Rust-resistant chains by KMC (or others)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Samuel D

Rust-resistant chains by KMC (or others)

Post by Samuel D »

I had to order another chain yesterday. Went with a KMC X8.99 as a compromise between durability, price, and availability (wanted a Wippermann Connex 808 but my usual suppliers didn’t have them in stock).

I noticed KMC also has an “EPT” range of chains, which I hadn’t seen before. EPT stands for EcoProTeQ anti-rust technology, apparently (don’t ask me why the Q at the end is capitalised!). See here.

How does this differ from nickel plating? I thought nickel plating was already quite effective at inhibiting corrosion.

And though it’s too late to change my choice this time, is there even much point in paying extra for a nickel-plated chain? In other words, does a bit of rust on the chain do any real harm? My worn chain has a fair bit of rust despite spending its life slathered in lube and seeing very little water.
CREPELLO

Re: Rust-resistant chains by KMC (or others)

Post by CREPELLO »

I know nothing about that new treatment, but I doubt it would be very effective, well no more effective than nickel, which I doubt helps much. You can have a lovely shiny looking nickel plated chain on the outside, but it's what's on the inside that counts. Normal wear and tear is soon going to strip any plating or treatment. Then the only thing between you and a rusty chain is good lube.

You have the best indicator of rust forming and that's a non plated chain. Signs of rust should motivate cleaning or lubing. Would you be aware of any rust in a nickel plated chain?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Couldn't rust be seen as a warning sign? And a useful indication you need to give your drive train some TLC? Rust could be seen as good in that sense...b
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

My old chain (actually a not very old KMC Z8; I was disappointed how quickly it wore out) has lots of visible rust on the outer plates. Of course not remotely enough to compromise its strength, but perhaps enough to increase internal wear?

The bike has been used in mostly dry weather and stored indoors, so I’m a bit surprised. Hence my splurging (well, €16) on an X8.99 this time.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Nickel plating looks nice! also rust on the outer plates could contribute to the likelyhood and severity of chain suck. I bought a Clarkes anti rust chain recently, it's a horrible matt pale grey colour and is basically galvanised, I think. I don't know how it performs because I couldn't bear to inflict it on a nice old bike.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

just cover it in oil, it will be fine
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

gregoryoftours wrote:. I bought a Clarkes anti rust chain recently, it's a horrible matt pale grey colour and is basically galvanised, I think. I don't know how it performs because I couldn't bear to inflict it on a nice old bike.

Is that a mercalia special? I got 2 or 3 and mine are likely to be rust free for ever since they are also likely to remain in their boxes. I know what you mean about the finish - reminds me of old dustbins.

I have come to the conclusion that it's best just to use cheap untreated uncoated untarted chains but from a decent manufacturer. I have the impression that any surface rust can very easily be banished the next day by a bit of oiling, quick rub and wipe and a good ride.
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

greyingbeard wrote:just cover it in oil, it will be fine

:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

gregoryoftours wrote:I bought a Clarkes anti rust chain recently, it's a horrible matt pale grey colour and is basically galvanised, I think. I don't know how it performs because I couldn't bear to inflict it on a nice old bike.

So you bought it before checking the forum?
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=861816#p861816 wrote:probably the worst chain I've ever used

I didn't like it either.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.