Sturmey Steelite SBR Axle Thread

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SA_SA_SA

Sturmey Steelite SBR Axle Thread

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I have an old* rear Sturmey SBR steelite 70mm rear brake hub for screw-in Freewheel:

I would be grateful if anyone knew the thread pitch/size of the rear axle (and whether it is a standard bicycle size (eg 3/8in) or an SA special :( ).

(I predict Brucey will know :) )

* it has cup and cone bearings
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Brucey

Re: Sturmey Steelite SBR Axle Thread

Post by Brucey »

I just checked (to make sure I'd remembered correctly) and it is

3/8" x 26tpi

I think that (once modified) the RH cones from a current SBF hub (HSA237) may be an acceptable substitute. Or perhaps if you want labyrinth seals, the cones fitted to the small flange of a GH6 dynohub might do. They are also 3/8" threaded.

The HSA237 part has no flats on it, but a few moments work with a grinder will fix that.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Thanks, although it is the axle nuts (HMN 118) I am interested in: it seems they are a standard size after all, which is convenient for my plan. :)

NB I was puzzled (a fair while ago) by the lack of flats on the SBR's RHS cone: it made moving the axle across (to get an undished wheel) rather trickier than it could have been :( .
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Brucey wrote:I just checked (to make sure I'd remembered correctly) and it is 3/8" x 26tpi...
I presume this means I can use a standard 3/8" x 26tpi derailleur solid 174mm rear axle as a replacement in my SBR(if cones etc swapped for the SBR ones)?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yes. However I note that steelite axles often have a feature on the RHS which is intended to prevent the RH cone from precessing inwards; whether this hub is particularly prone to problems of this sort I am not sure.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~