H Plus Son Archetype rims.....or.....?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Godlykepower

H Plus Son Archetype rims.....or.....?

Post by Godlykepower »

I have recently acquired a mid-nineties Colnago Master :D which was in very good condition to begin with, but I have steadily been putting my stamp on it, largely making it period correct-ish & standardising the mish-mash of Campagnolo components that were on it (Record Titanium rear mech, Veloce cranks, Daytona front mech, Chorus brakes, Chorus Ergo shifters) so that it is now Record throughout, including Delta brakes.

Currently, the wheels are Campag hubs (which I don't know how to identify) on Mavic CXP30 rims. I serviced the hubs & they feel pretty good, but I want to do the project properly, so I have managed to find NOS Record hubs - 36/32.

I want to keep the Mavic wheels intact & with these new hubs, have a second set of wheels, which I will learn how to build myself.

So, finally to the point! What rims would you recommend I use? They don't have to be period correct or suitable for racing, as I will mainly use the bike when its done, for Sunday my best, perhaps even a fair weather Audax or two.
I'm a fairly stout chap, more barrel chested & wide shouldered, than actually fat, so I need something strong.

I currently only have H Pus Son Archetype rims on my list.

Will these do? Are they as brilliant as I'm led to believe? Would you recommend something else, and why?
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
Brucey

Re: H Plus Son Archetype rims.....or.....?

Post by Brucey »

they are nice rims, but they are also £50-odd quid a pop.

Myself, I am not quite sure that they are two and a half times as nice as rims that cost £20.

If you were building 28/32 then I would suggest DT Swiss R450 rims were well worth looking at. Unfortunately they don't seem to produce then in 36h though, which is a pity; they are about half the cost of the H Plus rims and pretty much just as nice IMHO; in fact they are a little lighter in weight.

Mavic CXP22 rims are available in 28,32,36 drilling and are a pretty good workhorse rim. They are a little heavier (510g) than the R450 rim (~450g). CXP22 can be had for less than £24 if you shop around.

BTW IIRC the three rims above all have ERD values within a 2mm range, so you can likely interchange these rims without using different spoke lengths.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tim.mifsud

Post by tim.mifsud »

Love my 36h H Plus Son Archetypes. I'm a stout chap too at 114kg and I ride lots and hard. These are the only wheels that can handle me without falling apart. Tried a few other brands like Giant rims and Alex Rims. These kick their butt.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Brucey wrote: Myself, I am not quite sure that they are two and a half times as nice as rims that cost £20.

If you were building 28/32 then I would suggest DT Swiss R450 rims were well worth looking at. Unfortunately they don't seem to produce then in 36h though, which is a pity; they are about half the cost of the H Plus rims and pretty much just as nice IMHO; in fact they are a little lighter in weight.

I had a pair of DT Swiss wheels built for me last year, and I'm really happy with them.

I think the only DT Swiss road rims that come in a 36h variety are the TK 540. They are a little heavier, at 540 g, but they are a nice rim, and have a good reputation for sturdiness. They do have a slightly bigger ERD, as well, but I would probably use DT Swiss spokes with it anyway. They are in the same price range as the H Plus Son Archetype.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Andyw

Post by Andyw »

I can highly recommend H Plus Son Archetypes. I build 2 sets for myself last year one on Ultegra and the other on 105 hubs, both 32/36. Zero problem with any wheel and I'm over 100kgs.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

one thing I would say is that, for a rim of this weight, I doubt if you will find one that is stiffer (and here the width helps) and additionally it appears to have reasonable thickness in the braking surfaces (for a rim of this weight).

Last time I had some in my hands I didn't measure them... :roll: ... but if the illustration is correct the braking surface thickness is about 1.75mm. I don't think there are many sub-500g rims with this amount of meat in that part of the rim.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I've been using Ambrosio Excellence rims for the past few years, they're generally recognised by wheel builders as the toughest, strongest rims for general purpose riding. And good value compared to the H Son, which I've mostly found over priced, for what you get.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

You'll find the countrys top builders, like Wheelsmith recommending the Excellence over almost any other aluminum rim.
They know what they're talking about, building 2500-3000 pairs of bespoke wheels every year!!
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

RogerThat wrote:You'll find the countrys top builders, like Wheelsmith recommending the Excellence over almost any other aluminum rim.
They know what they're talking about, building 2500-3000 pairs of bespoke wheels every year!!

“Bespoke” would seem to have a limited meaning here if everyone gets the Ambrosio Excellence.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

My bespoke wheels are Son H+ Archetype as I wanted something a bit more robust compared to the Durace wheels ( very nice light wheels) for Audaxing. 1000+km science Christmas and I'm very happy with them. I'M 105kg by the way.
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

From personal expierience I can recommend Kinlin XC 279 and Dt Swiss R460 , both a fair amount cheaper too.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Keezx wrote:From personal expierience I can recommend Kinlin XC 279 and Dt Swiss R460 , both a fair amount cheaper too.

DT Swiss R460 are good rims, but they come in 24, 28, and 32 hole versions. I think the OP is after 36 hole rims.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

No, he's not

Godlykepower wrote:Currently, the wheels are Campag hubs (which I don't know how to identify) on Mavic CXP30 rims. I serviced the hubs & they feel pretty good, but I want to do the project properly, so I have managed to find NOS Record hubs - 36/32.

iow

Post by iow »

I seem to remember my archetypes measuring 1.6mm width at the braking surface. they are the 'early' model - I believe hps have since added more material to the nipple lands. also mine do not display the large step between the braking surface and rim wall as in the drawing posted by brucey - perhaps they added more material to the braking surfaces too (although listed weights would suggest not)? very well finished rim, and an easy build.
mark