What tandem rim ? (700c)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Woodbridge Pete

What tandem rim ? (700c)

Post by Woodbridge Pete »

Thinking of doing some upgrades to the touring tandem, one of which is to replace the wheels (moving from freewheel to freehub, etc).

As rims have changed for the better over recent years, a move away from the Mavic Module4 rims at 28mm wide may be in order, as it will also allow better quality cantilever brakes (from cyclo-cross) to be used - most of which appear to be designed to create enough clearance for ideal adjustment when used with narrower rims.

What does the panel suggest I consider ?

[never had a problem with narrow rims on the racing tandem]
Revenge is sweet, but nicer served with custard
glueman

Post by glueman »

There are a few good makes around. Our last proper grown up tandem had 48 13 gauge spokes in each wheel. Nearest thing to a solid wheel but they stayed as straight as a die even on continental camping trips.

I'm no wheel builder but have a suspicion you can pull your rim ferrules out or even crack a rim if you go overboard on the tension with thick spokes so get something beefy. SJSC normally carry tough hoops.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I recently had a new rear wheel made by JD Cycles with a 48 hole Alex rim, slightly narrower than the Module 4 it replaced & with too many spokes really, but that was dictated by the new Shimano hub for a drum brake. New wheel seems strong enough but a b*gger to clean.
cdtb

What tandem rim ? (700c)

Post by cdtb »

Hi

We have two touring tandems, one Longstaff and one Dawes. The tandems have Mavic Module 4 or Sun Rhyno 700c 48 spoked rims with 13/14g spokes. I would rate the Sun rims much higher than the Mavic Module 4s, primarily because the eyelets tend to move under tension with the Mavics, whereas the Sun rims don't have eyelets. The Sun rimmed wheels have been superb, remained unblemished and have not required trueing in several years. cdtb
Woodbridge Pete

Post by Woodbridge Pete »

our current wheels are 40H, plenty stiff enough, with beefy spokes (heavily butted at the hub).

I'd be quite happy to come down to 36H. 48H isn't necessary
Revenge is sweet, but nicer served with custard
CJ

Re: What tandem rim ? (700c)

Post by CJ »

Woodbridge Pete wrote:As rims have changed for the better over recent years ...

What gives you that idea?

I'll grant they've gotten lighter and stiffer (in the radial direction only, where spokes provide most of the stiffness anyway), but less durable and inclined to fail explosively when they do, or crack around the spoke holes due to the use of stronger but less ductile alloys in thinner-walled extrusions.

But I suppose lighter and fewer spokes are what the racers want, so of course that must be "better". :roll:
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sunn Rhyno rims are a good rim despite having no eyelets but and its a big but they are heavy,700grms+ (I think).So if its tough as old boots that you want then Its Ryhno's.

We had a 40 hole DRC(can't remember which model)on the back of the Dawes Galaxy Twin that we sold last year,we'd only covered about 2,000mls with it before we sold it but it was a good rim whilst we had it.

We've got 48hole Mavic 217's on the Santana because thats what it came with,no problems in 4,000mls.

Friends we ride with are on 719's and they're happy with them though complain that they are worn out in 10,000 to 12,000mls in all weathers though mainly flatish terrain.

Thats the best I can offer. :0)