Keeping your brain alive in retirement - what do you do?

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Audax67

Re: Keeping your brain alive in retirement - what do you do?

Postby Audax67 » 19 Nov 2017, 11:21am

I'm currently writing my own cycle-routing site based on Google Maps. I had one running a few years back, but it was based on CloudMade, who changed their marketing model from "free, help yourself" to "swingeing monthly fee". I know that there are plenty of routing sites out there, but when you have your own you can add all kinds of do-hickeys to suit yourself.

I'm also getting into electric luthiery, but very slowly since funds took an unexpected knock in the occiput last summer.

My wife, incidentally, got her Masters degree in Medicinal Chemistry when she was 68.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Nov 2017, 8:48pm

Just been to see a film in Italian with German subtitles, I understood a bit of the Italian but often they spoke too fast. There were many good jokes so I scribbled a few notes too, for example:
That is a traffic policeman!
Please explain, I have never seen one before

That should have activated some connections in my brain
Cycling? Of course, but it's far better on a Gillott.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Dec 2017, 1:33pm

I bought a couple of newspapers to read to keep my brain active

One of them was stuffed with advertising, I put the ads in the recycling bin

On the way home I realised the newspapers were not in my bag. Went back to the store and retrieved them from the recycling bin, I had discarded them with the ads

:wink:
Last edited by brynpoeth on 5 Dec 2017, 5:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 5 Dec 2017, 3:33pm

Newspapers?
The only things we use them for is lining the parrot cage and for lighting the fire.
We're running short of them, so we'll ask the local pub for their old ones again.

Not bought a newspaper in years.
Mick F. Cornwall

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Dec 2017, 5:17pm

Mick F wrote:Newspapers?
The only things we use them for is lining the parrot cage and for lighting the fire.
We're running short of them, so we'll ask the local pub for their old ones again.

Not bought a newspaper in years.

Do you still buy books, or is everything digital? I have enough paper books (too many) to see me out

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 5 Dec 2017, 7:39pm

No.
We have books, and I have books, but I rarely read.

I've tried to calculate how many books I've ever read. I'm 65 now, and I think I've maybe read 25 books in my whole life. Could be 30. Don't know, but it's been months or even years since I read a book. Reading is hard work to me. I'm very literate and have no reading issues, but I find it hard work.

Autism perhaps.
Do this questionnaire.
http://aqtest.net
I score in the high 40s.
Mick F. Cornwall

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Dec 2017, 10:23pm

I have read quite a few hundred books, most of them are on the shelves at home

But I am reading fewer now, not so much slowing down but reading the paper every day and the www

Wilhelm Busch: *a simple room with just a bed and a wash basin is right for me. The more one progresses and learns, the more one appreciates simplicity*
WB coined many sayings in German, comparable to Mark Twain in English

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 6 Dec 2017, 11:13am

Treasurer for a couple of organisations I am active in, parish councillor (with an informal highways brief) and secretary for the local sailing club (although I have just passed that on to generate more gardening time...). Oh!, and maintaining a fleet of cycles :roll:
"42"

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 6 Dec 2017, 12:05pm

squeaker wrote:Treasurer for a couple of organisations I am active in, parish councillor (with an informal highways brief) and secretary for the local sailing club (although I have just passed that on to generate more gardening time...). Oh!, and maintaining a fleet of cycles :roll:

That reminds me of the introduction of the €uro, we had to convert at 1.95583 or 0.5119, used up a lot of brain cells

Any plans for GB to introduce the € like Eire? :wink: could be very good for practising mental arithmetic