English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Audax67

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Post by Audax67 »

There are places 15 miles outside Belfast where I can't understand them.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote:Some British people say the 'r' sound very softly.
That's certainly true! One way in which foreigners invariably recognise the Brit (or more specifically the Englishman/woman abroad) is by their inability to pronounce their 'r's.

I remember when I was learning Spanish, we were instructed to pronounce our 'r's very distinctly, and the doubled 'rr' even more so - it is important to observe the distinction. So we were set a sort of exercise: imagine reading out a notice as might be displayed at a public building or park, with the words "NO PEROS: NO PERROS" - literally "no buts: no dogs". Learning to say the phrase clearly so that a Hispanic would understand, is quite a trial.

I hear similar pronunciation differences and accents in Norwegian; they can make it quite difficult for me to understand.
I don't speak any Norwegian but I am fully aware that it's actually two languages: Bokmål and Nynorsk. And that these are not very mutually intelligible. Does a lot of the difficulty in Norway stem from these differences? Just curious.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Less unique? :?:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:I don't speak any Norwegian but I am fully aware that it's actually two languages: Bokmål and Nynorsk. And that these are not very mutually intelligible. Does a lot of the difficulty in Norway stem from these differences? Just curious.

Bokmål and Nynorsk are kind of made up languages, insomuch as they needed official (legal) languages. Bokmål and Nynorsk bear as much relationship to how people speak everyday as Oxford English does to what you hear in the streets of Dagenham or the Yorkshire dales.

And Bokmål and Nynorsk are only official as written languages. There is no guidance about how to speak them. People speak their own dialects. More people write Bokmål than Nynorsk, but most dialects are more similar to Nynorsk than Bokmål. Like BBC English, the broadcaster versions of Bokmål and Nynorsk are quite pure and carefully enunciated. I think that most people who understand Norwegian can understand the broadcasters form of both.

There are two other unofficial versions of the language, Riksmål and Høgnorsk. Riksmål is more like Danish (the Danes ruled here 300 years & Danish was the legal language during that time). Høgnorsk is kind of the posh version of Nynorsk from what I understand.

There are also several Sami languages. In the eastern parts of Norway, there is a fair amount of mixing with Swedish, and many Norwegians understand Swedish and watch Swedish television. I understand sort of 90% of everyday Norwegian (local dialect), that becomes about 60 or 70% when I am listening to Swedish. I understand less talking to someone with a very different dialect speaking Norwegian.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Less unique? :?:

The predominance of television and government standards for education and that sort of thing mean that the way people speak English across Britain or the USA varies less than it did a generation or two ago, and much less than 4 generations ago. b So dialects are less unique than they once were.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I think bmblzzz was referring to your use of the phrase "less unique" - considered (leastways, by many a schoolteacher) to be the grossest solecism which it's possible to commit in the English language .... "unique" is meant to be an absolute and cannot have comparatives ..... etc. etc.

Anyway, no matter :wink: .

Thanks anyway Vorpal for your insight into Norwegian. This would be of even more interest to my son, who has a keen interest in languages and their diversity (although he's hardly a polyglot himself - he speaks a bit of Russian and that's it). He travels a lot, and recently went to Papua New Guinea, probably the most language-diverse country in the world. Just about every village there has its own language - and they're often mutually unintelligible.

I certainly have had difficulties in following some English-speakers, though I'd not like to finger any particular region as being especially obtuse.

In France, however - even if I were more fluent than I am - it can be a nightmare! Especially in rural areas, so many folks speak a sort of local patois. In 'our' region, bordering on the Languedoc, I suspect there's still plenty of Occitan influence in speech, although one comes across the Occitan language mainly in the form of alternative placenames (e.g. "Cahors" becomes "Caurs") - like what you see in Scotland, Wales and Ireland.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

661-Pete wrote:I think bmblzzz was referring to your use of the phrase "less unique" - considered (leastways, by many a schoolteacher) to be the grossest solecism which it's possible to commit in the English language .... "unique" is meant to be an absolute and cannot have comparatives ..... etc. etc.

