Charging devices in barbag

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

OK I have a barbag (carradice carradura). I have a dynamo. I have a luxos u.I also have a shortage of handlebar space. Therefore if i want to charge batteries,phone etc Id like to do it in the bag.
Is the best way just to run the luxos U lightswitch cable with the usb straight into the barbag..attach the usb and zip the bag up. Or if i waterproof the usb connection (I know how to do this), can i use a usb extender to run the usb cable only into the barbag.
Or is there a simple solution ive overlooked?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Can't see anything wrong with either. I run my cable from the USB connection straight to the GPS which is on my stem. If I'm charging my phone I run the cable from the USB to the phone which is safe in my bar bag. It's an old Ortlieb which clips shut so it's easy. Amazon sell lots of cheap cables of different lengths and of different fittings....hc

Edit: I've fitted the USB/light switch under the stem. It is out of the elements and is also sheltered by the bar bag. The B&M advice is not to charge while it's raining because their fitting isn't guaranteed waterproof. But if you can waterproof it I'm sure you can ignore this...hc
RonK

Post by RonK »

I do this too, but you must take care not to stress the connectors. Some batteries lack robustness around the cable ports and are easily damaged, breaking the internal connection.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
fluffybunnyuk

Re: Charging devices in barbag

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

ok thx. mine is under the stem too.So its quite a reach to the barbag.I'll go with a long cable properly secured then into the barbag with the usb end waterproofed.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

fluffybunnyuk wrote:ok thx. mine is under the stem too.So its quite a reach to the barbag.I'll go with a long cable properly secured then into the barbag with the usb end waterproofed.

How do you do that?

One day last "summer" Britanny had 23 mm of rain in a few hours and we happened to be under it trying to beat a deadline after dark. I had the GPS backlight permanently on but it could have been dodgy with the batteries edging towards zero. It's naturally in such conditions that I'd want to run the GPS off the hub, and I just acquired the E-Werk & the buffer battery to go with.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
honesty

Post by honesty »

I just unclipped the rubber band from my switch and bunged the whole thing in the barbag last time it started raining on me.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

Your best bet is to use a small plastic tube that slides over the 2 connected cables...the luxos usb bit&an IP68 usb cable....and seal it with silicone sealent (neutral/non-acidic cure) at either end. make sure its well taped to your bike. so the lightswitch sits on top of the bar and the tube goes underneath, and run the cable into the barbag.

Alternatively if you competent with electronics create an adapter IP68 usb cable with fuse yourself. Then you have no worries about throwing it in the river :lol:

EDIT: silicone sealent isnt moisture proof...but it will stop the water getting in, and shorting the connection.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

fluffybunnyuk wrote:Your best bet is to use a small plastic tube that slides over the 2 connected cables...the luxos usb bit&an IP68 usb cable....and seal it with silicone sealent (neutral/non-acidic cure) at either end. make sure its well taped to your bike. so the lightswitch sits on top of the bar and the tube goes underneath, and run the cable into the barbag.

Alternatively if you competent with electronics create an adapter IP68 usb cable with fuse yourself. Then you have no worries about throwing it in the river :lol:

EDIT: silicone sealent isnt moisture proof...but it will stop the water getting in, and shorting the connection.

Impressive. Now look what you've done FB! Just gone and given me another project!

Do you know how I can improve the waterproofness of the 'spade connections' that connect the cables to the lights? Insulating tape degrades too quickly. Anything I can heat/shrink round the fittings? Or would a glue be best?

Thanks in advance...hc
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I've noticed with mains chargers using a USB extension cable does increase the time a device takes to charge due to the voltage drop, so I would avoid using one if possible or keep it as short as possible . However, when I charge something in a bar bag I make sure the device is in an internal pocket or wrapped in something, you don't want it bouncing about and putting strain on the USB socket. I have used a USB lead with with plug at ninety degrees to the lead, which was ideal for charging a tablet as there wasn't a lot of room in the bag.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

Do you know how I can improve the waterproofness of the 'spade connections' that connect the cables to the lights? Insulating tape degrades too quickly. Anything I can heat/shrink round the fittings? Or would a glue be best?

Not sure if you meant the USB A socket or the connections on the lights rear. Ive interpreted it as the lights rear connections.
The spade connections dont need to be waterproof since the light isnt. If you mean weatherproof then it depends on how far you want to go. I use a conductive oil over the connections only with duct tape to guard the rear housing. Using sealent isnt worth it because of the hassle of removing it if the cable needs replacing. You could use heatshrink i suppose. Also theres unlikely to be enough rain to short the connections, so its unecessary.

And yes use as short a usb cable as you can. My carradura is front opening...hence the need for an extension.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

fluffybunnyuk wrote:

Not sure if you meant the USB A socket or the connections on the lights rear. Ive interpreted it as the lights rear connections.
The spade connections dont need to be waterproof since the light isnt. If you mean weatherproof then it depends on how far you want to go. I use a conductive oil over the connections only with duct tape to guard the rear housing. Using sealent isnt worth it because of the hassle of removing it if the cable needs replacing. You could use heatshrink i suppose. Also theres unlikely to be enough rain to short the connections, so its unecessary.

And yes use as short a usb cable as you can. My carradura is front opening...hence the need for an extension.

Thanks FB. Electronics is like outer-space travel to me. Good point re hassle. Enough of that as it is. I'm lucky with the Ortlieb bar bag as it's rear opening. Nice, tidy, short cables.....hc
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

fluffybunnyuk wrote:Your best bet is to use a small plastic tube that slides over the 2 connected cables...the luxos usb bit&an IP68 usb cable....and seal it with silicone sealent (neutral/non-acidic cure) at either end. make sure its well taped to your bike. so the lightswitch sits on top of the bar and the tube goes underneath, and run the cable into the barbag.

Ta, but I was thinking more of where the mini-USB plug goes into my eTrex. OK, the socket is on the underside of the eTrex and is recessed, but the drenching we got last August was comprehensive.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

A RAM aquabox may help, and a usb cable with a polyfuse in the line (self-healing)