Thinking of finally giving up on clipless pedals. :-(

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
landsurfer

Re: Thinking of finally giving up on clipless pedals. :-(

Post by landsurfer »

Both my hybrid and road bikes have MKS Sylvan pedals with plastic half clips to position my foot and are ideal for all aspects of cycling.
My recent crash, on ice, on the Manvers to Barnsley path would have been compounded if I had been wearing SPD or strapped pedals.
If your racing then SPD or strapped pedals are not an option.
They are essential.
But to just cycle ..... mmm
Been there, done that, moved on.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

just my ignorant 2p's worth - a bike has to be a really good fit for clipless pedals? how many of us have or can afford bikes like that.
smuggers

Post by smuggers »

Thanks for the reply's everybody.. I know pedals are a personal thing & deep down I know I have to give up with clipless & just start to enjoy my cycling again. I dont have oodles of cash & wish I'd never wasted it, in the hope I could get comfortable with clipless pedals.. We live & learn yep.. :-)
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
smuggers

Post by smuggers »

Kenn wrote:I also left clipless three years ago because of increasing knee problems. I then found that full clips didn't really give enough lateral and rotational movement to completely solve the problem (the ability to slide feet around during each pedal stroke seems to be key) Flat pedals just didn't give enough positive location on a long ride with smooth soled shoes (though they seem fine for shorter trips on folding bikes) . Finally settled on MKS urban platforms and nylon half clips which are excellent when used with smooth soled shoes which allow easy foot movement within the clip. The urban platform bearings are super smooth and half clips easy to flip in and out of when meeting traffic on the the very narrow single track roads where I mostly ride. Urban platforms are a bit narrow but the design makes pedal flipping really easy. Just discovered the new MKS steel wire cage clips and half clips that look really nice so will probably give them a try. I use a pair of Nike cycling-themed trainers which I bought very cheaply and which are surprisingly very good for real cycling. Don't know if they are still made. Indoor football shoes also look good since they have a flat sole.

Hope you find a good solution.

Thanks Kenn.. Like you I have the half clips & I'm pretty sure I have some old MKS steel full clips with straps somewhere.. I did ride my flats with my specialized mtb shoes & I'm not sure I like how they feel on the pedals..Might just be a case of getting use to the feel..idk. I have some salomon walking type shoes & will give them a go I think. Thanks again for your help Kenn. :-)
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
smuggers

Post by smuggers »

Brucey wrote:a good, cheap solution is to use SPD type MTB shoes on pedals with clips and straps but

a) don't fit the SPD cleat, leave the plug in the sole (buy shoes with a plug, of course...)

b) think about trimming the side lugs off the MTB shoe sole, so that the shoe will slide in and out of a toestrap easily.

c) use double straps

There are some absolutely superb quill and flat type pedals out there; take a look at the top MKS ones with the NJS certification, e.g. the RX-1 model.

cheers

Hello Brucey.. Had a ride out with my MKS sylvan & half clips this morning. I wore my specialized mtb shoes & I'm not sure about how they felt on the pedal. Perhaps I can grind the grippy soles down a bit, so I can get a more secure fit to the pedal.. Thanks for your advice..
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

One of the best out there is the Ergon pedals from sjscycles.co.uk and elsewhere:-
Ergon PC2 Pedals
Reviews
4 / 5 Road.cc - "Good pedals offering comfort, efficiency and decent grip, but they're only worth the investment for regular and long-term flat pedal users"
Manufacturer: Ergon
SJS Cycles Part Number: 25138L
Manufacturer Part Number: EG48010010
Price £59.99
Description
In the last 100 years, while other components have undergone significant change flat pedals have remained practically the same. It's surprising since pedals provide the point which transfers human power to the bike and ultimately the road. The position of the foot on the pedal influences your efficiency and has consequences for muscle development and joints from hip to toe. The Ergon PC2 is the first non SPD-type pedal to have been designed with the ergonomic demands and the biomechanics of the user in min. The result is impressive. A new type of pedal with features which will increase power and comfort and help avoid aches and pains associated with traditional designs.
- Ideal Touring, Commuting, General Riding
- Superlight GFK Composite
- Maintenance free polymer bearing
Sizes;
- Small: Fits up to UK 7.5
- Large: Fits from UK 8
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Bikefayre wrote:One of the best out there is the Ergon pedals ......

- Maintenance free polymer bearing.....

nice idea, terrible bearings as found on various cheap pedals.

Expect x10 to x100 more friction than with a half-decent ball-bearing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~