Books on bike maintenance

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
captain offensive

Books on bike maintenance

Post by captain offensive »

Hi all. Can anyone recommend a good book on bike maintenance? Ashamed to say that beyond the bare basics to keep going on the road I've never been that hot on the subject and would like to rectify that. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Many thanks. :-)
The fat commuter

Re: Books on bike maintenance

Post by The fat commuter »

This one may be a little out of date now but it was a brilliant book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Richards-Bicycl ... 0330267663
jezer

Post by jezer »

There are also many excellent clips on uTube.
Power to the pedals
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I think it is fair to say that the best book might vary with the kind of bike that you have; there are many systems that may be fitted to modern bikes that are irrelevant if your bike isn't fitted with them, and talk of such just takes up book space that might be better used in some other way.

Some folk would suggest that you don't need a book these days anyway; there are so many websites that can help out (Sheldon brown, park tools etc) and there are innumerable youtube videos too (although these can be of, uh, variable quality, or just plain misleading in some cases).

Another option is to take a bike maintenance course; not everyone learns well from books anyway.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

The problem with relying on YouTube (and similar) is that you may not know about maintaining something that needs to be maintained. It's good to have a list to work to - and then use the Internet to back that last up with the skills needed. It is true though that bikes have evolved so much recently that one book will not fit all any more.
jardine

Post by jardine »

I've been in this situation recently. I did some research and acquired this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-Bike-Main ... aintenance

I've done a fair amount of servicing since, based on the book and with reference to YouTube videos (some are good, some are terrible... it's the internet after all!) and other sources and touch wood, all seems to be running well.

A good bike shop mechanic will do a certain amount of hand-holding and helping one learn to do stuff oneself.

I used to take motorbikes to bits (and put them back together so they worked!) years ago, and I'm struck by what a different engineering discipling working on bicycles is.

Good luck, OP!
nez

Post by nez »

I think we should have a book of 'ask Brucey' replies
PH

Post by PH »

Brucey wrote:Another option is to take a bike maintenance course; not everyone learns well from books anyway.
cheers

I find it hard to follow instructions in a book, for me seeing something done once is better than reading it a hundred times. Youtube has been a real boon for this, although there are good and bad it isn't hard to tell which is which.
Where I find a book good is in understanding how things work, and for this I've enjoyed the Lennard Zinn book, Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (There's a MTB book as well) It's one thing knowing how to fit X to Y, but IMO understanding the why will help you get the best from your bike.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've written my own (about 70 A5 pages now). It only has my own bike stuff in it, my own notes and my own measurements and parts. If I do a job, I type it up or improve the page already written. Obviously it's drawn from all manner of sources (this forum, youtube, Park Tools, various bike books etc). It works for me as I can just get down to exactly what I need to know each time and i can add things like "use the screwdriver that you borrowed from next door" - you won't find that even in the best repair manual. It sounds arduous but it isn't - even just keeping your own notes in plastic wallets in a ring binder will work well.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

Park Tool's "Blue Book" (BBB) is really good . I got the first version, but it is now out in a third edition (BBB-3). It's main virtue is its logical and systematic approach when describing how to install or maintain a single bicycle sub component like a derailleur. It is narrowly focused on that, and doesn't contain much discussion on wider aspects of bicycle maintenance.

L. Zinn's "Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance" is also quite good. It has wider focus than the BBB and include tips on emergency repairs, saddle setups etc. Not as systematic and logical as the BBB, so sometimes it isn't so easy to use as a guide for doing a particular repair.

Both books are good enough, it just depend on what you want.
--
Regards
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

+1 for Park Tools "Big Blue Book."
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

+1 for Zinn.
gaz

Post by gaz »

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Youtube for me, you cant properly adjust Shimano gears when your gears are Sram, or Avid brakes when your brakes are from Shimano. Never found any book any good.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Barrenfluffit wrote:+1 for Zinn.

Me 3