Gear issues

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
trk1983

Gear issues

Post by trk1983 »

I've just bought some new race wheels - shimano R500 (min. 8 speed cassette)- and to fit a 7 speed cassette they apparantely need a spacer. Does this fit on before the cassette (nearest to the spokes) or after the cassette (nearest to the RD)?

This leads me to my second question - I want to put on an 11-28 sized 7 speed cassette but I've only got double on the front - will this laterally overstretch the chain esp. if the spacer is nearest the RD??

And I've got a feeling I'm going to have to get a Deore RD as I don't think Sora RDs can handle sprokets up to 28?

All because I want to cycle up Winnats pass (don't think double and 21 is small enough for 20%).
Jim Crosskell

Re:Gear issues

Post by Jim Crosskell »

Getting up Winnetts depends on the inner ring size and of course on you! Best of luck from a tandem captain with a 16" bottom gear (20t front, 34t back)
ds

Re:Gear issues

Post by ds »

the spacer goes next the spokes.

i cant see why your new set-up should laterally stretch the chain if the old one didnt. if you're worried, be more prudent with your gear selection. 1,2 & 3 in the little ring, 5,6 & 7 in the big one, 4 in either.

still doesnt look right - are you sure you have the right spacer?

the short sora mech may well cope with the extra gears. try it and see before you go to the trouble of fitting the long mech alterantive. try each gear in turn with the bike upside down or on a work stand. apart from sounding a bit rattley, the danger here is that in the lowest gear at the back and the big ring at the front you stretch the chain so tight it will never change back up. if this looks at all likely fit the longer mech.

ds.