English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
loch eck steve

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ??

Post by loch eck steve »

what does my head in ? people who use txt talk when writing things down , sure u no what i mean . LOL :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

loch eck steve wrote:what does my head in ? people who use txt talk when writing things down , sure u no what i mean . LOL :D

+1
Even on this forum I sometimes have to use Google to translate what is actually being said.

Ian
honesty

Post by honesty »

Ray wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Many people (on this side of the Atlantic) get understandably grumpy when so-called 'Americanisms' creep into the language.

My view is, if the text originates from America (or other countries that mostly follow US English), then it should be left as it is. I always feel that there's something that doesn't ring true, if I read something by an American author that's been converted to English English. . . .
. . . . This half-and-half Anglicisation is rather annoying. I would rather the book had been left in the original US version.

Agreed. In a similar way, recorded readings from US writings just sound better in the appropriate local accent. Anyone reading an American novel would almost certainly be aware of the potential differences from British English, and should make allowances.

Some differences, however, can be troublesome. The use of alternate to mean alternative first occurred in the US (I believe?), and has now been adopted quite widely over here, despite the two words having completely different meanings previously. You mentioned 'pants' rather than 'trousers', which could cause confusion, or even embarrassment. It's enough to drive you 'nuts'; and there's another example!

When I was younger I went and lived in the US for a year. I also smoked at the time. Without thinking I asked a friend if I could "bum a fag" off him. The look I got back was priceless. It took me a few second but I had to turn and slowly say "I mean can I have a cigarette".
horizon

Post by horizon »

sjs wrote:"Ahead of", as in "ahead of the meeting". Why not "before"? Not sure how recent it is, but the BBC uses it a lot, and it irritates me.

I was surprised Graham chanced it with this thread (the pedantry accusation) but it's nice to know that one isn't alone. I also noticed ahead a lot and then you wonder what we used before it (or even ahead of it). My own bugbears (apart from many already mentioned such as appeal and protest against) are as follows but most things that annoy are those where the author/speaker has simply used the American form:

1. The American use of likely, as in "It will likely rain today."
2. Verbs that were previously passive used actively: "the door opened" was always used dramatically but we now have "The book will publish on Friday while the film launches next year" and many others.
3. The band played the same concert hall last year.
4. Any time soon - but that's almost sweet now.
5. Seniors
6. The use of the word "to" - watch out for it, it's everywhere.
7. The demise of "-ing". In fact enjoy "-ing" while it lasts (no more meter readings for example).
8. The use of the historic present (but that's a whole thread on its own).
9. Titled instead of entitled (unless it's Lord of the Rings)
10. Movies (Gosh, horizon, now you're really dredging them up! Ed.)
11. Letting people go
12. Train station (if I had to choose one it would be this).
13. Different than
14. Forgot your password? Yes, but I found it thank you. But now I've forgotten it again.
15. Bathroom
16. A bunch of people someplace else
17. The exact same thing
18. Buddy
19. Hey! (at the beginning of threads)
20. Smart and dumb
21. Me and my friends (not that you'll have many left if this goes on much longer horizon Ed.)
22. The kids
Last edited by horizon on 24 Oct 2015, 1:11am, edited 13 times in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

700c wrote:In a decade from now we will have words and phrases totally new.

They won't be totally new though: they'll simply be slavishly and uncritically copied from American English (and unwittingly betray the author's own lack of cultural sophistication and awareness. :wink: :wink: :wink:). Really new words or their usage can be celebrated: it's hard to get excited about the language of someone whose main cultural influence was endlessly regurgitated episodes of Friends.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

It's a learning curve.

Everybody's on one these days. Many who use it appear to be "flatlining"* in my experience.

*which might be another.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Psamathe wrote:
loch eck steve wrote:what does my head in ? people who use txt talk when writing things down , sure u no what i mean . LOL :D

+1
Even on this forum I sometimes have to use Google to translate what is actually being said.

Ian

I many a time have to do that after getting texts off my daughter :D :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Less
Fewer
There's a difference!

Misuse of apostrophes.
Poor punctuation.

I can forgive spelling mistakes, but not mixing up were, where or we're ............ or their, there or they're. Not to mention which and witch!
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

8. The use of the historic present (but that's a whole thread on its own).

Yep, thread of it's own, but speaking with my theoretical archaeologist's hat* on, I would say that use of the historic present is actually correct.

*That is to say: an archaeologist that does theory rather than someone who is in theory an archaeologist....although at the moment I guess either would suffice.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Language is constantly evolving. Watching the recent BBC TV programmes on the 100 year war it was fascinating to see the old manuscripts and how English has changed so much. In those days they never did O Levels in Language and Literature, there was no standard and no doubt huge regional variations. The Oxford English dictionary is the gold standard of commonly accepted English. Every year it adds words and strikes words out. Its the same with phrases and coloquialisms, they come and go, and so many things are wonderfully graphic descriptions - 'budgie smugglers' for instance.. We all understand 'doin my ed in!'and recognise that its a certain sort of speech from ahem.. the lower orders, but its accepted.

My attitude is, I heartily dislike pedantry, and my response is " just relax man and go listen to the Eagles or somethin… Gday y'all! " :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:Less
Fewer
There's a difference!

I listened to an interesting discussion regarding this a few weeks ago and have calmed down somewhat about the use of less in speech where fewer would be correct. Written language is another matter though :D
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mixing up of "berth"and "birth" in caravan or motorhome adverts.

Eg. For sale - "5 birth caravan - usual wear and tear".
It's guaranteed to make me avoid the item!!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

horizon wrote:7. The demise of "-ing". In fact enjoy "-ing" while it lasts (no more meter readings for example).

Ugh, yes. "Feels" instead of "feelings".
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I wish motorists would curb their instincts to drive us into kerbs.
gaz

Re: English Language - what "Does your head in" ?

Post by gaz »

The use of two question marks for emphasis :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade