Keeping your brain alive in retirement - what do you do?

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Canuk

Re: Keeping your brain alive in retirement - what do you do?

Postby Canuk » 19 Nov 2018, 9:19pm

I'm trying to learn all the words for bike parts in French. It's a lot harder than I thought, as many words have changed over the years as technology has advanced. I've made quite the fool of myself twice now in my lbs asking for parts which might have been reasonable in the 1950's but seem kind of stupid in 2018!

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 20 Nov 2018, 12:28pm

Its about a year since I last posted on this thread and things have changed a lot due to my Mrs becoming partially disabled which has been very traumatic and imposed a massive change in our lifestyle. We are very lucky having already travelled everywhere in the world we wanted to. We decided to make a complete change of lifestyle and location having lived in the same house for 40 years. We will be buying a house to share with our daughter and new husband. Our daughter has always wanted to look after us in our dotage so she will fulfill her wish. Our new location will be Devon so there will be a whole new landscape to explore by bike and the chance for me to get away touring whilst my wife is in the care of our daughter. In our new house I will be tasked with constructing a recording studio inside an outbuilding and a garden workshop for my daughters decorative glass business as well as improving the kitchen and making some high raised beds and other changes for my Mrs in the garden. There will be an awful lot for me to do. In my mid 70s I am really looking forward to these new challenges.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 12 Dec 2018, 3:23pm

661-Pete wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:"you may lead a horse to water, but you cannae make her drink"
Well - Google translate offers:
"Możesz doprowadzić konia do wody, ale nie możesz go wypić"
but I seriously doubt whether that makes any sense - let alone being idiomatic!

Viell Kueoek verdiaerwt den Brei
(Muensterland)
Viele Koeche verdirben den Brei
(German)
Too many cooks spoil the broth
(English)
Too much broth fattens the cook
(brynpoeth)
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love STOP signs!

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 6 Mar 2019, 5:40am

Grandchildren! :D
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love STOP signs!

Lance Dopestrong

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 15 Apr 2019, 12:14pm

I read a lot, and keep myself busy with my SAR volunteering, which brings a surprising amount of admin. I regularly shoot to keep my concentration and hand-eye coordination sharp, and because I enjoy it. Design and build ham radio kit, which keeps my brain happily tied in knots for days on end.
https://themediocrecyclist.home.blog
Self employed MIAS L5.B Instructor.
Warwickshire Lowland Rescue Bike lead.
IPMBA member.