English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Post by Mick F »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Nah, it would be one beans, two beans. One is enough for me, with two eggs, usually; sometimes I'll have two beans, one egg. Eggses and beanses preferred to raw fisheses. 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We've just had beans on toast for tea. Yum!
Mrs Mick F had a slice of toast and some beans, and I had two slices of toast and twice as much beans. One tin between us.

She had one beans on one toast, and I had two beans on two toasts. :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:We've just had beans on toast for tea. Yum!
Mrs Mick F had a slice of toast and some beans, and I had two slices of toast and twice as much beans. One tin between us.

She had one beans on one toast, and I had two beans on two toasts. :lol: :lol:

I thought one should have five a day of fruit /veg, five beans. Or five peas. Or five pineapples..
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

Try managing a team and insisting that emails start with Good Morning/Afternoon not "Hi" and regards... some of the reactions I have equate to almost you are invading my civil liberties.... Let alone insisting a polite tone in emails... or god forbid expecting a polite reply, one of my team when asked for an update stated "if I don't reply you should assume it's done"....... I am not even going into: poor grammar; spelling and punctuation...

I am not a grammar Nazi either, I just expect politeness and clarity, if you make a mistake etc.. it's not problem but a complete lack of care shows just that "a lack of care".

I also don't agree with the argument that, "it's old fashioned" or "outdated" for me it is simply how do you want other people to view you.. often written communication is the only way you get a chance to present yourself. I do however like the odd smiley attached it can convey a lighter sense when the other person can't see through the written language to an emotion.

Regards to all :D
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
rjb

Post by rjb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I thought one should have five a day of fruit /veg, five beans. Or five peas. Or five pineapples..

Ok I'm having 5 chocolate Oranges! Yum yum :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

DarkNewt wrote:Try managing a team and insisting that emails start with Good Morning/Afternoon not "Hi" and regards... some of the reactions I have equate to almost you are invading my civil liberties.... Let alone insisting a polite tone in emails... or god forbid expecting a polite reply, one of my team when asked for an update stated "if I don't reply you should assume it's done"....... I am not even going into: poor grammar; spelling and punctuation...

I am not a grammar Nazi either, I just expect politeness and clarity, if you make a mistake etc.. it's not problem but a complete lack of care shows just that "a lack of care".

I also don't agree with the argument that, "it's old fashioned" or "outdated" for me it is simply how do you want other people to view you.. often written communication is the only way you get a chance to present yourself. I do however like the odd smiley attached it can convey a lighter sense when the other person can't see through the written language to an emotion.

Regards to all :D

I think that for e-mails inside the organisation one may write briefly without formal greeting, e-mail enables much more communication to take place and increases efficiency :wink:

Instead of the correct grammar we learned at school I would encourage the use of Kiss, keep it short and simple.

I read once of an organisation that banned e-mails, for a while at least. How did that work? Have you tried it?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Graham wrote:I'm passionate . . . . . . . . :wink:

Get too close at your own risk !

Any time I hear "passionate" used, I substitute "deranged".

It is maybe not quite the right word when one works in plastic extrusion moulding for example. Although surely some people love doing that.

But I worked at Britain’s premier heritage railway, the Watercress Line. We identified with our work and loved it, came in unpaid at weekends. Passion, enthusiasm, belief would be appropriate words
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just remembered one that has got to me for many years.
Cattle grids:

There's a gate to one side, and there's a sign on the gate proclaiming it's for "Horse Drawn Vehicles and Animals"
When was the last time you saw a horse drawn animal? :lol: :lol:

The sign should say, " Animals and Horse Drawn Vehicles"
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

The word ' iconic ', it seems to be all over the media nowadays.
Nu-Fogey
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Bespoke.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

colin54 wrote:The word ' iconic ', it seems to be all over the media nowadays.

+1
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

"You can", instead of "one may", can instead of may

But I don't get so annoyed about it. Instead I use "one" a lot and people wonder where I learnt English :wink:
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

"You have got to move on"
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Where I used to work, there was a sign where the pavement went round a steep slope. The sign was set on the slope and read, 'No Access to Pedestrians'. I always wondered who were the pedestrians to which I was being denied access. I thought they must have been downright interesting in order for the company to deny us access to them :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Love it! :lol:
Should have been, "No Pedestrian Access"

I was musing over my issue with "horse drawn vehicles and animals" whilst riding this morning.
It's like asking someone to say what the difference is between "squashed oranges and lemons", and "lemons and squashed oranges".

It all in where the verb is placed in the sentence.
Mick F. Cornwall