Brooks B67 v. B73

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hartleymartin

Brooks B67 v. B73

Post by hartleymartin »

Hi everyone. I'm looking at purchasing a Brooks saddle for my "city bicycle" and was wondering if I should go with a B73 this time. I have previously had a B67, sadly it was on a bike which was stolen from my college campus, and I did quite like that. I was wondering if I should go with the B73 for a little extra springing as the bicycle I will be putting it on has a stiffer frame than my last one. It is most definitely a sit-upright bicycle this time too. Just for information, I am 6'2" and about 112kg, so I'm no featherweight!
Martin Hartley from Sydney, Australia
Self-confessed Raleigh Twenty tragic.
http://raleightwenty.webs.com
Brucey

Re: Brooks B67 v. B73

Post by Brucey »

B67 will fit to a microadjust seat post;

B73 has traditional twinrail design, will only fit (easily) to a plain seat post;

B73 feels different to ride on, at first almost like the saddle is not bolted on the bike securely.

B130 has longer travel springs and offers novel security options;

With any of these saddles I'd worry that the springs are going to bottom out. With the B130 I don't know what the preload on the tension springs is; I'd suggest that you consult Brooks re the load rating on the saddles, and also whether spare springs etc are available local to you.

Much as I like riding on Brooks saddles I've come to the conclusion that they are not for bikes that you leave locked up; maybe it is different where you are but here in the UK thieves like to steal the saddle or the whole bike.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~