Undoing the Powerlink

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

Think I will keep with my 9 speed then. :roll:
Makes you wonder how Mr R Booty would have faired all those years ago in his ‘straight-out’ 100 mile record if he had a 10 speed instead of his trusty 3 speed hub gear.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi again Colin,
I went up to 9sp some years ago, and was very pleased with the Campag system. Crisp and clean changes - I was in heaven!

I've only just up-graded to 10sp, and only done 7 miles or so, but WOW!
CrispER and cleanER and SILENT! The chain links have been re-designed(?) as well as being made narrower and the cassette sprocket teeth are sharper and differently profiled. There was never a sound from it, it just felt as though I was in Belt Drive on a cone system!

The clicks in the Ergo control are obviously closer together, so the lever doesn't need to be moved as far. Sweet as a nut!

I'm just going to have to get the knack of undoing the KMC link, it's certainly worth the trouble, 10sp rocks!!!!
Mick F. Cornwall
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

Gosh, I might convert to a Daff drive!
Sorry, I thought that all derailleur gears had to clank. :wink:
awparker

Tool for removing a Powerlink

Post by awparker »

I have been following this topic with interest as I have on occasions struggled to remove a Powerlink easily.

Following an earlier suggestion I purchase a pair of bent nosed pliers at a local discount store for just £1. As might be expected for the price the steel is quite soft and easily worked with a file.

The first picture shows the jaws thinned down so as to fit easily between the chain inner plates. It is important that they do not force these plates outward thus preventing the pins on the Powerlink from sliding

The next picture shows a groove filed in the plier jaws to fit around the chain rollers

Finally the tool in place and ready to use.

Hopefully a useful device for a very low cost and about half an hours work in the vice.

Alan
georgew

Post by georgew »

That looks to be just the job. Being idle I bought the ready-made version.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail ... em=MLP%2D1
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well done, Alan!

My turn next with the vice and a file!
Mick F. Cornwall
andyml

Post by andyml »

i always found it tricky until someone advised me to clean the link with white spirit first...then it really is straightforward...good luck andy
mgronow

Re: Tool for removing a Powerlink

Post by mgronow »

[quote="awparker"]I have been following this topic with interest as I have on occasions struggled to remove a Powerlink easily.
[/quote]

Hi Alan,

Its good to know I'm not the only one who's found this process tricky on occasion. Many thanks for taking the time to post the pictures, I'm going to keep my eye open for cheap set of pliers and give it a go!

regards
martin
360fix

Re: Undoing the Powerlink

Post by 360fix »

I had no trouble releasing the SRAM Powerlink on my 8 speed road bike and managed with just my bare hands. It was a different story with my 7 speed hybrid bike. Couldn't shift it with my bare hands. I couldn't figure why not. Consulted the Bicycle Tutor:

http://bicycletutor.com/quick-release-chain-link/

Managed to get it off with a pair of sharp nosed pliers though I suppose an ordinary pair of bulldogs would have done. But the master link was a KMC not an SRAM Powerlink which is much easier to open and close. You can open and close a KMC master link on a clean dry chain with just your bare hands but it is impossible on an oily chain where your fingers just slip. With a Powerlink from SRAM you can open and close it with your bare hands whether it is dirty or clean. White Spirit helps to remove the dirty lubricant.

awparker

Re: Tool for removing a Powerlink

Post by awparker »

Here is my solution to the problem which I posted on this forum some while ago now. Hope it helps

Alan

awparker wrote:I have been following this topic with interest as I have on occasions struggled to remove a Powerlink easily.

Following an earlier suggestion I purchase a pair of bent nosed pliers at a local discount store for just £1. As might be expected for the price the steel is quite soft and easily worked with a file.

The first picture shows the jaws thinned down so as to fit easily between the chain inner plates. It is important that they do not force these plates outward thus preventing the pins on the Powerlink from sliding

The next picture shows a groove filed in the plier jaws to fit around the chain rollers

Finally the tool in place and ready to use.

Hopefully a useful device for a very low cost and about half an hours work in the vice.

Alan
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Some powerlink connectors are designed to use chain tension and some lock in place. Mavic links are an example of the former and 10 speed sram powerlink an example of the latter. Basically if you need to apply pressure to click the link into place then you are very likely going to need mechanical assistance to undo the link and in this case the park tool is the bees knees.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Push a bit of wire through it and twist the ends together with a pair of pliers - saves buying any special tools - seems to work for me.
mgronow

Post by mgronow »

Hi I never did bend those pliers...but these are cheap http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bbb-open-link-closing-link-tool-btl77/rp-prod47439 but would they work with a 8/9 speed SRAM link?

cheers
m.
Vaya

Re:

Post by Vaya »

PW wrote:Squeeze the sides of the link together, then slide them lengthways. They come straight off.

This.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

A "link" :mrgreen: to another post with the subject included:-
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83800
You'll never know if you don't try it.