Dual Head presta/Shraeder adapter

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tyreon

Dual Head presta/Shraeder adapter

Post by tyreon »

Phoned the retail shop 'H' to enquire if they sold a dual head presta.shraeder adapter. I could buy new hose and/or dual head adapter. 'H' said they didn't sell track pump replacement parts,then on further questioning,said they did(but only limited spares)for Joe Blow. What happens when the adapter goes then? I ask. I know says he,they're always going here. Then the pump then becomes useless,says me. Yeh,you have to buy a new pump he said.

????????????????

I thought any hose would take 'most'/all adapter nozzles,and if not,by using 'securing-gizmo-I-don't-know-its-name,adapter could be made to affix to hose.

Halfords or me got it wrong?
NewHorizon

Re: Dual Head presta/Shraeder adapter

Post by NewHorizon »

Topeak TwinHead Kit - bought one a few years ago for my SKS pump, top quality, all metal head and lever. The old hose was perishing and the SKS head was a pain - fitted the new hose to the base with supplied connector and job done.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-twinhead-kit/
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Jubilee clips are an acceptable way to secure a hose onto a nozzle assuming reasonably good fit.
I should coco.
robgul

Post by robgul »

NewHorizon wrote:Topeak TwinHead Kit - bought one a few years ago for my SKS pump, top quality, all metal head and lever. The old hose was perishing and the SKS head was a pain - fitted the new hose to the base with supplied connector and job done.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-twinhead-kit/

Decathlon sells a pump head like that for a fiver - I bought one for each of my 3 track pumps the other week - excellent lock mechanism and fitting to the existing flexible tube was simple. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/universal-in ... 13670.html

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

£5 for a head seems OK until you realise that you can buy an entire pump in Aldi for £5.99.... mind you either the Btwin head or the Aldi pump mightn't last....

Finding a truly reliable pump head is a real problem.... I've had loads that have seemed OK to start with but they have all ended up junk in the end...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robgul

Post by robgul »

Brucey wrote:£5 for a head seems OK until you realise that you can buy an entire pump in Aldi for £5.99.... mind you either the Btwin head or the Aldi pump mightn't last....

Finding a truly reliable pump head is a real problem.... I've had loads that have seemed OK to start with but they have all ended up junk in the end...

cheers

I was tempted by a track pump on offer in Go Sports in Lille last Friday for 1 Euro! It looked just as good as the one I bought from 10 Francs at a Carrefour in 2000 - that lives in the back of the car and has plenty of use ... including inflating car tyres.

BTW - I had replaced the head on my Park track pump, which is the one I usually use, with a Decathlon head about 4 years ago. The Park head thing was rubbish with poor seals - although pump itself is superb

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had (and still have in the shed) a Topeak Twinhead.
I thought it was wonderful and had no problems until I saw the light.

This in a nutshell is the problem:
If you want 100psi or 120psi, the head works fine for inflation, but when you release, you lose some pressure especially in narrow tyres like mine.

For years I believed that my tubes lost pressure over a day or two because I'd inflate to 120psi, then disconnect (and unbeknown to me, the pressure released took the tube down to 110psi)

Next time I connected, I lost a bit of pressure whilst connecting and saw the gauge at (say) 100psi. I then had to re-inflate +20psi.
Trouble is, if I'd used a separate pressure gauge after disconnecting, I'd have seen that the head allowed pressure to go down and put more in to compensate.

Since finding this out by discussion on here, I bought a Lezyne unit. Excellent bit of kit and zero loss disconnecting and disconnecting.
Mick F. Cornwall
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

You can get just the replacement head units for the Joe Blow, without the hose. I wonder if Leyzene do replacement heads too? It sounds good. I bought one of those Aldi £6 specials - they look just the same as other more expensive ones but they are very poor quality and flimsy.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote:I had (and still have in the shed) a Topeak Twinhead.
I thought it was wonderful and had no problems until I saw the light....

probably your twinhead was old and knackered, or you were pushing it on too far for some reason. You shouldn't lose pressure when disconnecting from a presta valve. When you reconnect you will always get a lower pressure reading because you can't connect anything to the tyre and take a reading without letting some air out of the tyre, it is just a question of how much, not 'if'.

