Options For Stopping Cable Rub

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Thomas125

Options For Stopping Cable Rub

Post by Thomas125 »

My hydraulic outers have rubbed the ally fork down to the metal and I can actually feel a dip in the surface running my finger across it.

What are my options for stopping any more damage. Seen jag wire top tubes so far.

Any other options out there?

Thanks

Thomas
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

"Life is one long bike ride" :-)
reohn2

Re: Options For Stopping Cable Rub

Post by reohn2 »

Look for helicopter tape on Ebay it's thickish clear adhesive tape,you can buy it in sheets of various sizes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extra-Clear-H ... 4177892b1e
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
nathb

Post by nathb »

reohn2 wrote:Look for helicopter tape on Ebay it's thickish clear adhesive tape,you can buy it in sheets of various sizes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extra-Clear-H ... 4177892b1e

+1 for helicopter tape.

I also use it as a chain guard on the rear of the frame.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

That's a good tip, I've just ordered some!

I normally use black insulation tape. It works well on in long strips, such as on a chainstay, but smaller pieces sometimes come off after a while.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

I use cheap transparent sticky back sheet from wilko or the like. I had helicopter tape once, didn't think much of it, especially for the price.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
nathb

Post by nathb »

robc02 wrote:That's a good tip, I've just ordered some!

I normally use black insulation tape. It works well on in long strips, such as on a chainstay, but smaller pieces sometimes come off after a while.

Good tip for the chain stay?

I really like it as you still get to see the design/paint work: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=94386&start=45#p876745
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Or these for much less money from Decathlon and they do a good job too
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Thomas125 wrote: Seen jag wire top tubes so far.

I've got these on my bike as well as Heli tape on the headtube. I did look at the Sram offerings too but went with JAgwire cause they came in a bigger pack size for the same money, 6 opposed to 4. Both look to be the same item with different branding on them. Being split along the length they takes seconds to fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... =&_sacat=0
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

I've used judiciously placed strips of self adhesive "velcro" tape (loop side) on my frame to prevent cable abrasion with good effect.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

ubert767 wrote:I've used judiciously placed strips of self adhesive "velcro" tape (loop side) on my frame to prevent cable abrasion with good effect.

+1, or translucent inner tube patches (scabs?) for a quick fix, or helicopter tape for larger areas where you don't want to mask the colour.
"42"
willcee

Post by willcee »

i hate cable rub on any frame with a vengeance.. i have used small o rings maybe 6 or 8 over cables when recabling that was when i had a box of o rings , now all used , now i use decathalon , jagwires or whatever i can source, ebay or wherever i see them at reasonable cost, the sticky pads don't stick neither do the carbon ones especially if theres any shaping on the frame curves etc helicopter tape yellows in the sun,. but basically anything is better than rub. i have witnessed outer gear cable worn down until the steel wires were visible.. and the guy complaining of poor shift quality!!! will
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

I know carbon patches have already been mentioned, but in my case they stuck down firm and haven't budged:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... re_Patches

In addition to where the brake cable was rubbing I've stuck them where the top of the pump rests on the frame and where the bottom of the water bottle rests on the frame.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Helicopter tape looks good though never used.

On my old hybrid cum tourer (with colin's wheels, must take the id off) i use silver duct tape. Makes the bike look far less nickable around London and the would-be thieves will never know i find it a joy to ride.
Sweep
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Think I'll go with the foam tubes they look good.

I'll probably order some carbon patches at some point in the future as the tops of the forks look a bit raggedy now.

Most important thing is to stop it quick.
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

"Life is one long bike ride" :-)