tel calls to those further afield have disappointed. Our local has one £400 job in stock, which did look good, but I've been encouraged by this forum to think that we'll get something pretty good for our £300 budget.
Sadly, Rutland was unable to offer more than a single model, which wouldn't have made the journey worthwhile. Decathlon, Oxford, had one size of the B'Twin recommended here, but had sold the other and couldn't say when it would be replaced. Decathlon, Harlow, were out of stock of both sizes (and they really do need training in telephone technique! 'Er, 'lo?' is as deficient as the usual blather from the bank is excessive). Oh, and the Decathlon website was haywire.
We did tiptoe into Halfords who were able to offer one of their Apollo range (own label, I assume) and a Raleigh Locksley, which looked pretty good.
I'm beginning to suspect that what we need is a really good retailer with a vast range of bikes on show. I justy haven't found them yet!
All this has prompted the idea for a new business. Called 'Velodrome', it would occupy a huge out-of-town shed near a major motorway, would stock every bike in all the ranges and offer an indoor test-track replicating different road conditions. People would travel to that. Any Dragons out there?