I predict that eventually your Lezyne unit will clap out too and you will buy something newer and 'better'...... 'tis the way of such things. :wink:

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote:
Mick F wrote:I had (and still have in the shed) a Topeak Twinhead.
I thought it was wonderful and had no problems until I saw the light....

probably your twinhead was old and knackered, or you were pushing it on too far for some reason. You shouldn't lose pressure when disconnecting from a presta valve. When you reconnect you will always get a lower pressure reading because you can't connect anything to the tyre and take a reading without letting some air out of the tyre, it is just a question of how much, not 'if'.

I predict that eventually your Lezyne unit will clap out too and you will buy something newer and 'better'...... 'tis the way of such things. :wink:

cheers
I fitted new seals to the Twinhead, but it made no difference. In order to get it to stay in position at 120psi, the head needs to go onto the Presta shaft where it is parallel. Not pushing it far enough ................ and believe me, I experimented! .......... it blows off. Remember, in order to get 120psi into the tube, the pump/hose/head needs quite a bit more of course.

My Lezyne head is fantastic. I have a Lezyne mini pump and I've also bought a new Lezyne track pump. Both of these have the fantastically well designed ABS head. (Air Bleed System)

The ABS system provides a small button on the head so when you've inflated, you press the button and it releases the air out of the pump and hose and NOT out of the tyre. The head then unscrews easily.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I don't understand why your twinhead didn't seal well; I've not had similar issues even at much higher pressures. Possibly there was a problem with the amount the seal was compressed by, or something?

Re the Lezyne; I'm sure it all works jolly well for now. It isn't the only one out there with an air bleed (or indeed the necessity for such). I think they are better made than many but far from indestructible. I know a chap who used a Lezyne track pump in a bike shop and whilst it lasted longer than some, it lasted less than a year before it was kippered.

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote:I don't understand why your twinhead didn't seal well; I've not had similar issues even at much higher pressures.
I had a long thread about it somewhere. Can't be bothered to look for it.

The story of my Twinhead was like this:
I bought it as an upgrade for my Serfas trackpump that had a double unit and a clamping lever. It had two holes Shrader or Presta/Woods and you pushed it on the valve and closed the lever. The unused hole mysteriously seals off and you pump your tyre happily.

The trouble with it, was that when you released the lever, the head was hard to pull off. I didn't like it, so bought the Topeak Twinhead plus tube as a replacement.

All well and good for years - or so I thought.
It wasn't until I professed that I needed to top up my tyres almost daily and said so on here that I began to smell a rat. Maybe the Twinhead needed new seals? so I bought a set and fitted them. Still, it was fine, but I still needed to top up my tyres almost daily.

I smelled another rat, and investigated. The problem is that in order to sit nicely and securely on my Presta valves, I need to push the head far enough on. It won't secure properly unless the head seal is on the parallel part of the Presta shaft. By doing this, it partially opens the Presta valve. Not much, but enough, and the track pump gauge shows a pressure reading. This means that the valve is allowing air out of the tube.

Then, I pump up to pressure. The gauge reads 120psi and I'm happy.
I stop pumping, and release the Twinhead. In the process, the connection between the tube and the pump is broken and in so doing some air escapes before the Presta valve closes through pressure alone. I then screw up the valve expecting that the 120psi remained in the tyre.

I was wrong!
The air escaped, and I finished up with less than 120psi. Let us say it lost 10psi as a round number.

Now, when I use the Lezyne head - even on the same Serfas pump - I connect up and the gauge reads zero. No air is connecting the tyre and the pump so there is no loss. It isn't until I start to pump that the Presta valve lifts. It also means that when I release the pressure in the pump, the Presta valve closes and no pressure escapes then either.

These days, I only have to put air in my tyres once a week, and less so for the front.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yeah, I remember. I've not had similar issues.

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

So you're saying that when you connect up your pump gauge reads zero?
Mick F. Cornwall