The Disc Brake Naughty Corner Thread

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mrjemm

The Disc Brake Naughty Corner Thread

Post by mrjemm »

Here you go guys, a place to come and finish off talking your topic away from thread drifts... Have fun. :D
reohn2

Re: The Disc Brake Naughty Corner Thread

Post by reohn2 »

I'm sat in this corner quietely rocking,with a smile on my face :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

I regularly wish I had disc brakes :wink:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I was using my Kona Cinder Cone classic last weekend and I have to admit that on a slightly eccentric front rim I thought my Deore Vs were a pain after having got used to discs.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I only have disc brakes on my mountain bike. I'm going to put them to good use next weekend, riding across the Norwegian mountains.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Wish my bikes had disc brakes, especially everytime I have to replace a worn rim, in mucky weather and when I have to clean all that aluminium and brake pad gunge off the bikes.

But nothing's perfect and I am sure that living with a disc brake set up has some issues. My only experience is on one of my daughter's MTB, second hand and with hydraulic disks. Pistons that wouldn't retract were one issue with the old Hayes brakes and led me to update to newer Shimano brakes, these are superb but are a pain to bleed.

This recent link was interesting:- http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ure-45088/

The writer makes a great end point about there being no roadside fix for a cracked psiton.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I prefer cable discs. Have both types and enjoy being able to fettle them without worrying about fluid leaking or air getting into system.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Eyebrox wrote:I prefer cable discs. Have both types and enjoy being able to fettle them without worrying about fluid leaking or air getting into system.

I'd never tried them (hydraulics) until we got my wife's Whyte. I have to say, they feel rather lovely. I'm sore tempted.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Something decent from BikeRadar as opposed to 'Video: How to make a chain compressor from a broken spoke'.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ure-45088/
I should coco.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Des49 wrote:Wish my bikes had disc brakes, especially everytime I have to replace a worn rim....

This is the oft quoted benefit of disc brakes, but how often have you replaced a worn rim and after how many miles/km/years?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Graham O wrote:This is the oft quoted benefit of disc brakes, but how often have you replaced a worn rim and after how many miles/km/years?

That depends on riding/weather conditions,dry 'n dusty they'll last,mucky 'n wet can reduce mileage greatly even to replacement being needed annually.
There are special rim coatings to prevent rim wear,but the rims are costly and do last a loonnggggg time.
The only person I know who has such rims(Mavic) openly admits that whilst the braking in dry conditions is good,in the wet it's very poor.
He's tried various pads.

Personally I've yet come across any rim brake system that beats discs for shear well modulated stopping power wet or dry.
Taking into account all ups and downs(I've considered them all),for me there's no contest,discs win out every time.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

First car I owned with disc brakes was a Triumph Herald 12/50, though I've never owned a car with four disc brakes.

I wonder, what is the benefit of rear discs?
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Graham O wrote:
Des49 wrote:Wish my bikes had disc brakes, especially everytime I have to replace a worn rim....

This is the oft quoted benefit of disc brakes, but how often have you replaced a worn rim and after how many miles/km/years?

I have replaced a few worn rims. The most recent was last year on my most-used bike. I-m not sure how many miles were on the wheels; maybe 12,000? But the last ~5000 miles on it were on hilly routes. I have another set of wheels on my hybrid that have more miles on them. I don't have a good idea how many, though. I've had it since 1993, and it still has the original wheels.

I haven't had disc brakes long enough to replace the discs.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
robc02

Post by robc02 »

but how often have you replaced a worn rim and after how many miles/km/years?

A few years ago I was getting through lightweight rims (Mavic Open Pros) about every two winters - this would have included at least one summer. Its hard to put a figure on their mileage but my total annual was around 7000 - 8000, with over half, maybe two thirds of it, on this bike. The lanes near me are pretty muddy and gritty.

It was, of course, impending sidewall failure that made me change the rims, but in each case I noticed that there was corrosion around the spoke hole ferrules, so it is likely that this would have caused me to change the rims some time later. I have since switched to heavier rims for winter use and haven't worn out any sidewalls, but have had to change rims due to damage after hitting potholes. There would have been less urgency to change them if I'd had disc brakes, but I would have done so fairly soon as the ride was so bumpy!

While disc brakes clearly eliminate sidewall wear - the main cause of rims wearing out - it is not the only reason for rim replacement. Of course, there are many variables here, e.g. rim type, rider weight, riding style, road surfaces .......
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My Dobbin has cable discs, my MTB has hydraulic discs but on my Mercian they would spoil the elegant curve of the forks. All three are decent are decent braking systems but if I ever buy another bike it will have discs.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......