English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Audax67

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Postby Audax67 » 26 Sep 2020, 1:49pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:'Doggered' could be used for 'stranded', meaning a vessel is stuck fast on Dogger Bank

Cue Fascinating Aida...
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Sep 2020, 3:23pm

thirdcrank wrote:If I had a pound for everybody who said they had been robbed when their house had been burgled ......
Wonderful! :D

Robbery and Theft and Burglary are three very different things.
Nicely put TC.
Mick F. Cornwall

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 27 Sep 2020, 3:38pm

Audax67 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:'Doggered' could be used for 'stranded', meaning a vessel is stuck fast on Dogger Bank

Cue Fascinating Aida...

Can't be mentioned too often. Unfortunately the appeal to Scotland doesn't seem to have played out...

; - )

Jonathan

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 27 Sep 2020, 3:39pm

Has anyone come up with a better word for a ship stuck at sea?

Jonathan

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Sep 2020, 6:43pm

I've been considering that question for the past couple of days.
I think there isn't one.

Sea Story Alert! :D

Years ago, I served in HMS Sirius. Joined her in refit in Devonport and we took her out for sea trials.
Seam turbines. Two boilers, two steam turbines, two shafts.
We ...... for some reason I can't remember ........ suffered a total steam failure out beyond Plymouth Sound.
No propulsion whatsoever, so drifted.
It was December and the weather typical December weather.

We had electrical power because we had diesel generators, and the skipper radioed Plymouth for assistance.
A tug came out eventually from the dockyard, but the weather turned bad, and they hadn't the foul weather gear required, so they went back! :lol:
Hours later, another tug came out suitably equipped and towed us back.

Point of this sea story, is that Sirius, like any ship without propulsion, turns sideways to the wind and is blown sideways.
We drifted like that for hours. Mid afternoon until early evening, and drifted some miles.

We were a "Hazard to Shipping" or a "Navigation Hazard" and we were "Adrift without Power" ....... or words like that.
We were't "Stranded" officially, but that's what we all thought we were.

Meanwhile, whilst drifting out of control, we hit a huge buoy which due to our sideways progression, we rode over, and it damaged the very expensive sound-proofing tiles on the hull and wiped out both our very expensive and secret propellors. Sirius was destined to be a frigate for hunting Soviet submarines, so the propellors and sound-proofing were very important. We had to go back into dry dock to sort it all out and it added months to the whole program.
Mick F. Cornwall

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 27 Sep 2020, 6:53pm

Mick F wrote:We were a "Hazard to Shipping" or a "Navigation Hazard" and we were "Adrift without Power" ....... or words like that.
We were't "Stranded" officially, but that's what we all thought we were.

I imagine that some fruitier language also came into play... ?

: - )

Jonathan

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 27 Sep 2020, 10:36pm

Sirius was destined to be a frigate for hunting Soviet submarines, so the propellors and sound-proofing were very important. We had to go back into dry dock to sort it all out and it added months to the whole program.
Yikes! Never mind - could've been worse - could have happened while in middle of playing cat & mouse with Soviet subs up near the Arctic circle!
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 28 Sep 2020, 8:51am

Jdsk wrote:Has anyone come up with a better word for a ship stuck at sea?

Jonathan

Adrift?

profpointy

Postby profpointy » 28 Sep 2020, 12:22pm

Paulatic wrote:Doing my head in at the moment is
"So"
Being used to start sentences originally I thought it was southern young people giving themselves time to think before they delivered. Used like an err. Now it seems to be right through the country even politicians use it. I’ve also noticed it starting posts on here recently too.

"So. The spear-Danes in days gone by,
And the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness"

What a rubbish way to start an epic poem. Admittedly it's a translation, but apart from a Nobel Prize for literature, what does Seamus Heaney know about language

AlaninWales

Postby AlaninWales » 28 Sep 2020, 1:08pm

Mike Sales wrote:
DaveReading wrote:I note that you haven't actually suggested an acceptable alternative that conveys the same meaning as "stranded in mid-Channel".

Our language is very rich in different words with different shades of meaning which could convey more about the particular circumstances of the ferry's problem. I do not recall the details, but the boat might have been adrift without power, or unable to enter harbour because of heavy swell, or , because of leaking bow doors, unable to power into the weather, or whatever.
Stranded in mid-Channel is literally impossible.
English is rich in nautical imagery because an understanding of sea faring and its language was common.

Stranded in mid Channel is perfectly possible :) . Perhaps they had drifted out of the shipping channels and were aground on the Goodwin sands! :wink:

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 5 Oct 2020, 8:22pm

Not reading 56 pages but has anyone else expressed a urge to obliterate any one using the title phrase?

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 6 Oct 2020, 8:49am

mattsccm wrote:Not reading 56 pages but has anyone else expressed a urge to obliterate any one using the title phrase?

:lol: I think that was part of the point of the title.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 6 Oct 2020, 11:20am

Vorpal wrote:
mattsccm wrote:Not reading 56 pages but has anyone else expressed a urge to obliterate any one using the title phrase?

:lol: I think that was part of the point of the title.

So I'd be gutted if you did that.
John

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 6 Oct 2020, 11:26am

Just as an aside, language is dynamic - each generation / social group will adapt it and use their own new forms - get over it. That's not to say we don't find it annoying sometimes, but perhaps best to recall King Canute...
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 6 Oct 2020, 2:19pm

simonineaston wrote:Just as an aside, language is dynamic - each generation / social group will adapt it and use their own new forms - get over it. That's not to say we don't find it annoying sometimes, but perhaps best to recall King Canute...

That doesn't mean that we should let the howlers go by without saying anything, especially now that the internet makes it so easy to promulgate ignorance.

"If it's still here in 50 years it's evolution, but right now it's just wrong."
Have we got time for another cuppa?