I need help on choosing a Touring bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bonefishblues

Re: I need help on choosing a Touring bike

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Feb 2015, 4:29pm

Doormat wrote:Thanks everyone! This is a really helpful forum :)

Also the Dawes super Galaxy on spa cycles is a 2012 model and more expensive than the 2014 on the site I'm looking at on winstanleys bikes.

Hence the 2012 is still in stock :wink:

pete75

Postby pete75 » 11 Feb 2015, 5:20pm

foxyrider wrote:There are always plenty of used Galaxies for sale - just ask yourself why if they are so good?

They're a popular tourer with lots sold during their 40 years in production. That's why there are plenty of used for sale.

Merry_Wanderer

Postby Merry_Wanderer » 11 Feb 2015, 7:27pm

Posted twice in error!
Last edited by Merry_Wanderer on 11 Feb 2015, 7:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merry_Wanderer

Postby Merry_Wanderer » 11 Feb 2015, 7:39pm

Colin, I am 6 foot 4 and I have a Surly Disc Trucker in a 62cm frame. I have just checked Spa's website and I see they now do a 60cm frame in the steel tourer. When I bought the Surly the largest size in Spa's Tourer was a 58cm.

Anyhow Doormat, what I would suggest is trying different bikes out on a test ride. Don't buy over the internet without a test ride

Doormat

Postby Doormat » 11 Feb 2015, 8:34pm

Thanks everyone!
yeah if I'm spending £700+ i's definitely going to test a few bikes. I'm on a 53 frame atm.. doesn't seam to have any faults but then again I cant compare it to anything.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 11 Feb 2015, 9:45pm

Merry_Wanderer wrote:Colin, I am 6 foot 4 and I have a Surly Disc Trucker in a 62cm frame. I have just checked Spa's website and I see they now do a 60cm frame in the steel tourer. When I bought the Surly the largest size in Spa's Tourer was a 58cm. .........

I had actually forgotten that the 48 and 60 were done later than the middling sizes!

531colin

Postby 531colin » 12 Feb 2015, 8:48am

Doormat wrote:Thanks everyone!
yeah if I'm spending £700+ i's definitely going to test a few bikes. I'm on a 53 frame atm.. doesn't seam to have any faults but then again I cant compare it to anything.

Pardon me if I appear nosey, but I have a couple of thoughts that are more about you than your prospective new bike......
Might it be worthwhile doing a couple of local trips using your existing bike to see how you get on touring, before you buy a new bike and jet off to foreign parts?
If you spend time and money now to get a bike that is right for you, it can be a joy for the next 20 years or more. If you end up with something less than suitable, it could spoil what sounds like a fairly expensive trip.

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 12 Feb 2015, 8:54am

foxyrider wrote:
Doormat wrote:Thanks everyone! This is a really helpful forum :)
I'm from Northern Ireland.. Not sure if there is many good bike shops here, most of them have only road/mountain bikes.
I'm 5"8 and I've a 33 leg. I'm recommended to get a 57cm frame but the Dawes Galaxy I want it only in 58cm which isn't much of a difference but I heard its good to get a smaller rather than a bigger frame? Is this true.

Who recommended that? You really have a 33il? if that's the case you will struggle with reach on that huge 58cm, I'd be thinking 54cm tops, I have 2 inches on you and ride a 51cm!

if in doubt on size, always go smaller - you can do something about that, bigger you're stuffed!

True. But neither smaller or bigger will be a very satisfactory if the geometry is unsuited to body shape. I struggle in this regard. I'm 5'10" with an ISL of 33" and I tend to either have loads of seat post showing and a tall stem (smaller frame) or a very short stem (large frame). But it all depends on how long the OP's reach is. I don't think there will be a perfect off the shelf frame for him, so getting a small or large frame to fit will be a compromise, but with careful consideration it should be possible.

Doormat

Postby Doormat » 12 Feb 2015, 11:00am

531colin wrote:
Doormat wrote:Thanks everyone!

Pardon me if I appear nosey, but I have a couple of thoughts that are more about you than your prospective new bike......
Might it be worthwhile doing a couple of local trips using your existing bike to see how you get on touring, before you buy a new bike and jet off to foreign parts?
If you spend time and money now to get a bike that is right for you, it can be a joy for the next 20 years or more. If you end up with something less than suitable, it could spoil what sounds like a fairly expensive trip.

Your not being nosey what so ever, more helpful :)
I have a small tour planned locally but I don't even think my bike is up for it, it has no rack never mind panniers. I might just camp one night and then return home. Using a bag back or something, I don't know :?
I was planning on using my new bike for the small tour but you do have a good point which makes me think again..

531colin

Postby 531colin » 12 Feb 2015, 6:39pm

I hate carrying a back pack on a bike, something always seems to be the wrong shape.....either the bag or the bike, but perhaps its me! :wink:
I know you don't want to buy stuff twice, but I think a local trip or two on your existing bike would be a good plan.
You do need a fair amount of luggage for camping, but if you go B&B for a couple of nights, or hostelling, you can travel light.....hostelling you can travel light anyway because you can wash stuff, and there are sometimes interesting people to talk to staying at hostels.
Almost any bike will take enough luggage for hostelling/B&B, and you don't need an "expedition grade" carrier for lighter loads....£25 from Halfords http://www.halfords.com/cycling/accessories/panniers-racks/bikehut-rear-pannier-rack, or theres Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avenir-AMD227-Rear-Carrier-Silver/dp/B004XVPDMC/ref=sr_1_39?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1423765898&sr=1-39

cyclecycle

Postby cyclecycle » 14 Feb 2015, 3:28pm

Hi OP,

Similar situation to yourself...

Looking for a touring bike for commuting/touring/hauling cargo that's easier than my ancient mountain bike and better for long distance than my Brompton.

Had decided that Dawes Galaxy (rim brakes model) was the best bike I could get for the amount of money I had budgeted. Looked at the Ridgeback but thought the Dawes slightly better (plus prefered the look of it).

Dawes then go and update the models - the 2015 has a shorter front mudguard and new paint it seems.

Lo an behold people start discounting the 2014 bikes and saw the link for the Dawes Super Galaxy. A wee bit more money buys a better bike, so ordered, assembled and ridden and happy with the purchase.

Really nice bike and should last for years.

I'm 6 foot 1 inch so needed the 58 frame.

Good luck - hope this helps.