New to discs. What am I doing wrong?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
don1

Re: New to discs. What am I doing wrong?

Post by don1 »

Hi all. Thanks for the replies. My main issue is them just not being very 'grabby'. The rear particularly. I took it into my bike dealer on Sunday to take a look. I got a call today to say that the rear brake had a fault. The seal near the piston had failed.

I had noticed greasy dirt on the underside of the brake in the past but I put it down to road grime. It turns out it was brake fluid.

They're sorting it out under warranty so I should finally have my confidence restored in the brakes.
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

That would explain it.
Once you get them sorted, if you want a little more 'grab', taking a fine grade emery paper to the discs helps. Buff the braking surface from the centre of the disc outwards, then rub clean (I use meths...seems to work). The minute scoring on the braking surface gives the brake a little extra bite.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

don1 wrote:.... I got a call today to say that the rear brake had a fault. The seal near the piston had failed....

They're sorting it out under warranty so I should finally have my confidence restored in the brakes.

one of my concerns about these brakes is that there is about twice as much to go wrong as either a hydro brake or a cable brake, because you have near as many parts as both types of brake put together. This isn't the first time I've heard of a leak in this model of brake....

Hopefully the replacement will be more reliable than this....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~