This. And also another :wink: ; had it been in any other thread, I would have ignored it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Pronounce that Mick F :)
"Milngavie"
Been there.
Have you? :wink:

As a family, we didn't live too far from there back in the 80s.
Just up the road from Glasgow beyond Bearsden.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.94026 ... 151862,13z

For the uninitiated, it's pronounced ................. Mull Guy.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Pronounce that Mick F :)
"Milngavie"
Been there.
Have you? :wink:

As a family, we didn't live too far from there back in the 80s.
Just up the road from Glasgow beyond Bearsden.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.94026 ... 151862,13z

For the uninitiated, it's pronounced ................. Mull Guy.

Walked the west Highland Way 1980 Xmas (starts there), camped on a track adjacent to loch Lomond, new years eve revellers kept me awake trudging past my tent :?
Up to my thighs in snow coming over the hill to the loch :) Saw an ice cube perfectly transparent on the river feeding the loch.....the size of my house :o Walked over a stream and no sooner I hit the other bank a snow ball size of my 100 litre rucksack fell through the trees and smashed into the stream where I crossed :mrgreen:

How do you like the weather down south compared to Scotland .
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

When we moved to Scotland the second time, one daughter was 7, the other 4 ................ both had been born is Scotland.
We left Plymouth is the September of 1982 with the girls in summer dresses and sandals.

Within the first day or two, we had to buy them coats, warm jumpers, wellies and hats.
Even though we'd lived up there before, it still took us by surprise.

Why anyone lives there permanently, I'll never know.
Mick F. Cornwall
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

The current trend for politicians to say "nego-cee-ate" instead of "nego-she-ate" like they did until Tony B.Liar came along.

People that say "skeleNton".

Anything that comes out the mouth of that smug, conceited plum that is Stephen Fry.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:I think bmblzzz was referring to your use of the phrase "less unique" - considered (leastways, by many a schoolteacher) to be the grossest solecism which it's possible to commit in the English language .... "unique" is meant to be an absolute and cannot have comparatives ..... etc. etc.

Anyway, no matter :wink: .

Thanks anyway Vorpal for your insight into Norwegian. This would be of even more interest to my son, who has a keen interest in languages and their diversity (although he's hardly a polyglot himself - he speaks a bit of Russian and that's it). He travels a lot, and recently went to Papua New Guinea, probably the most language-diverse country in the world. Just about every village there has its own language - and they're often mutually unintelligible.

I certainly have had difficulties in following some English-speakers, though I'd not like to finger any particular region as being especially obtuse.

In France, however - even if I were more fluent than I am - it can be a nightmare! Especially in rural areas, so many folks speak a sort of local patois. In 'our' region, bordering on the Languedoc, I suspect there's still plenty of Occitan influence in speech, although one comes across the Occitan language mainly in the form of alternative placenames (e.g. "Cahors" becomes "Caurs") - like what you see in Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

I recommend this book about threatened languages at every opportunity:
Spoken here, by Mark Abley
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Some British people say the 'r' sound very softly.
That's certainly true! One way in which foreigners invariably recognise the Brit (or more specifically the Englishman/woman abroad) is by their inability to pronounce their 'r's.

I remember when I was learning Spanish, we were instructed to pronounce our 'r's very distinctly, and the doubled 'rr' even more so - it is important to observe the distinction. So we were set a sort of exercise: imagine reading out a notice as might be displayed at a public building or park, with the words "NO PEROS: NO PERROS" - literally "no buts: no dogs". Learning to say the phrase clearly so that a Hispanic would understand, is quite a trial.

I hear similar pronunciation differences and accents in Norwegian; they can make it quite difficult for me to understand.
I don't speak any Norwegian but I am fully aware that it's actually two languages: Bokmål and Nynorsk. And that these are not very mutually intelligible. Does a lot of the difficulty in Norway stem from these differences? Just curious.

In German the *problem* is that an English speaker CAN pronounce *r*, it sounds different and betrays one immediately

What about *no perrons* (platforms)? In German we have *Gleis*, track and *Bahnsteig*, platform. Plenty of words come from French - Chausee, Etage, Bouleversement. When one has used a language long enough one has alternatives if one is not sure how to pronounce *negotiate* for example
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
sjs

Post by sjs »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:The current trend for politicians to say "nego-cee-ate" instead of "nego-she-ate" like they did until Tony B.Liar came along.

People that say "skeleNton".

And when did "nuclear" become "nucular"?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

sjs wrote:And when did "nuclear" become "nucular"?
Probably at about the same time as when Wednesday became "Wens-day"