pumps

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ds

pumps

Post by ds »

can anyone reccomend a mini pump that really works. my track pump is a joy, but if i get a puncture en route my blackburn mini pump is pretty useless. someone must have something small enough to fit into a pannier or large pocket, that pumps tyres to 100psi or so?

DS.
Risto

Re:pumps

Post by Risto »

For three or so years, I've been using a small foot pump called "bikers dream". It is tolerably small and comes in its own nylon bag, which is big enough to contain tyre levers, repair kit and a few other bits and pieces (it also has loops to attach to the frame). The bag is roughly 14 x 10 x 9cm. The pump is easy to use, has proved very robust and will easily get you to your 100 psi without hernia or blisters! It's a little heavier than is perhaps ideal but as I say, it has proved to be a tough little item. Not sure where you can get them these days - I got mine from the old CTC shop.
tomjw

Post by tomjw »

I swear by my Topeak mountain morph - it is a bit more expensive than some but well worth it. It has a hose connection and can be used like a track pump so it is effortless to obtain high pressures. One of my favourite pieces of cycling equipment.
Pedalling Pete

Post by Pedalling Pete »

DS, I have used the Blackburn Mini-stick for some years to carry on my Giant TCR. I found it excellent. The latest version claims 160psi, so I don't see your problem, unless you are using a Mountain type pump for Road tyres. Back home of course I use a track pump, not a mini. On my tourer I use a full length Blackburn - a name I can always trust - for times away from home and from the track pump.