English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
thirdcrank

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Post by thirdcrank »

Just seen another professionally liveried tranny with a list of services offered, including
Builders cleans
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

People saying "Sorry ? " when they really mean " what do you mean" or " I didn't quite get that can you repeat please ?" Or I don't believe you " or " I can't believe what I'm hearing "

Which is it?
I am here. Where are you?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Sorry, but it's sorry, i.e. it's shorthand for a whole sentence that doesn't need saying because the listener can supply the rest. Doing so leaves a certain diplomatic uncertainty as to what the quasi-apologizer means, thus potentially avoiding strife.

Sorry about that.

(Personally, I prefer y'what?)
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Audax67 wrote: 3 Nov 2021, 7:42am Sorry, but it's sorry, i.e. it's shorthand for a whole sentence that doesn't need saying because the listener can supply the rest. Doing so leaves a certain diplomatic uncertainty as to what the quasi-apologizer means, thus potentially avoiding strife.
Yes, it's a compressed courtesy.

Of course, as with any usage, it can be overdone.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If I think back to my childhood, saying "sorry" was a sarcastic version of "hard luck."

Round here, out-of-service buses have the message "Sorry - out of service" which has no sense of regret. Similarly - "Sorry for any inconvenience."
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The busses round here used to say, "Sorry - Out of Service" and I often complained to myself that the driver isn't sorry in the slightest!

These days, they just say, "Out of Service".
This is the correct message and is succinct and to the point.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Audax67 wrote: 3 Nov 2021, 7:42am Sorry, but it's sorry, i.e. it's shorthand for a whole sentence that doesn't need saying because the listener can supply the rest. Doing so leaves a certain diplomatic uncertainty as to what the quasi-apologizer means, thus potentially avoiding strife.

Sorry about that.

(Personally, I prefer y'what?)
What?
I am here. Where are you?
sjs

Post by sjs »

Mick F wrote: 3 Nov 2021, 10:41am The busses round here used to say, "Sorry - Out of Service" and I often complained to myself that the driver isn't sorry in the slightest!
But it was the bus that was sorry, not the driver.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 3 Nov 2021, 10:41am The busses round here used to say, "Sorry - Out of Service" and I often complained to myself that the driver isn't sorry in the slightest!

These days, they just say, "Out of Service".
This is the correct message and is succinct and to the point.
Why do you think that the message on a bus is from the driver rather than the operator?

Thanks

Jonathan
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Wilhelmus wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 5:56pm A local hairdressing salon has a professionally printed sign outside proclaiming that the proprietor is 'formally' of another well-known salon in the town. This raises the question (note: it does NOT beg it) of whether it is the responsibility of a sign printer to point out such errors in commissioned work. Always assuming their English is any better than that of their customers.
I think sign writers may occasionally get a good laugh at their clients expense. Probably an in trade joke :lol:
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Yay, just came across a new word: 'linkrot'. Applies to forum archives where a link no longer works, the worst offender being Photobucket photos which are no longer visible or 'watermarked', but some links inevitably just disappear over time. Hasn't particularly plagued this forum but I do rather like the word.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I did rather well in University Challenge last night. Answered more than two :lol:
Dismayed to discover the word perquisite has been lost. Not a single student knew what 'perk' was short for.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Paulatic wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 3:31pm I did rather well in University Challenge last night. Answered more than two :lol:
Dismayed to discover the word perquisite has been lost. Not a single student knew what 'perk' was short for.
This student didn't either! :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

kylecycler wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 4:15pm
Paulatic wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 3:31pm I did rather well in University Challenge last night. Answered more than two :lol:
This student didn't either! :lol:
There's a coincidence. I nearly used the word in the in the Boris Johnson thread yesterday - and I can't remember why I didn't. :oops: