10 Speed Shimergo

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Colin Stanley

10 Speed Shimergo

Post by Colin Stanley »

I have tried to search on this but without success.
Is it possible to have a 10 speed Shimano rear cassette and long cage rear mech (so as to give a really low bottom gear) and a triple front chainset with whatever mech, operated by Campag Ergo levers?
I might be getting a 10 speed Shimano setup and triple rings and am worried that as I will still continue to use Campag Ergo on my other bikes, I might operate the brake(?) gear levers the wrong way and therefore shift in the wrong direction.
Can anyone advise please?
RRSODL

Re: 10 Speed Shimergo

Post by RRSODL »

No, you can't but you can get a 9 speed cassette with 11 speeds Campy shifters.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Yes you can. 11 speed campag shifters with a shimano rear mech and cassette with the hubbub mod to the cable clamp on the rear mech. have a read of the Shimergo article linked to here - http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... s/shimergo. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

Thanks rjb. Looks like a bit of heavy reading...
Will do my best to wade through it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Colin Stanley wrote:Thanks rjb. Looks like a bit of heavy reading...

You don't need to read through it all. You just need 11 speed Ergos and this cable attachment
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

rjb wrote:Yes you can. 11 speed campag shifters with a shimano rear mech and cassette with the hubbub mod to the cable clamp on the rear mech. have a read of the Shimergo article linked to here - http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... s/shimergo. :wink:

Oh yes, I complete forgot about it . I did try with the 10 speed shifter and 9 speed cassette but it never workee very well so I settled for 8 speed cassette standard cable attachment.

There is however a little device called shift mate or something like that that takes care of the problem and I'm told it works very well.
Last edited by RRSODL on 30 May 2015, 10:37am, edited 1 time in total.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

RRSODL wrote:
rjb wrote:Yes you can. 11 speed campag shifters with a shimano rear mech and cassette with the hubbub mod to the cable clamp on the rear mech. have a read of the Shimergo article linked to here - http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... s/shimergo. :wink:

Oh yes, I complete forgot about it . I did try with the 10 speed shifter and 9 speed cassette but it never work very well so I settled for 8 speed cassette and standard wire attachment.

There is however a little device called shift mate or something like that that takes care of the problem and I'm told it works very well.

I'm running the so called hubbub mod with 10 speed Centaur Ergo, 10 speed 105 rear dérailleur and 9 speed cassette and it all works very well. What components did you use?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

105 and Veloce Ergo shifters.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Depends on how fussy you are. I use both very early and 2015 shifters with an unknown age Comp triple mech. Cassette is a 10 speed SRAM so shimano spacing . works fine. Better with some wear in the top jockey wheel.
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

pete75 wrote:
Colin Stanley wrote:Thanks rjb. Looks like a bit of heavy reading...

You don't need to read through it all. You just need 11 speed Ergos and this cable attachment

So the bike would need a long cage Shimano rear mech with a wide ratio 10 speed Shimano cassette with the cable clamped as in the pic married to 11 speed Campag Ergo levers.
It sounds too simple :oops:
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Be careful on which Shimano rear mech' you choose.
Some now are different and don't match like they used too.
ie:- All Shimano rear mechs used to work with all shifters as they had the same "pull".
That included road and MTB mech's untill 10 speed MTB ones came on the scene.
So all road mech's upto and including 10 speed and all MTB mech's upto and including 9 speed have the same pull ratio.
11 speed, I have no idea about them. :roll:
Last edited by cycleruk on 31 May 2015, 4:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

I have just looked on ShiftMate website and the link to SJS for the compatability guide. It appears possible to have a ShiftMate model 3 which would allow 10 speed Campag Ergo levers with 10 speed Shimano rear mech and Shimano cassette.

That is fine for the rear mech, but I have forgotten about the front.

On my current bike I still use a 9 speed Ergo system which allows the front mech to be inched a bit to ensure no chain rub.

Does any one know if this is still possible with 10 and 11 speed Ergo levers?

In other words can I still use a Campag (or Shimano?) front mech with 10 or 11 speed Ergos?

I am not looking to mod my current bike, I am trying to sort out a spec for a new tandem so that I can still use the logic of the Ergo lever operation as I feel I am bound to make gear shift mistakes when chatting to 'er indoors behind.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

What does work is:
Campag 10s levers, Campag front/rear mech (9 or 10s for me), 9s Shimano (compatible) hub/cassette.

I have this combo on my three bikes and it works flawlessly.

I'm sticking with 9s as long as possible, as I think 9s components will be around for some time to come.
Campag 10s levers are repairable and still being sold.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Colin Stanley wrote:I have just looked on ShiftMate website and the link to SJS for the compatability guide. It appears possible to have a ShiftMate model 3 which would allow 10 speed Campag Ergo levers with 10 speed Shimano rear mech and Shimano cassette.

That is fine for the rear mech, but I have forgotten about the front.

On my current bike I still use a 9 speed Ergo system which allows the front mech to be inched a bit to ensure no chain rub.

Does any one know if this is still possible with 10 and 11 speed Ergo levers?

In other words can I still use a Campag (or Shimano?) front mech with 10 or 11 speed Ergos?

I am not looking to mod my current bike, I am trying to sort out a spec for a new tandem so that I can still use the logic of the Ergo lever operation as I feel I am bound to make gear shift mistakes when chatting to 'er indoors behind.

Yes I have 10 speed centaur ergos, centaur front on a triple, 10 speed 105 on the back with 9 speed cassette. It all works flawlessly.