English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
661-Pete

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote:Something else that irritates me is the spreading use of some short words to attract attention in headlines. It's probably always been the way in some newspapers but "fury" seems to have replaced annoyance and "slam" has done the same to criticise.

Remember that tabloids don't have the space - nor the readership - to permit them to use longer words. What was it they used to say about the Daily Sketch - "words of one syllable"? Mind you, the Sketch (which disappeared in 1971) was positively scholarly compared with some of today's offerings...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Having looked up in Wiki, my last post points to what could be a good (albeit difficult) pub quiz question:
"Where did English follow French in 1969?"
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

661-Pete wrote:Having looked up in Wiki, my last post points to what could be a good (albeit difficult) pub quiz question:
I used to know Clive English and John French when I was in the RN. Both in HMS Gurkha if my memory serves me correctly. Maybe they were in a queue. :lol:

661-Pete wrote:I seem to recall that, when I was in my teens, and old enough to have to fill in forms now and then, but still at school: where it came to the question "Occupation" I used to write "Student".
I wrote "scholar", and I think that was the term that was used on my "previous employment" on my RN records.
Mick F. Cornwall
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

The use of the word 'ironically', when quite the opposite is true!
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Canuk wrote:The use of the word 'ironically', when quite the opposite is true!

I'm not sure how to take that !
Nu-Fogey
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

nigelnightmare wrote:
Psamathe wrote:An expression that I detest is "Thank you for ..." when you have not yet done it (i.e. as a way of asking you to do something).

Today saw a sign at the start of some road works saying "Thank you for driving carefully through road works" (or words to that effect). Why can't they ask just say "Please drive carefully through road works" - a request which is what they are asking you to do.

Ian

Then they would have to make another sign for the end to say "Thank you for driving carefully through the road works" costing twice as much.

How about road sign's

SLOW instead of DRIVE SLOWLY.

SLOW CHILDREN CROSSING.
What about the FAST ones?
What about the gifted/intelligent ones?

Lollipop sign's STOP CHILDREN.
What are we supposed to stop them from doing?

I've always said that "If you whack them with the lollipop sign they'll stop", if not then you didn't whack them hard enough. :twisted:

Dead :!: right. Road signs must be as short and clear as possible, no need for politeness. Virtue is its own reward.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
peetee

Post by peetee »

Road signs must be as short and clear as possible

But then you get one's like this:

TITCHFIELD VILLAGE ONLY TOILETS

Are we to assume

a) Titchfield village is comprised of toilets and nothing else?

b) Titchfield village will only allow visitors that are toilets?

c) The road planners have been given conflicting information and have decided to include both on the sign?

d) The residents of Tichfield village AND ONLY the residents of Titchfield village may visit these toilets.

e) Down that road is Titchfield. There are also toilets that can be used only by people with the name 'Village'

It's getting silly now so i will stop but please fire away with any other alternatives.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Radio 4, the station we love to hate.

Uses for example "getting under way" instead of "starts" or "is at", uses "shows no sign of abating" instead of "continues".

Makes me ashamed to be bri.......

:cry:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
horizon

Post by horizon »

thirdcrank wrote:Something else that irritates me is the spreading use of some short words to attract attention in headlines. It's probably always been the way in some newspapers but "fury" seems to have replaced annoyance and "slam" has done the same to criticise.

Get ready to say goodbye to the word "choice" (selection was already beyond the pale). Headline writers are short of space but the word "pick" now appears in any description of choice. This isn't journalese - this is infantilisation. Trump's "pick" for Defense (sic) Secretary?

Or, "The survey of 3,200 castaway music choices by Radio Times found that classical music began to decline in popularity from the 2000s, making up one in five picks (21%) in 2016. The most popular genre last year was pop music, which comprised 28% of selections." That's from the Guardian, where there is obviously a battle going on.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

horizon

I went to the dentist this morning and thought of you. As I was leaving she advised me to be careful as the freezing conditions had made the path outside slippy.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Having looked up in Wiki, my last post points to what could be a good (albeit difficult) pub quiz question:
I used to know Clive English and John French when I was in the RN. Both in HMS Gurkha if my memory serves me correctly. Maybe they were in a queue. :lol:
You may be right, but that's not my answer. I've just discovered I posted this question nearly 3 months ago, and never looked to see if anyone had tried answering it!

Anyway David English was the last full-time editor of the now-defunct Daily Sketch tabloid, having succeeded Howard French in that role in 1969. In 1971 he moved to the Daily Fail editorship which he held until 1992, followed by Dacre.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

peetee wrote:TITCHFIELD VILLAGE ONLY TOILETS

f) The good folk of Titchfield have such disreputable hovels to live in, that the residents of the neighbouring villages have declared that they are no better than toilets. And have had a sign painted to reinforce their point.
g) These self-same good folk of Titchfield suffer from a form of collective diarrhoea. All their wakeful time is occupied in relieving themselves, to the exclusion of all other activity.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Talking of R4, and other broadcasts, the expression when the death of someone is announced ................

"Sadly died"

or

"Died sadly"

How do they know they were sad?
Mick F. Cornwall
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

Canuk wrote:The use of the word 'ironically', when quite the opposite is true!

don't cha think?

i don't like 'turned around and said'. it implies conversation without dramatic shifts in tone is conducted by parties facing away from each other... an it well isn't!
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

People calling perry "pear cider".

Using "existential threat" to mean 'serious threat' or 'threat to the existence of'.

Calling coaches "buses".