Tyre recommendations please!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
danfoto

Tyre recommendations please!

Post by danfoto »

Our Thorn Sherpas both need new tyres and I'm wondering what to get this time.

Size is 26 x 1.75 and nowadays we're nearly always on roads and urban tracks. Grip on wet tarmac and puncture resistance matter more to us than the expected life of the tyre.

If you have a suggestion, the reasons for it would be particularly appreciated. Thanks :)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
mercalia

Re: Tyre recommendations please!

Post by mercalia »

what do u have at the moment? and why the change?

I have a Dawes 1-Down 26" not unlike your sherpas and have Marathon 1.75" HS368 ( the old one ) I got from Spa. I dont find them uncomfortable at this size at 65 rear 55 front. ( I am heavy ) but I am not sure of the puncture resistance. I dont think the kevlar is any good for needle thorns ( no pun intended ) I have the later green guard one waiting in my tyre store that seems a better idea, more like haveing a tyre liner, some people here have said they are a harsher ride.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Panaracer Pasela at present, on the grounds that that's what was fitted when we got them. But the puncture resistance doesn't seem to be as good as the Marathon Plus on our Kalkhoffs ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
pwa

Post by pwa »

If you can afford it, have a look at Marathon Supremes. I put them on my wife's 700c wheels and they look really good. Unlike the Paselas (which I also like) the tread extends up the sides, getting thinner, giving sidewall protection. The semi-slick tread looks fast ( haven't ridden to test it myself, yet) and grip seems good. And they seem fairly light. Thorn also recommend them for fast touring.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

danfoto wrote:But the puncture resistance doesn't seem to be as good as the Marathon Plus on our Kalkhoffs ...
Quelle suprise :roll: Slime filled tube?
I like these (for tarmac only), especially for the harder central strip. Note that they are folders (Wiggle's wrong).
HTH
"42"
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Unfortunately, fast/grippy and good puncture protection are often mutually exclusive tyre qualities. Marathon plus are the most puncture resistant tyres you'll find anywhere so don't expect anything else to match if that is your main criterion. However, they are a harsh ride. Personally, I found the ordinary Marathons a much more tolerable compromise whilst still very puncture resistant. But are punctures really such a problem? I can see why someone who has wrestled a Marathon Plus onto a rim wants to avoid ever doing so again, but most tyres aren't that difficult. These days I'm going for lighter/faster and tolerating the extra puncture or 2 a year.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Well you do get faster at fixing them with practise. It's a kind of random negative re-enforcement so its about how adverse you are to that I guess. Certainly on a hot day or in the rain I'd put a premium on keeping moving.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Bicycler wrote: But are punctures really such a problem? I can see why someone who has wrestled a Marathon Plus onto a rim wants to avoid ever doing so again, but most tyres aren't that difficult. These days I'm going for lighter/faster and tolerating the extra puncture or 2 a year.

No, they weren't a particular problem - until my wife was left with some muscle wastage after cancer treatment and the arthritis in my right thumb got as bad as it now is. In any case, "faster" is no longer a big deal, so as we couldn't really justify the extra cost of Marathon Supreme, we've gone for Marathon Plus :)

Incidentally, I was wrong about the tyres on our electrics - they're Marathon Plus Tours!

Thanks chaps!
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Ah, okay, then I can understand the desire to avoid roadside puncture repair.

Happy cycling :D
borderghost

Post by borderghost »

How about these schwalbe city jets, seem a really good value @£9 http://www.halfords.com/cycling/parts/t ... e-26-x-1-5

The Schwalbe City Jet 26" Bike Tyre is slick and fast with an economical Puncture Protected city tyre design. Superb for the rigours of riding at speed in an urban environment.

Schwalbe City Jet Extra InfoSize: 26" x 1.5"Puncture protection black belt Ideal for the riding at fast speed and in the city, great control in wet and slippy conditions.
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

I'm currently using a 26x1.75 Michelin Country Rock up front. No puncture protection layer, but in 3000 miles of riding I've only had one glass puncture so far.